Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 PM

School me on Speedplay pedals

I am making the switch this year and I want to make sure I understand.

It sounds like some shoes are 4 bolt and some 3 bolts shoes work with adapters (bought separate.) Also, I want to try the adjustable cleats to get my cleat back a bit. Does anyone use these and do they put any other restrictions on the shoes?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 PM

The standard 3 to 4 bolt adapters come with the cleats.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:36 PM

Nothing to add other than I'll have some up for sale tomorrow.

I'm a time atac guy
Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 PM

Do tell...Xs or Zeros?? CrMo, SS, or Ti???

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Nothing to add other than I'll have some up for sale tomorrow.

I'm a time atac guy
Old 04-26-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
It sounds like some shoes are 4 bolt and some 3 bolts shoes work with adapters (bought separate.) Also, I want to try the adjustable cleats to get my cleat back a bit. Does anyone use these and do they put any other restrictions on the shoes?
i went from spd-sl's to speedplays 5 years ago and have not looked back. I'm a HUGE advocate of speedplays and believe the adapter to convert shoes from three bolt to four comes standard and is not needed to buy "separately"....
Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
i went from spd-sl's to speedplays 5 years ago and have not looked back. I'm a HUGE advocate of speedplays and believe the adapter to convert shoes from three bolt to four comes standard and is not needed to buy "separately"....
I switched to speedplay 5 years ago too. I loved the idea of non-centering cleats. However I did look back, and I switched back to spd's again a few years ago.

They have few to no benefits IMHO.
They're atrocious to walk in.
I think the contact patch is way too small(thanks for the ground clearance, I guess), which leaves me feeling underwhelmed by their lateral support. When there's any sort of torsion on them I don't think they can compare to spd/look, too much play.
I burned through the cleats to fast. Because the pedal-cleat relationship is flipped with speedplay, I found that it was harder to keep them functioning properly as I ground dirt, sand, and one-time chewing gum into the sensitive bits of the cleat.

Anyway, good luck with that.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 AM

Favorite paint (color)

Same here...never using Speedplay again...went back to Time pedals, best decision I made...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 04:40 AM
Lanterne rouge

Tried Speedplay and hated them. Too hard to clip in. Back to Shimano. I kater found out that I may not have had them set up perfectly flat. Tried them again paying more attention than I wanted to with cleat mounting. They worked better and I made it a while. Then the cleats wore and started to suffer from contamination. One evening while screwing around with cleaning and lubing the cleats I realised I had never paid so much attention to pedals. My Dura Ace pedals in the basement quietly waiting in the basement never asked for anything but to be used. I went back to them and have never looked back. One should not have to screw around with pedals, special loooooobe and grease guns.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 AM

I'm a long time user of the X series. I love the free float and I do not experience any problems with them at all. I never lube the cleats and they work just fine. I do not walk around in them. When I ride, I ride. I don't hang out at cafes, and I don't walk around in dirt, sand, bubble gum, or anything else. If you do, get some cleat covers. Having said this, I did try the Zero series a while back, and I can see how people would get tired of the hassle. They are much harder to get in and out of, and I they do require lube and maintenance to work properly. I went back to the X series.

I have used Speedplay since long before they penetrated the pro ranks. They have always been looked down upon by the adherents of Look, Time, and later on, Shimano. It's a Campy, Shimano, SRAM sort of thing. For me, they are the only pedals that do not bother my knees. The centering float on other pedals always causes problems for me, and I have had them set up by many different "experts" as well as endless tinkering myself. They simply do not work for me. Speedplay on the other hand felt like an old friend from the first time I used them. For others, the float and smaller surface area may take getting used to, and some may never get used to it. Look and Shimano definitely feel like there is more support, but that is something I can live without in exchange for happy knees.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:12 AM
aka RAEKWON

Make sure you try em first before you put a big investment down.

What I miss about speed play, that it's double entry. Apart from that, spd so for me pretty much for the same reason Tishepa said.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 AM

I am glad I asked. Up to this point I really thought that they were universally loved by those that have used the. I certainly like the idea of double sided entry but perhaps I am better just getting SPD. I have run Look for 20 years and they have worked ok. But I hear SPD-SL is similar if not a bit better pedal.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 AM

I've been using Speedplay X's for over 20 years with no problems. You need to invest in cleat covers or Keep On Kovers if you plan on walking in them. The Keep on Kovers have saved me from buying cleats once a year. I now probably can go 2 years with a set of cleats. You just need to lube the pedals now and then, say twice a year, and spray the spring in the cleat with some PTFE.

Given all that, if I were to invest in a system today, I would give a long hard look at just buying some mtn bike shoes with some walkable cleats with float like Crank Bros. My racing days are behind me. Many models of mtn bike shoes are the same last as road shoes. They just have the treads on the bottom and you could just have one system to keep up with. I know some guys that use Speedplay Frogs in this manner.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Lots of people like them. Look at how much the used ones sell for on eBay.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I am glad I asked. Up to this point I really thought that they were universally loved by those that have used the. I certainly like the idea of double sided entry but perhaps I am better just getting SPD. I have run Look for 20 years and they have worked ok. But I hear SPD-SL is similar if not a bit better pedal.

Thanks so much.
I started with LOOK, then Campag/LOOK, then ProFit, then SP Zero and I am now and have been a big fan for over 10 years.

When I put the cleat on the same relative place as ProFit..they felt like 'clipless pedals' BUT the advantages-

-2 sided
-adjustable float
-most adjustable cleat in terms of fore-aft and in-out
-easy to maintain..
-I don't get 'burning thru cleats', plus if you do walk on them, you walk on a metal plate vs a plastic(and expensive-SPD-SL) cleat.
-if you kill a bearing, replace it, try that with Look
-if you fall and kill a pedal, you can buy one pedal(try that with shimano/look)
-fairly stiff but plastic not carbon sole shoe(Sidi Genuis 5) and the 'platform' feel like any other pedal/cleat I've used(Look/Campag).

So I'd say try them(Zero-didn't like the 'walk on ice' feel of X series)..
Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
...My racing days are behind me. Many models of mtn bike shoes are the same last as road shoes. They just have the treads on the bottom and you could just have one system to keep up with. I know some guys that use Speedplay Frogs in this manner.
Yeah, I'm on the Frogs.

Have been thinking a while about getting some mtn bike shoes.
Would be a good excuse to get that mtn bike also.