Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Buying frames

I am wondering, for the custom bike consumers out there, how going to something like NAHBS might impact your decision to buy a custom frame, or to buy one from a builder you had maybe not given serious consideration beforehand? We all have a pretty good sense of what we like...so what I'm asking is, how prone are you to getting "swept up" into purchasing a custom bike, based on a good display piece and/or positive personal interaction at a bike show?

This might be useful for builders to consider as well. For the less established (and more established) ones, who is your "ideal customer" and does this facilitate your getting to know them? If you are just starting out, is your ideal customer highly impulsive by nature?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:42 PM

SPOKES would be in danger if he went........ The few builders I know do bring their "lust" products. Kelly did that with me CSI one year. (Yes I bought it)

.It is like me going to a motorcycle or auto show...(I stay away from both).
Old 02-13-2007, 04:48 PM

how prone are you to getting "swept up" into purchasing a custom bike, based on a good display piece and/or positive personal interaction at a bike show?

Thats why there is so much beer at those shows.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
powered by red

I would turn into a crack addict The hard part would be to decide from whom to purchase a frame......
Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM

It's probably for the best that I can't go....2 frames in the immediate cue, another two percolatin' down the road. I would rank myself as "informedly impulsive".
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Bike lust mojo....

It doesn't work on me. I have a built in governor.........called Mrs William.

William
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Barry1021

Exactly how does that governor work....

[QUOTE=William]It doesn't work on me. I have a built in governor.........called Mrs William.

If an increase in the heartrate is detected, does it engage a vise around the scrotum??

b21
Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=barry1021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by William

If an increase in the heartrate is detected, does it engage a vise around the scrotum??

b21
Who do you think taught Archibald how to steal peaches?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
88mike

Thank goodness I'm poor...

Same reason I don't go to Ferrari dealerships and look at cars, can't afford one, no reason to tease/torture yourself.

I'd just sit next to Sacha and drool on his shoes until he built me one of those fishing bikes so that I would leave.
cheers - Fixed October 16, 2007
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
aka Terry Keele

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shanty
how prone are you to getting "swept up" into purchasing a custom bike, based on a good display piece and/or positive personal interaction at a bike show?
I'm the opposite of an impluse buyer so it's unlikely that I'd get "swept up." However, if I went to a show with my heart set on a particular builder and then had a positive personal interaction with a different one, that very well may cause me to change my mind and go with that builder. I've come to the point in my frame buying life where who I give my money to is an important criterion.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William

William
I too have a governator. Lack of frn's.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
One pill makes you larger

I would...

...possibly let myself get swept up by the presenters. I am going really to learn more about the passion & craftsmanship than anything else. However, I am open to putting in a few orders, should I really get inspired.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:19 PM
No hope

Thank goodness...

I can't go eventhough I'm dying to! Lately I've been buying frames without seeing them in person.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM

I am blessed to have a girlfriend who has zero morbid curiosity, particularly with regard to bike costs. She did make the reasonable statement that any major jewelry she were to receive down the road should be on the order of the cost of my Vanilla...."whatever that was". haha.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
jmewkill posse

Here's my deal:

I don't care about the bike. I care about the cat that built it.

OK, that doesn't ring true even though that's my first *feeling* on it. I do care about the bike, but I care more about the builder.

I have been slowly collecting up bikes from builders I admire, respect, love for who they are and represent or in spite of who they are and represent. When I first got into MTB'ing, I always wanted a Lindsey built Mountain Goat. Back in the day (80's) an MG Deluxe cost $1800 for F&F. Couldn't afford it then but I have a beautiful example now that I still ride the shiit out of.

I wanted a custom Don McClung, I now have one sitting right here next to my desk. Almost two years after receiving it, it's still unpainted -- I just can't decide on the paint and though I will ride it, I just like having it, I just stare at it when I need to think. It's almost like sitting in a room with an old friend while you drink your coffee. No conversation and no need for any.

I've wanted a Sachs since I can't remember when and I have one coming. It will be unlike anything he ever built because he will have built it for me. It will be imperfect and perfectly so. I've been nagging Bruce Gordon and I will score one soon enough, maybe close the deal at NAHBs. I love that curmudgeony old bastard and gruff as he can be, he is an American treasure. At some point in the next year or two I will start talking Peter Weigle building something for me.

These guys ain't going to be building forever and so they're at the top of what is turning into a sizable list. As I age and make new friends, I will have new frames and when I'm old, I'll be surrounded by the friends I've made in the sport and business of cycling and...damn, that's about as gay as I get. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here somebody summarize this before I delete it.