PDA

View Full Version : Buying frames

big shanty
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I am wondering, for the custom bike consumers out there, how going to something like NAHBS might impact your decision to buy a custom frame, or to buy one from a builder you had maybe not given serious consideration beforehand? We all have a pretty good sense of what we like...so what I'm asking is, how prone are you to getting "swept up" into purchasing a custom bike, based on a good display piece and/or positive personal interaction at a bike show?

This might be useful for builders to consider as well. For the less established (and more established) ones, who is your "ideal customer" and does this facilitate your getting to know them? If you are just starting out, is your ideal customer highly impulsive by nature?

Serotta PETE
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
SPOKES would be in danger if he went........ The few builders I know do bring their "lust" products. Kelly did that with me CSI one year. (Yes I bought it)

.It is like me going to a motorcycle or auto show...(I stay away from both).

Steelhead
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
how prone are you to getting "swept up" into purchasing a custom bike, based on a good display piece and/or positive personal interaction at a bike show?

Thats why there is so much beer at those shows. :D

znfdl
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I would turn into a crack addict ;) The hard part would be to decide from whom to purchase a frame......

big shanty
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
It's probably for the best that I can't go....2 frames in the immediate cue, another two percolatin' down the road. I would rank myself as "informedly impulsive".

William
02-14-2007, 06:27 AM
It doesn't work on me. I have a built in governor.........called Mrs William. http://www.gulfgirls.net/images/smilies/shotgun.gif

William ;)

barry1021
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=William]It doesn't work on me. I have a built in governor.........called Mrs William. http://www.gulfgirls.net/images/smilies/shotgun.gif

If an increase in the heartrate is detected, does it engage a vise around the scrotum??

b21

H.Frank Beshear
02-14-2007, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=William]It doesn't work on me. I have a built in governor.........called Mrs William. http://www.gulfgirls.net/images/smilies/shotgun.gif

If an increase in the heartrate is detected, does it engage a vise around the scrotum??

b21

Who do you think taught Archibald how to steal peaches? :p

Chad Engle
02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Same reason I don't go to Ferrari dealerships and look at cars, can't afford one, no reason to tease/torture yourself.

I'd just sit next to Sacha and drool on his shoes until he built me one of those fishing bikes so that I would leave.

coylifut
02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
how prone are you to getting "swept up" into purchasing a custom bike, based on a good display piece and/or positive personal interaction at a bike show?

I'm the opposite of an impluse buyer so it's unlikely that I'd get "swept up." However, if I went to a show with my heart set on a particular builder and then had a positive personal interaction with a different one, that very well may cause me to change my mind and go with that builder. I've come to the point in my frame buying life where who I give my money to is an important criterion.

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
It doesn't work on me. I have a built in governor.........called Mrs William. http://www.gulfgirls.net/images/smilies/shotgun.gif

William ;)

I too have a governator. Lack of frn's.

chakatrain
02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
...possibly let myself get swept up by the presenters. I am going really to learn more about the passion & craftsmanship than anything else. However, I am open to putting in a few orders, should I really get inspired.

Javaman
02-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I can't go eventhough I'm dying to! Lately I've been buying frames without seeing them in person. :crap:

big shanty
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I am blessed to have a girlfriend who has zero morbid curiosity, particularly with regard to bike costs. She did make the reasonable statement that any major jewelry she were to receive down the road should be on the order of the cost of my Vanilla...."whatever that was". haha.

Archibald
02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Here's my deal:

I don't care about the bike. I care about the cat that built it.

OK, that doesn't ring true even though that's my first *feeling* on it. I do care about the bike, but I care more about the builder.

I have been slowly collecting up bikes from builders I admire, respect, love for who they are and represent or in spite of who they are and represent. When I first got into MTB'ing, I always wanted a Lindsey built Mountain Goat. Back in the day (80's) an MG Deluxe cost $1800 for F&F. Couldn't afford it then but I have a beautiful example now that I still ride the shiit out of.

I wanted a custom Don McClung, I now have one sitting right here next to my desk. Almost two years after receiving it, it's still unpainted -- I just can't decide on the paint and though I will ride it, I just like having it, I just stare at it when I need to think. It's almost like sitting in a room with an old friend while you drink your coffee. No conversation and no need for any.

I've wanted a Sachs since I can't remember when and I have one coming. It will be unlike anything he ever built because he will have built it for me. It will be imperfect and perfectly so. I've been nagging Bruce Gordon and I will score one soon enough, maybe close the deal at NAHBs. I love that curmudgeony old bastard and gruff as he can be, he is an American treasure. At some point in the next year or two I will start talking Peter Weigle building something for me.

These guys ain't going to be building forever and so they're at the top of what is turning into a sizable list. As I age and make new friends, I will have new frames and when I'm old, I'll be surrounded by the friends I've made in the sport and business of cycling and...damn, that's about as gay as I get. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here somebody summarize this before I delete it. :beer:

atmo
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I've wanted a Sachs since I can't remember when and I have one coming.
ahem atmo.
this was our secret, no?
you are outing this to a wide audience.
xoxoxoxos

catulle
02-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Here's my deal:

I don't care about the bike. I care about the cat that built it.

OK, that doesn't ring true even though that's my first *feeling* on it. I do care about the bike, but I care more about the builder.

I have been slowly collecting up bikes from builders I admire, respect, love for who they are and represent or in spite of who they are and represent. When I first got into MTB'ing, I always wanted a Lindsey built Mountain Goat. Back in the day (80's) an MG Deluxe cost $1800 for F&F. Couldn't afford it then but I have a beautiful example now that I still ride the shiit out of.

I wanted a custom Don McClung, I now have one sitting right here next to my desk. Almost two years after receiving it, it's still unpainted -- I just can't decide on the paint and though I will ride it, I just like having it, I just stare at it when I need to think. It's almost like sitting in a room with an old friend while you drink your coffee. No conversation and no need for any.

I've wanted a Sachs since I can't remember when and I have one coming. It will be unlike anything he ever built because he will have built it for me. It will be imperfect and perfectly so. I've been nagging Bruce Gordon and I will score one soon enough, maybe close the deal at NAHBs. I love that curmudgeony old bastard and gruff as he can be, he is an American treasure. At some point in the next year or two I will start talking Peter Weigle building something for me.

These guys ain't going to be building forever and so they're at the top of what is turning into a sizable list. As I age and make new friends, I will have new frames and when I'm old, I'll be surrounded by the friends I've made in the sport and business of cycling and...damn, that's about as gay as I get. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here somebody summarize this before I delete it. :beer:

Whatever, my same feeling. And don't worry, we're too old to turn gay at this late stage of the game. So just let it all hang out, atmo... :rolleyes:

atmo
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Whatever, my same feeling. And don't worry, we're too old to turn gay at this late stage of the game. So just let it all hang out, atmo... :rolleyes:
oh it's hangin' out alright atmo...

catulle
02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
oh it's hangin' out alright atmo...

:eek: :no:

michael white
02-14-2007, 05:33 PM
These guys ain't going to be building forever and so they're at the top of what is turning into a sizable list. As I age and make new friends, I will have new frames and when I'm old, I'll be surrounded by the friends I've made in the sport and business of cycling and...damn, that's about as gay as I get. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here somebody summarize this before I delete it. :beer:[/QUOTE]

I envy your apparent ability to buy what you want. I personally don't expect to get everything I want, not even close . . .that would be a pretty long list. Like you, I've wanted a Sachs forever and almost got one once. Stupid, stupid me, I didn't. My best friend rides one and so I get to look at one just about every day. I don't know, it's nice that this work goes out, that it enriches the sport that clearly means so much to us . . . and sometimes that's enough, the love without the actual acquisition. Anyway.

best,

mw

Archibald
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
I envy your apparent ability to buy what you want. I personally don't expect to get everything I want, not even close . . .that would be a pretty long list. mw
It's not much when you spread it out over several years, but like you, I don't expect to get everything I want, it's just not that much about the "getting it" part. :)