Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Can't decide what frame type

So I threw down in July '06 for a piece of Sacha's art. I figured I'll have some divine intervention on what I really want/need by the time July '08 rolls around. I keep praying for that realization ...nothin'.

I'm playing eenie meenie mynie mo between:
road SS or road geared either one with lugs
MTB 29er SS or geared either one filet brazed with rigid fork
Cross
Rando
Tour

WWJD?

Then I'm gonna have to come up with a color. Arrgh!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 AM

one bike ?
cheers

i'd rule out a s.s. road unless you are thinking fixed imho
cheers
Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Wink

Clearly you need more time to think about it. How 'bout giving me your spot in line and you more carefully evaluate all the options?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Chopper?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Forward the Foundation

Think of a good story to tell Mr. White.

Like it is 1952, the Giro is on, Fausto needs a new bike.
What would Sasha build for Fausto ?

A 1952 Vanilla race bike for the unpaved passes of Italy ?
Then you take said bike to the L'Eroica.

Scott G.
WWFD ?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM

My Vanilla is being built starting this week or next. I'm a little nervous waiting to hear what the final version will be.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed
one bike ?
cheers

i'd rule out a s.s. road unless you are thinking fixed imho
cheers
If you're askin' am I gettin' just one ...yes - just one.

Why rule out the road SS? I live in the Central Rockies - going downhill 'round these parts on a fixed seems like a brutal endeavor. But I am unwashed when it comes to the fixed religion. Please help me clean up my act and 'splain the gospel so I can at least pose like I know.

This morning on my run with the dog and the baby in her chariot I began to ponder the order.

Let's go last to first...

MTB anything. I jus' gotta think that there are so many fine MTB frame options that could be ordered and delivered within 4-6 weeks. And it's a MTB fer petey's sake.

Touring... It'll look beeautiful once it's freshly delivered. But a touring bike is meant to be used and abused - left out in the rain like a bad dog - laying on its side - chained to the fence - tossed aorund by baggage handlers.

Cross... there are so few cross races 'round here. There's Brecktoberfest and a couple others. I'm not interested in driving to the Front Range to follow the circuit. I race MTB all summer and I look forward to fall time as a time to road and mtb in Moab and Fruita.

Randonneur... What a lovely thought. It would be beautiful - fenders - a front rack - mebe lights. There's a great Rando schedule every year that I would love to join. Heck, I'd even take a year off the race team to make that happen.

Road... so classic. But how classic do I go? SS - is that classic enough? Fixed - do I throw down and go fixed even though I sourrounded by so many hills and mountains? Geared - so ulititarian... do I dare put gears on my work of art? Kinda like a metal picture frame with acrylic cover over a Picasso. Or am I turning into a nut job with all this talk of "art"? Definitely going with a metal fork with a schweet crown and horizontal TT ...definitely... if I go this route. Maybe some polished lugs too.

Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
aka Terry Keele

how about a nice road bike with with horizontal dropout and just enough clearance and fittings to attach fenders if you ever do get the Rando calling. since the drops are horizontal you could change your mind and go fixed at a later date. that way, you're not committed to anything, but you are not limited either
Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Windrider

It's a bike............

Quote:
Originally Posted by link
If you're askin' am I gettin' just one ...yes - just one.

Why rule out the road SS? I live in the Central Rockies - going downhill 'round these parts on a fixed seems like a brutal endeavor. But I am unwashed when it comes to the fixed religion. Please help me clean up my act and 'splain the gospel so I can at least pose like I know.

This morning on my run with the dog and the baby in her chariot I began to ponder the order.

Let's go last to first...

MTB anything. I jus' gotta think that there are so many fine MTB frame options that could be ordered and delivered within 4-6 weeks. And it's a MTB fer petey's sake.

Touring... It'll look beeautiful once it's freshly delivered. But a touring bike is meant to be used and abused - left out in the rain like a bad dog - laying on its side - chained to the fence - tossed aorund by baggage handlers.

Cross... there are so few cross races 'round here. There's Brecktoberfest and a couple others. I'm not interested in driving to the Front Range to follow the circuit. I race MTB all summer and I look forward to fall time as a time to road and mtb in Moab and Fruita.

Randonneur... What a lovely thought. It would be beautiful - fenders - a front rack - mebe lights. There's a great Rando schedule every year that I would love to join. Heck, I'd even take a year off the race team to make that happen.

Road... so classic. But how classic do I go? SS - is that classic enough? Fixed - do I throw down and go fixed even though I sourrounded by so many hills and mountains? Geared - so ulititarian... do I dare put gears on my work of art? Kinda like a metal picture frame with acrylic cover over a Picasso. Or am I turning into a nut job with all this talk of "art"? Definitely going with a metal fork with a schweet crown and horizontal TT ...definitely... if I go this route. Maybe some polished lugs too.

Thoughts?
IMO.

If you want it as art, hang it on the wall.

Think about it a little different, it might help. What type of bike would you get the most enjoyment out of? Once you answer that, then design the bike for that purpose.

You can always get it repainted in 10 years or so, Sacha will always be willing to check the frame for you, so why not use it?

I think you are stuck on being afraid to make a mistake. You're thinking about being upset because of the choices you don't make. let go. Just order what you will ride. The rest is gravy.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Mark$ter

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...uttery+capital

I had Nic Schmidt build this for me. I had received a Chris Kvale a couple months before. Sadly, the Kvale gets ridden maybe 1 out of 5 times now. Happily, I can ride the CAPITAL anywhere and everywhere I would ride the Kvale WITH any other surface I damn well please mixed in. I just replaced the FIRST drivetrain it ever had after who knows how many thousand miles in 2 and a 1/2 years it had on it, and I've never had to true the wheels. It is truly a just "go out and play - no strings attached" kind of bike. I'm so glad I went this route. I dunno, something for you to think about, eh? I don't envy your position right now.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM

I agree with Mark.....a versatile road "rider" with fender mounts, suitable for a wider tire and some rough stuff. Lugged!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

bro I not that smart but if i had one bike it might be a cross.. cos you can go off road or road . you can always get a rear wheel (white inds. ) that will let you make it fixed ... bike ..my work bike is a fixed gear mt. bike if i were you i'd ask the builders advise he might come up with something really hip..imho
cheers good luck

what you had in mind first when you ordered you bike might be the best 2nd guessing gives me a headache ...
cheers
Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shanty
I agree with Mark.....a versatile road "rider" with fender mounts, suitable for a wider tire and some rough stuff. Lugged!!!!
Yep, something with no/few limitations so you are free to explore any road or path you cross.

PB Wrench is here on business and loving my Hampsten Strada Bianca. On my introductory sight-seeing ride Saturday we went of smooth pavement, crappy pavement and no pavement due to a detour through the local cross course. We were on 700x25 tires and I know 700x28 to 32 would be better because I have them on othert bikes.

A race bike is fun too but I would always want other bikes with broader capabilities too. Lugs are gorgeous.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylifut
how about a nice road bike with with horizontal dropout and just enough clearance and fittings to attach fenders if you ever do get the Rando calling. since the drops are horizontal you could change your mind and go fixed at a later date. that way, you're not committed to anything, but you are not limited either
I don't disagree that you describe a 'smart' choice, but it's not what i'd order,
not from a creative guy like Sasha.

The special thing about Vanilla bikes is the lengths he goes to make everything
so specific for the use. Like the integrated seatpost 'cross bike, and the
custom 1 piece bar/stem combos.

For the same reason that seatpost shims and b/o front derailleur clamp-ons suck,
you have to get exactly what you want.... atmo...

-g