PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide what frame type

link
08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
So I threw down in July '06 for a piece of Sacha's art. I figured I'll have some divine intervention on what I really want/need by the time July '08 rolls around. I keep praying for that realization ...nothin'.

I'm playing eenie meenie mynie mo between:
road SS or road geared either one with lugs
MTB 29er SS or geared either one filet brazed with rigid fork
Cross
Rando
Tour

WWJD?

Then I'm gonna have to come up with a color. Arrgh!

Fixed
08-07-2007, 08:57 AM
one bike ?
cheers :beer:

i'd rule out a s.s. road unless you are thinking fixed imho
cheers

paulh
08-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Clearly you need more time to think about it. How 'bout giving me your spot in line and you more carefully evaluate all the options? :rolleyes:

darylb
08-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Chopper? :banana:

sg8357
08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Think of a good story to tell Mr. White.

Like it is 1952, the Giro is on, Fausto needs a new bike.
What would Sasha build for Fausto ?

A 1952 Vanilla race bike for the unpaved passes of Italy ?
Then you take said bike to the L'Eroica.

Scott G.
WWFD ?

Jack Brunk
08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
My Vanilla is being built starting this week or next. I'm a little nervous waiting to hear what the final version will be.

fiamme red
08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/nahmbs064/vanilla_tricycle_front_3quarter.jpg

link
08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
one bike ?
cheers :beer:

i'd rule out a s.s. road unless you are thinking fixed imho
cheers

If you're askin' am I gettin' just one ...yes - just one.

Why rule out the road SS? I live in the Central Rockies - going downhill 'round these parts on a fixed seems like a brutal endeavor. But I am unwashed when it comes to the fixed religion. Please help me clean up my act and 'splain the gospel so I can at least pose like I know.

This morning on my run with the dog and the baby in her chariot I began to ponder the order.

Let's go last to first...

MTB anything. I jus' gotta think that there are so many fine MTB frame options that could be ordered and delivered within 4-6 weeks. And it's a MTB fer petey's sake.

Touring... It'll look beeautiful once it's freshly delivered. But a touring bike is meant to be used and abused - left out in the rain like a bad dog - laying on its side - chained to the fence - tossed aorund by baggage handlers.

Cross... there are so few cross races 'round here. There's Brecktoberfest and a couple others. I'm not interested in driving to the Front Range to follow the circuit. I race MTB all summer and I look forward to fall time as a time to road and mtb in Moab and Fruita.

Randonneur... What a lovely thought. It would be beautiful - fenders - a front rack - mebe lights. There's a great Rando schedule every year that I would love to join. Heck, I'd even take a year off the race team to make that happen.

Road... so classic. But how classic do I go? SS - is that classic enough? Fixed - do I throw down and go fixed even though I sourrounded by so many hills and mountains? Geared - so ulititarian... do I dare put gears on my work of art? Kinda like a metal picture frame with acrylic cover over a Picasso. Or am I turning into a nut job with all this talk of "art"? Definitely going with a metal fork with a schweet crown and horizontal TT ...definitely... if I go this route. Maybe some polished lugs too.

Thoughts?

coylifut
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
how about a nice road bike with with horizontal dropout and just enough clearance and fittings to attach fenders if you ever do get the Rando calling. since the drops are horizontal you could change your mind and go fixed at a later date. that way, you're not committed to anything, but you are not limited either

Len J
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
If you're askin' am I gettin' just one ...yes - just one.

Why rule out the road SS? I live in the Central Rockies - going downhill 'round these parts on a fixed seems like a brutal endeavor. But I am unwashed when it comes to the fixed religion. Please help me clean up my act and 'splain the gospel so I can at least pose like I know.

This morning on my run with the dog and the baby in her chariot I began to ponder the order.

Let's go last to first...

MTB anything. I jus' gotta think that there are so many fine MTB frame options that could be ordered and delivered within 4-6 weeks. And it's a MTB fer petey's sake.

Touring... It'll look beeautiful once it's freshly delivered. But a touring bike is meant to be used and abused - left out in the rain like a bad dog - laying on its side - chained to the fence - tossed aorund by baggage handlers.

Cross... there are so few cross races 'round here. There's Brecktoberfest and a couple others. I'm not interested in driving to the Front Range to follow the circuit. I race MTB all summer and I look forward to fall time as a time to road and mtb in Moab and Fruita.

Randonneur... What a lovely thought. It would be beautiful - fenders - a front rack - mebe lights. There's a great Rando schedule every year that I would love to join. Heck, I'd even take a year off the race team to make that happen.

Road... so classic. But how classic do I go? SS - is that classic enough? Fixed - do I throw down and go fixed even though I sourrounded by so many hills and mountains? Geared - so ulititarian... do I dare put gears on my work of art? Kinda like a metal picture frame with acrylic cover over a Picasso. Or am I turning into a nut job with all this talk of "art"? Definitely going with a metal fork with a schweet crown and horizontal TT ...definitely... if I go this route. Maybe some polished lugs too.

Thoughts?

IMO.

If you want it as art, hang it on the wall.

Think about it a little different, it might help. What type of bike would you get the most enjoyment out of? Once you answer that, then design the bike for that purpose.

You can always get it repainted in 10 years or so, Sacha will always be willing to check the frame for you, so why not use it?

I think you are stuck on being afraid to make a mistake. You're thinking about being upset because of the choices you don't make. let go. Just order what you will ride. The rest is gravy.

Len

Mark$ter
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9231&highlight=buttery+capital

I had Nic Schmidt build this for me. I had received a Chris Kvale a couple months before. Sadly, the Kvale gets ridden maybe 1 out of 5 times now. Happily, I can ride the CAPITAL anywhere and everywhere I would ride the Kvale WITH any other surface I damn well please mixed in. I just replaced the FIRST drivetrain it ever had after who knows how many thousand miles in 2 and a 1/2 years it had on it, and I've never had to true the wheels. It is truly a just "go out and play - no strings attached" kind of bike. I'm so glad I went this route. I dunno, something for you to think about, eh? I don't envy your position right now.

big shanty
08-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I agree with Mark.....a versatile road "rider" with fender mounts, suitable for a wider tire and some rough stuff. Lugged!!!!

Fixed
08-07-2007, 02:10 PM
bro I not that smart but if i had one bike it might be a cross.. cos you can go off road or road . you can always get a rear wheel (white inds. ) that will let you make it fixed ... bike ..my work bike is a fixed gear mt. bike if i were you i'd ask the builders advise he might come up with something really hip..imho
cheers good luck :beer:

what you had in mind first when you ordered you bike might be the best 2nd guessing gives me a headache ...
cheers

Ken Robb
08-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with Mark.....a versatile road "rider" with fender mounts, suitable for a wider tire and some rough stuff. Lugged!!!!
Yep, something with no/few limitations so you are free to explore any road or path you cross.

PB Wrench is here on business and loving my Hampsten Strada Bianca. On my introductory sight-seeing ride Saturday we went of smooth pavement, crappy pavement and no pavement due to a detour through the local cross course. We were on 700x25 tires and I know 700x28 to 32 would be better because I have them on othert bikes.

A race bike is fun too but I would always want other bikes with broader capabilities too. Lugs are gorgeous.

Grant McLean
08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
how about a nice road bike with with horizontal dropout and just enough clearance and fittings to attach fenders if you ever do get the Rando calling. since the drops are horizontal you could change your mind and go fixed at a later date. that way, you're not committed to anything, but you are not limited either

I don't disagree that you describe a 'smart' choice, but it's not what i'd order,
not from a creative guy like Sasha.

The special thing about Vanilla bikes is the lengths he goes to make everything
so specific for the use. Like the integrated seatpost 'cross bike, and the
custom 1 piece bar/stem combos.

For the same reason that seatpost shims and b/o front derailleur clamp-ons suck,
you have to get exactly what you want.... atmo...

-g

14max
08-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Ginger
08-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Yep, I wouldn't do the mountain bike...

Other than that, what riding do you enjoy the most? What riding do you have in your future with the kids and whatnot? After the kids are outta the house?

Any bike you get built will be able to be repainted and repaired if you scuff it up. Pick the riding you love the most.

My first custom was an all-arounder, a Montana road bike from Dave Kirk because the bulk of my riding IS whereever I want to go, pavement, dirt roads, trails, even some single track. It has mounts for fenders, and I think a rear rack for light loads.

My next custom will be a race style bike (I hope). Fast century rides, fast group rides. I'm looking forward to it.

Pete Serotta
08-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Here is a great looking, and in my opinion a well designed frame, from Curt Goodrich. ( this might even be DBRKs but I do not know), I LUST FOR THIS ONE!!!!

http://curtgoodrich.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=10

Ahneida Ride
08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Here is a great looking, and in my opinion a well designed frame, from Curt Goodrich. ( this might even be DBRKs but I do not know), I LUST FOR THIS ONE!!!!

http://curtgoodrich.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=10

ME TOO Pete !

link
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I really (over) analyze stuff ...all the time in everything I do. Sometimes it pays off ...sometimes I end up where I started. I'm an artist type who'll sweat buckets over detail ...a real pain in the *** sometimes maybe more. I'm gonna go with it though. It's all I got. No changing course now.

So, I'm kinda rowing the same boat as Grant. I can get a franken bike from a lot of quick order sources. Hey, that's a good thing. And... not to put Mr. White on a pedestal, but he's delivering a degree of detail, thoughtfullness and execution that many don't for a mirad of reasons. That's why the guy is backed up now (I hear) to four years. So, it makes sense to me that I should really capitalize on those aspects. And I better do it quick before the guy packs his bags and slips away to Honduras for good.

I'll keep you guys tuned in when I've got something of substance. Right now I'm just talking out loud to help relieve the pressure in my head. I 'preciate it very much ...you guys letting me vent.

Ginger
08-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I really (over) analyze stuff ...all the time in everything I do. Sometimes it pays off ...sometimes I end up where I started. I'm an artist type who'll sweat buckets over detail ...a real pain in the *** sometimes maybe more. I'm gonna go with it though. It's all I got. No changing course now.

So, I'm kinda rowing the same boat as Grant. I can get a franken bike from a lot of quick order sources. Hey, that's a good thing. And... not to put Mr. White on a pedestal, but he's delivering a degree of detail, thoughtfullness and execution that many don't for a mirad of reasons. That's why the guy is backed up now (I hear) to four years. So, it makes sense to me that I should really capitalize on those aspects. And I better do it quick before the guy packs his bags and slips away to Honduras for good.

I'll keep you guys tuned in when I've got something of substance. Right now I'm just talking out loud to help relieve the pressure in my head. I 'preciate it very much ...you guys letting me vent.

Is this your first "custom to you" frame?

Have you asked Sacha what's his favorite type of bike to build?

DarrenCT
08-07-2007, 08:56 PM
whatever you get, it'll still be "just a bike" :)

have a few beers, relax and let it come to you...

its not about what you get.... its about what you like...

14max
08-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Grant McLean
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM

single-speed-fendered-super-commuter: that's what he told me i have to get.

fwiw

-g

link
08-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Is this your first "custom to you" frame?

I have a custom Ottrott and am working on a new Seven Sola 29er race bike for next mtb season.

So this will be the 3rd custom.

Fixed
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
I have a custom Ottrott and am working on a new Seven Sola 29er race bike for next mtb season.

So this will be the 3rd custom.
get what sacha told grant then bro ..imho
cheers

Sacha White
08-09-2007, 12:29 AM
I agree with Len. Think of what you will really use and feel comfortable using.

Where do you dream of riding? where do you ride the most? Is there room for this new bike there?

Or just get a single speed cross bike. You can take that with you into the apocolypse. :beer:

xoxo,

Sacha

cadence90
08-09-2007, 01:21 AM
What made you place an order with Sacha in the first place?
Go with that instinct.

Asking on forums is fun, but results in a pretty random and maybe confusing sampling, often dominated by style/fashion issues. One of the nicest Vanillas I've ever seen is that fisherman's bike, because it all fit with Sacha's skills and inventiveness and playfulness. Or that white mud-spattered cross bike. 2 timeless Vanillas, in my opinion.

Think of your five favorite builders and what it is you really like about them (disregarding the logos and badges), why one of their bikes really appeals to you.

Or, if you're me, you just ask yourself "what would Gimondi do"? :beer:

Jack Brunk
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I finalize my build with Sasha yesterday. I told him what my use of the bike will be and told him to build and paint it how he wants. I don't want to get in the way of a master doing his job. The cool thing is he's going to start building it within the next week. Can't wait.

old_school
08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I finalize my build with Sasha yesterday. I told him what my use of the bike will be and told him to build and paint it how he wants. I don't want to get in the way of a master doing his job.

Nice ... way to go!

mikki
08-10-2007, 12:46 AM
My Vanilla is being built starting this week or next. I'm a little nervous waiting to hear what the final version will be.

Jack,
Have you really been waiting for four years for your Vanilla? What are you getting? I lust over Vanillas!!!!

Ginger
08-10-2007, 12:55 AM
mikki,
See now, if you'd put your downpayment down at the beginning of your search, you'd only have 3.5 years to wait. Time ticks by pretty fast you know. List is probably even longer now.

Get on the list so you're not kicking yourself in four years that you could have gotten on the list when the wait was *only* four years.

:p