PDA

View Full Version : School me on Speedplay pedals

stephenmarklay
04-26-2016, 09:50 PM
I am making the switch this year and I want to make sure I understand.

It sounds like some shoes are 4 bolt and some 3 bolts shoes work with adapters (bought separate.) Also, I want to try the adjustable cleats to get my cleat back a bit. Does anyone use these and do they put any other restrictions on the shoes?

kramnnim
04-26-2016, 10:19 PM
The standard 3 to 4 bolt adapters come with the cleats.

jtakeda
04-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Nothing to add other than I'll have some up for sale tomorrow.

I'm a time atac guy

buldogge
04-26-2016, 11:24 PM
Do tell...Xs or Zeros?? CrMo, SS, or Ti???

-Mark in St. Louis

Nothing to add other than I'll have some up for sale tomorrow.

I'm a time atac guy

azrider
04-26-2016, 11:45 PM
It sounds like some shoes are 4 bolt and some 3 bolts shoes work with adapters (bought separate.) Also, I want to try the adjustable cleats to get my cleat back a bit. Does anyone use these and do they put any other restrictions on the shoes?

i went from spd-sl's to speedplays 5 years ago and have not looked back. I'm a HUGE advocate of speedplays and believe the adapter to convert shoes from three bolt to four comes standard and is not needed to buy "separately"....

DFABob
04-27-2016, 02:48 AM
i went from spd-sl's to speedplays 5 years ago and have not looked back. I'm a HUGE advocate of speedplays and believe the adapter to convert shoes from three bolt to four comes standard and is not needed to buy "separately"....

I switched to speedplay 5 years ago too. I loved the idea of non-centering cleats. However I did look back, and I switched back to spd's again a few years ago.

They have few to no benefits IMHO.
They're atrocious to walk in.
I think the contact patch is way too small(thanks for the ground clearance, I guess), which leaves me feeling underwhelmed by their lateral support. When there's any sort of torsion on them I don't think they can compare to spd/look, too much play.
I burned through the cleats to fast. Because the pedal-cleat relationship is flipped with speedplay, I found that it was harder to keep them functioning properly as I ground dirt, sand, and one-time chewing gum into the sensitive bits of the cleat.

Anyway, good luck with that.

Wakatel_Luum
04-27-2016, 03:01 AM
Same here...never using Speedplay again...went back to Time pedals, best decision I made...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Cicli
04-27-2016, 04:40 AM
Tried Speedplay and hated them. Too hard to clip in. Back to Shimano. I kater found out that I may not have had them set up perfectly flat. Tried them again paying more attention than I wanted to with cleat mounting. They worked better and I made it a while. Then the cleats wore and started to suffer from contamination. One evening while screwing around with cleaning and lubing the cleats I realised I had never paid so much attention to pedals. My Dura Ace pedals in the basement quietly waiting in the basement never asked for anything but to be used. I went back to them and have never looked back. One should not have to screw around with pedals, special loooooobe and grease guns.

jmal
04-27-2016, 05:47 AM
I'm a long time user of the X series. I love the free float and I do not experience any problems with them at all. I never lube the cleats and they work just fine. I do not walk around in them. When I ride, I ride. I don't hang out at cafes, and I don't walk around in dirt, sand, bubble gum, or anything else. If you do, get some cleat covers. Having said this, I did try the Zero series a while back, and I can see how people would get tired of the hassle. They are much harder to get in and out of, and I they do require lube and maintenance to work properly. I went back to the X series.

I have used Speedplay since long before they penetrated the pro ranks. They have always been looked down upon by the adherents of Look, Time, and later on, Shimano. It's a Campy, Shimano, SRAM sort of thing. For me, they are the only pedals that do not bother my knees. The centering float on other pedals always causes problems for me, and I have had them set up by many different "experts" as well as endless tinkering myself. They simply do not work for me. Speedplay on the other hand felt like an old friend from the first time I used them. For others, the float and smaller surface area may take getting used to, and some may never get used to it. Look and Shimano definitely feel like there is more support, but that is something I can live without in exchange for happy knees.

R3awak3n
04-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Make sure you try em first before you put a big investment down.

What I miss about speed play, that it's double entry. Apart from that, spd so for me pretty much for the same reason Tishepa said.

stephenmarklay
04-27-2016, 06:21 AM
I am glad I asked. Up to this point I really thought that they were universally loved by those that have used the. I certainly like the idea of double sided entry but perhaps I am better just getting SPD. I have run Look for 20 years and they have worked ok. But I hear SPD-SL is similar if not a bit better pedal.

Thanks so much.

Birddog
04-27-2016, 06:28 AM
I've been using Speedplay X's for over 20 years with no problems. You need to invest in cleat covers or Keep On Kovers if you plan on walking in them. The Keep on Kovers have saved me from buying cleats once a year. I now probably can go 2 years with a set of cleats. You just need to lube the pedals now and then, say twice a year, and spray the spring in the cleat with some PTFE.

Given all that, if I were to invest in a system today, I would give a long hard look at just buying some mtn bike shoes with some walkable cleats with float like Crank Bros. My racing days are behind me. Many models of mtn bike shoes are the same last as road shoes. They just have the treads on the bottom and you could just have one system to keep up with. I know some guys that use Speedplay Frogs in this manner.

kramnnim
04-27-2016, 06:29 AM
Lots of people like them. Look at how much the used ones sell for on eBay.

oldpotatoe
04-27-2016, 06:34 AM
I am glad I asked. Up to this point I really thought that they were universally loved by those that have used the. I certainly like the idea of double sided entry but perhaps I am better just getting SPD. I have run Look for 20 years and they have worked ok. But I hear SPD-SL is similar if not a bit better pedal.

Thanks so much.

I started with LOOK, then Campag/LOOK, then ProFit, then SP Zero and I am now and have been a big fan for over 10 years.

When I put the cleat on the same relative place as ProFit..they felt like 'clipless pedals' BUT the advantages-

-2 sided
-adjustable float
-most adjustable cleat in terms of fore-aft and in-out
-easy to maintain..
-I don't get 'burning thru cleats', plus if you do walk on them, you walk on a metal plate vs a plastic(and expensive-SPD-SL) cleat.
-if you kill a bearing, replace it, try that with Look
-if you fall and kill a pedal, you can buy one pedal(try that with shimano/look)
-fairly stiff but plastic not carbon sole shoe(Sidi Genuis 5) and the 'platform' feel like any other pedal/cleat I've used(Look/Campag).

So I'd say try them(Zero-didn't like the 'walk on ice' feel of X series)..

owly
04-27-2016, 07:15 AM
...My racing days are behind me. Many models of mtn bike shoes are the same last as road shoes. They just have the treads on the bottom and you could just have one system to keep up with. I know some guys that use Speedplay Frogs in this manner.

Yeah, I'm on the Frogs.

Have been thinking a while about getting some mtn bike shoes.
Would be a good excuse to get that mtn bike also.

El Chaba
04-27-2016, 07:29 AM
People either love them or hate them with very few straddling the fence...

oldpotatoe
04-27-2016, 07:30 AM
People either love them or hate them with very few straddling the fence...

yup, kinda like Brooks saddles..:rolleyes:

Vinci
04-27-2016, 07:37 AM
I've been on Speedplays (Light Actions, then Zeros) for probably 8 years now and really like them. Yeah, they are expensive, but they are completely maintainable, so I feel like the service life excuses some of the cost.

With regards to the different shoe bolt patterns and whatnot, Speedplay-specific shoes are nice if you want the lowest stack possible, as the cleat bolts directly to the sole. Otherwise, you just use the included 3-to-4-hole adapter plate and live with a couple extra millimeters of plastic between your shoe and pedal. No biggie.

If you get new pedals and cleats, just be aware that the tension is not adjustable, like some other platforms. They will be very stiff (especially Zeros) for the first few rides and need some extra effort to clip in. They will break in and be fantastic after a little while, though. Just don't give up on them.

The other good news is that if you don't end up liking them, you just take a little hit on the purchase price and can resell them on the forum in no time to a crowd of people scrounging for cheaper Speedplays. :)

shovelhd
04-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Put me in the love them category. Properly maintained and refreshed, they should last a lifetime.

Bradford
04-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Many models of mtn bike shoes are the same last as road shoes. They just have the treads on the bottom and you could just have one system to keep up with. I know some guys that use Speedplay Frogs in this manner.

I'm one of these guys. I backed into the switch because I had three bikes, two with Frogs and one with Lollipops, and I wanted my winter shoes to work on all three. So, one Fall, I put some Frogs on the Legend for the winter, and 4 years later, they are still there. Now I have three bikes, two pairs of shoes, and as long as I can manage to wear one pair of shoes and ride one of the bikes, it doesn't matter which, I'm good to go.

Many years ago, when I used to ride with a club, I picked the road pedals and road shoes because I felt anything that helped me go faster helped me hang on to the lead pack another few miles. Now that I'm older, don't ride with a fast group, and don't care about an extra 100 grams here and there, I'm much happier with the Frogs. The feel just as good on the bike and the are infinitely better off the bike. I ain't never goin back.

avalonracing
04-27-2016, 09:18 AM
I used Speedplays for a decade on my Sidi (currently four pair with various soles including full-carbon). I liked the Speedplay float, the adjustability of the float and the dual-sided entry and I bought into the idea that they were a bigger platform as the entire cleat was the platform.

Well, after a decade I started to get some hot foot (I'm in my mid-40's now and have never had an issue). So I went back to Shimanos and immediately called BS on that whole cleat being a platform. I realized that I had been riding on lollipops for the last decade. Compared to Speedplay the Shimano pedals feel like I'm standing on the sole of the shoe instead of a pedal spindle. Again again it isn't like I was on worn out shoes as it this was over four pair including carbon soles that would stand up to a hydraulic press. Also my upstroke feels much more efficient on the Shimano as I think I was wasting side to side energy in the floaty Speedplays.

benb
04-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Are folks who said they switched (back?) to SPD, are you talking about SPD or SPD-SL? They are very different obviously.

This is a timely thread for me as I had posted about possibly trying Speedplay a couple days ago.

If I had 4-bolt shoes it sounds like I'd have to buy a different seat mast topper for my Trek Domane as it sounds like Speedplay has about 5mm less stack than SPD/SPD-SL. My seat height is literally right in the range between the medium & long toppers. How thick is the 3-bolt to 4-bolt plate?

I have regular SPDs on right now they solve my cleat positioning issues but I have to wear my mountain shoes.. part of me would like to figure out how to use the road shoes even though the Speedplays would be annoying to walk in, etc.. just like the SPD-SLs. For road rides my road shoes are a bit more comfortable as they have more ventilation.

SPDs work so well though, cleats last forever, near 0 maintenance on the pedals, etc... the temptation is there to just buy a weight weenie MTB shoe and hope it's more like a road shoe.

Personally any cleat issues with Speedplay don't sound so bad.. for me SPD-SL *pedals* have always been super durable/reliable/0-maintenance like SPD but the cleats are annoying.. they aren't slippery but they're still hard to walk in and like people are reporting with speedplay the cleats do jam up with dirt for me pretty easy. Lots and lots of places and days here if you pull over for any reason you end up in the dirt and mud to avoid getting taken out by cars and if you step in dirt of the right consistence even one step you will often have to clean out the SPD-SL cleats pretty soon. For me I've always had an issue with them developing lateral play pretty quickly as they wear which drives me nuts.

azrider
04-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Put me in the love them category. Properly maintained and refreshed, they should last a lifetime.

+1

I love how some peoples biggest complaint is "they can't walk in them easily." Ummmm......what cleat is easy to walk on? And fyi, cycling cleats weren't built to walk around and have pancakes in......

I have cleats on two pairs that've lasted me 4 years+

Different strokes

Ryun
04-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Im in the been using them forever camp.
Switched in 94 when I got tired of plastic cleats creaking and wearing out so quickly. I use the X series and like others mentioned, they last forever. Small parts availability is fantastic and I am pretty sure that I have some pedal bodies that are over 10 years old.
I get great life out of the cleats. I use three bolt shoes with no issues.

sandyrs
04-27-2016, 10:05 AM
+1

I love how some peoples biggest complaint is "they can't walk in them easily." Ummmm......what cleat is easy to walk on? And fyi, cycling cleats weren't built to walk around and have pancakes in......

I have cleats on two pairs that've lasted me 4 years+

Different strokes

SPD-SL's are easy to walk in. I can walk up and down the stairs to my apartment and in and out of the food stop during a long ride with no issues. I wouldn't run a 5k in them but I have seen riders put on their Speedplay pedal covers to step over a fallen tree on a bike path. There are levels of walkability.

Elefantino
04-27-2016, 11:04 AM
SPD-SL's are easy to walk in. I can walk up and down the stairs to my apartment and in and out of the food stop during a long ride with no issues. I wouldn't run a 5k in them but I have seen riders put on their Speedplay pedal covers to step over a fallen tree on a bike path. There are levels of walkability.
Speedplay has walkable cleats now, for LA and Zero.

And for X, I've been using Keep On Kovers for many years and on two pairs of shoes have three-year-old cleats that look new.

Mark McM
04-27-2016, 11:06 AM
+1

Well, that's not completely true ... while road cleats aren't designed for walking, most MTB cleats are. Which is why many people use MTB type pedals on their road bikes. In particular, there are many hybrid pedals (and shoes), which borrow features from road pedals (single sided, smaller platform) and MTB pedals (2 bolt recessed cleat).

azrider
04-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Well, that's not completely true ... while road cleats aren't designed for walking, most MTB cleats are. Which is why many people use MTB type pedals on their road bikes. In particular, there are many hybrid pedals (and shoes), which borrow features from road pedals (single sided, smaller platform) and MTB pedals (2 bolt recessed cleat).

Wait you can walk around in MTB cleats? I had no idea!

:rolleyes:

Drmojo
04-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Had em for years, dumped 'em for all reasons mentioned, never looked back--KEO and EggBeater for me

I switched to speedplay 5 years ago too. I loved the idea of non-centering cleats. However I did look back, and I switched back to spd's again a few years ago.

They have few to no benefits IMHO.
They're atrocious to walk in.
I think the contact patch is way too small(thanks for the ground clearance, I guess), which leaves me feeling underwhelmed by their lateral support. When there's any sort of torsion on them I don't think they can compare to spd/look, too much play.
I burned through the cleats to fast. Because the pedal-cleat relationship is flipped with speedplay, I found that it was harder to keep them functioning properly as I ground dirt, sand, and one-time chewing gum into the sensitive bits of the cleat.

Anyway, good luck with that.

berserk87
04-27-2016, 01:23 PM
I like 'em. The fact that some folks don't just leaves more for me to choose from.

Pedals are like saddles, or guitars, or shoes - if you find something you like, stick with it. Preferences are going to vary.

DFABob
04-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Tried Speedplay and hated them. Too hard to clip in. Back to Shimano. I kater found out that I may not have had them set up perfectly flat. Tried them again paying more attention than I wanted to with cleat mounting. They worked better and I made it a while. Then the cleats wore and started to suffer from contamination. One evening while screwing around with cleaning and lubing the cleats I realised I had never paid so much attention to pedals. My Dura Ace pedals in the basement quietly waiting in the basement never asked for anything but to be used. I went back to them and have never looked back. One should not have to screw around with pedals, special loooooobe and grease guns.

Ugh, I spent $50 on that grease gun! $10 on dry lube $15 on cleat covers that I had to take on and off. Good riddance!

One time I got goated into an alley cat race with speedplays on. There was one checkpoint on the far side of a particularly slick concrete plaza. By the end I was sprinting across it and seeing how far away I could slide into it from. Very far. I destroyed a pair of cleats that night...

Atacs are non-centering.
You can also buy spd-sl cleats with float, and the only limit I need to adjust is the inside one to prevent crank arm rub. Which is easily done with the cleat itself.

djg21
04-27-2016, 01:59 PM
I've used Speedplays since there have been Speedplays. The downside of Speedplays is that they are not designed for walking, and can become contaminated fairly easily if you do walk on them through loose dirt. They also apparently can be tough to run on during transition if you are among the multi-sport crowd.

They are probably the easiest to work with if you have fit issues, and they are by far the easiest cleats to get in and out of if they are set up correctly. The double-sided entry makes for very quick entry.

I use keep-on covers (http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html) and they work very nicely. They make the cleat much more walkable and protect from premature wear. The Speedplay "aero/walkable" cleats have not been well received as they appear to fall apart. However, the only walking I do in bicycle shoes is across my garage floor to my bike, and into the occasional convenience store to refill my bottles or use a men's room.

I would recommend using the Zeros as opposed to the X model. The wire clips on the X cleats tends to wear and flat spots develop. IME, the clips on the Zero cleats, which are flat by design, last much longer. The Zero also allows you to adjust the amount of float, and hence the release angle of the cleats. Even with a very bad knee that now has been replaced, I've never needed more than a couple degrees of float.

Insofar as the surface area of the pedal, if you are in a quality shoe with a stiff sole, you should not have problems. Don't sweat the 3-hole vs. 4-hole shoe issue. The Speedplay 3-hole converter shim is very good, and adds virtually nothing in terms of stack height. The shim also prevents damage to carbon soles. Get a good shoe that fits you well and work from there.

jmeloy
04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I started with LOOK, then Campag/LOOK, then ProFit, then SP Zero and I am now and have been a big fan for over 10 years.

When I put the cleat on the same relative place as ProFit..they felt like 'clipless pedals' BUT the advantages-

-2 sided
-adjustable float
-most adjustable cleat in terms of fore-aft and in-out
-easy to maintain..
-I don't get 'burning thru cleats', plus if you do walk on them, you walk on a metal plate vs a plastic(and expensive-SPD-SL) cleat.
-if you kill a bearing, replace it, try that with Look
-if you fall and kill a pedal, you can buy one pedal(try that with shimano/look)
-fairly stiff but plastic not carbon sole shoe(Sidi Genuis 5) and the 'platform' feel like any other pedal/cleat I've used(Look/Campag).

So I'd say try them(Zero-didn't like the 'walk on ice' feel of X series)..

Great summary and agree. Cleat extenders kept me cycling.

verbs4us
04-28-2016, 06:26 AM
Made the switch to SP from beloved Looks about 5 years ago, when (like others here) I got tired of worn out plastic cleats and creaking cleats. Here is what I learned in five years: (1) if your shoe is stiff enough, there is no difference in pedal feel between the broad Look support and the lollypop surface of the SP; (2) Always use cleat covers when you're not clipped in. Always; (3) With a good torque wrench, check the torque on the cleat screws every thousand miles or so and retorque to spec. Mine tend to loosen and I'm far from a beast on the pedals; (4) Use a *lightweight* lube on the cleats, sparingly, about once a month in high season. Wipe it clean. I have good luck with a wax-based lube. Doesn't repel dirt but doesn't attract it either; (5) once a season I have my LBS regrease the pedals. I could save $$ by buying a grease gun but I prefer to delay the extinction of any LBS. Overall, happy with the switch. Silent, secure, comfortable, fuggetaboutit.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2016, 06:29 AM
Made the switch to SP from beloved Looks about 5 years ago, when (like others here) I got tired of worn out plastic cleats and creaking cleats. Here is what I learned in five years: (1) if your shoe is stiff enough, there is no difference in pedal feel between the broad Look support and the lollypop surface of the SP; (2) Always use cleat covers when you're not clipped in. Always; (3) With a good torque wrench, check the torque on the cleat screws every thousand miles or so and retorque to spec. Mine tend to loosen and I'm far from a beast on the pedals; (4) Use a *lightweight* lube on the cleats, sparingly, about once a month in high season. Wipe it clean. I have good luck with a wax-based lube. Doesn't repel dirt but doesn't attract it either; (5) once a season I have my LBS regrease the pedals. I could save $$ by buying a grease gun but I prefer to delay the extinction of any LBS. Overall, happy with the switch. Silent, secure, comfortable, fuggetaboutit.

Needn't use the bigbuck$ SP greasegun..any grease gun with a pointy tip OR but some wee torx wrenches, take the wee torx bolt out, take the puck off, clean and grease..really easy.

jmal
04-28-2016, 08:31 AM
You do not need a grease gun at all, Speedplay or otherwise. Go to your local drugstore and buy a syringe. Fill it with lube and inject into the pedal. It works perfectly and is about a dollar.

Big Dan
04-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Time or Shimano.

berserk87
04-28-2016, 12:56 PM
You do not need a grease gun at all, Speedplay or otherwise. Go to your local drugstore and buy a syringe. Fill it with lube and inject into the pedal. It works perfectly and is about a dollar.

How do you get the pressure needed to purge the old grease out? I like the idea but do not understand how it would work.

93legendti
04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Been using them for over 20 years. I like them.

stephenmarklay
04-28-2016, 01:57 PM
I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. Interestedly, I have decided to use SPD-SL for the time being.

I am glad to have both sides in this discussion. I am going to figure out a situation that I can try SP without committing to a be sum of money and not liking them. Two things that I really think I would like is the double sided entry and the ability to get the shoe back a bit more with their adjustable cleat.

Thank everyone so much.

Muffin Man
04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
The walkable cleat pretty much solves all the problem with slipping and sliding on metal surfaces, and it also protects the cleat screws from getting messed. The rubber walkable part is also replaceable.

jmal
04-28-2016, 06:27 PM
How do you get the pressure needed to purge the old grease out? I like the idea but do not understand how it would work.

It doesn't take much pressure at all. When I do it, the old, dirty grease clearly comes out and the pedals feel well lubed for another zillion miles. I've read of many other people doing the same. I borrowed the idea and it has worked fine for me.

mgm777
04-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Big fan of SP here. Been riding them for nearly 15 years. Started out on "X", but after awhile, I noticed, on long rides, my pedaling form would deteriorate(due to fatigue) and I wished for less float. For the past 10 years or so, I have been riding Zeros, adjusted to minimal float. Here's why I stay with them:
-double sided -- clip-in/clip-out at stops really is easier/safer/quicker.
-Walkability -- a non-issue -- this is over-played IMHO, I ride, I don't walk around in my bike shoes.
-Cleats -- I replace the cleats once a year, whether they need it or not. I consider the cleats a wear-item. $40. Not a big deal.
-Clip-Out -- the motion for clipping out does not involve torquing your kneed(as with SPD) to release. I use Shimano XTR on MTB and don't like them for this reason.
-Cleats get easily fouled -- Again this is exaggerated, IMHO. Of all the years, I have been riding SP, I have fouled my cleats only twice, because I walked through mud -- totally my fault.
-Speedplay pedals(Zeros) simply work for me.

spinarelli
04-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Not much to add that hasn't been said above.
For me the big difference is the float. The older I get the more my knees appreciate the adjustable float. Happy knees equals more riding. I got cleat covers and I have no issues with clipping in and out.

Ozrider
04-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I changed from Shimano Dura Ace to Speedplay 6 years ago and never regretted it.
Greasing is easy (and cheap) using a syring filled with grease, simply remove dust cover, insert syringe tip and push against plunger till clean grease comes out the spindle side of the pedal.
I use Keepon Koverz, they stay on the cleat and protect the metal plate on the cleat while walking, and unlike other cleat covers you don't get your hands and jersey pockets dirty when stashing covers in your pocket.
I use Ti Zeros on one bike and Stainless other two bikes.
If the pedal body needs replacing I buy CroMo pedals on sale, and swap pedal bodies. The advantage of doing it this way is that the pedals come with cleats, so you get new pedal bodies including bearings and cleats for about $100.
Fore/aft adjustment and alignment is better than most other pedals, and float is easy to set from 0 - 15 degrees depending on your preference.
I use the thin sole protector plate even with the 3 bolt adaptor as it protects the 3 hole adaptor plate from wear and reduces rocking or play that developers over time.
I wear size 48 shoes and have my cleats set up so the ball of my foot is 1cm in front of the spindle, and few other pedals allow this range of adjustment.
Speedplay also has adaptor plates to allow for leg length disparity and an adaptor plate offering extended fore/aft adjustment if required.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/road-pedals-which-are-best/

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom

CaptStash
04-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I have a big bag 'o Dura Ace 7750/7800 pedals. Let me know if you want a pair. I'll give you such a deal...

CaptStash....

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. Interestedly, I have decided to use SPD-SL for the time being.

I am glad to have both sides in this discussion. I am going to figure out a situation that I can try SP without committing to a be sum of money and not liking them. Two things that I really think I would like is the double sided entry and the ability to get the shoe back a bit more with their adjustable cleat.

Thank everyone so much.

Onno
05-21-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm also thinking of trying Speedplay. The question I have that I don't see answered in this thread is how far aft you can get the cleats, using the extender plate, compared to SPD-SL. Are we talking a few centimeters, or a few millimeters?

As I said in another thread, I'm having serious peroneal tendon issues in my right foot, and I'm hoping that moving the cleat back further than my current set up will relieve some of the pressure on the tendon. I'm not quite ready to go completely midsole

mgm777
05-21-2016, 09:31 AM
I'm also thinking of trying Speedplay. The question I have that I don't see answered in this thread is how far aft you can get the cleats, using the extender plate, compared to SPD-SL. Are we talking a few centimeters, or a few millimeters?

From the Speedplay web site: "CLEAT EXTENDER BASE PLATE KIT
Replaces Standard Black Plastic Base Plates to provide 2mm additional forward positioning and 14mm additional rearward positioning. Light Action, Zero and X Series only."

Onno
05-21-2016, 09:55 AM
From the Speedplay web site: "CLEAT EXTENDER BASE PLATE KIT
Replaces Standard Black Plastic Base Plates to provide 2mm additional forward positioning and 14mm additional rearward positioning. Light Action, Zero and X Series only."

I saw this, but it still doesn't answer my question. Do Speedplay cleats (without the extenders) get you further back than SPD-SL on the same shoes? Or exactly the same place?

Onno
06-21-2016, 09:02 AM
I've been riding Speedplay zeros for the past month or so. I used the extender base plate to push the cleats as far back as they will go on my Shimano shoes, which is pretty far back--several centimeters behind the ball of my foot, though not yet really mid-sole. I'm very happy with this set up. I'm surprised too at how much I like the very free float, which I think is also helping reduce pain in my ankles. I rode my Serotta yesterday, which still has Shimano SPD-SL pedals (with older shoes), and was really struck by how weird and "locked in" my feet felt, and how it seemed like I was pedaling on my toes.

Anyway, I'm really happy I made the switch, although not as happy that now I will want to get Speedplay pedals on all my bikes, and am looking too at new bike shoes with the 4-hole pattern. All of which is EXPENSIVE!

Sierra
06-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Tried them; hated them.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Tried them; hated them.

Went from Look/Campag, loved them...like 13 years ago. Best(Look, Campag/Look, Campag pro-fit) pedals I have ever used.

djg21
06-21-2016, 01:28 PM
I've been riding Speedplay zeros for the past month or so. I used the extender base plate to push the cleats as far back as they will go on my Shimano shoes, which is pretty far back--several centimeters behind the ball of my foot, though not yet really mid-sole. I'm very happy with this set up. I'm surprised too at how much I like the very free float, which I think is also helping reduce pain in my ankles. I rode my Serotta yesterday, which still has Shimano SPD-SL pedals (with older shoes), and was really struck by how weird and "locked in" my feet felt, and how it seemed like I was pedaling on my toes.

Anyway, I'm really happy I made the switch, although not as happy that now I will want to get Speedplay pedals on all my bikes, and am looking too at new bike shoes with the 4-hole pattern. All of which is EXPENSIVE!

Don't sweat four-hole shoes. The Speedplay three-hole adapters work well, add minimal stack height, and protect the sole of the shoe, which is especially important if your shoes have carbon fiber soles.