PDA

View Full Version : A Pegoretti as 65th Birthday Present: Frivolous or Not?

pjmsj21
10-05-2014, 12:56 PM
I should first note that I have a wonderfully fitting custom Serotta Concours that I am enjoying. It climbs better than my Serotta Fierte IT and my Gunnar. The ride is a bit stiff but I am a bit of a stickler on this and I can likely get it to exactly where I want it to be with my Nemesis rims built into a set of Record hubs.

However I made the mistake of visiting Lakeside Cycles a Pegoretti dealer and drooling over their frames. At the ripe old age of 65, I have to say that I really question whether I need a Peg or will I just be one of likely many old farts out there on expensive bikes. I do ride a respectable amount of miles and do several centuries during the course of a year so it is not like my riding is limited to bike paths.

But is there really going to be much of a difference from one high end (Serotta) bike than another high end Italian bike that I have to wait 18 months for?

I know these can be futile questions only answered by myself but I would appreciate input from Peg owners especially on their experiences. I was thinking Duende if I moved ahead with a Peg.

TIA

thirdgenbird
10-05-2014, 01:01 PM
It is all frivolous. If you want a peg and have the resources to do so, I say get it.

Peter P.
10-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Give the Serotta a "Pegoretti Paint Job" and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Let's face it;what attracted you is Dario's paint work, and I wouldn't blame you.

Otherwise, Pegoretti doesn't have a patent on the geometry, tubes, or ride quality. There's no magic here and you won't find any revelations if you buy it.

So yeah; I think it's a frivolous purchase. Maybe if you sold one or two of your other bikes would I see justification, otherwise it's just lust.

gomango
10-05-2014, 01:11 PM
It is all frivolous. If you want a peg and have the resources to do so, I say get it.

Agreed.

I'm trying to figure out what I want for a combined 60th birthday/retirement present.

Every time I think I have it all nailed down, I see another beautiful frameset that catches my interest.

Decisions, decisions.

jr59
10-05-2014, 01:11 PM
You are joking right?

Of course it's frivolous. :banana: So are our other high end bikes.

If you want one, and can afford it, and it will bring a smile to your face, go on and buy it!

Climb01742
10-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Go for it! I've owned just about every Peg except a BLE and I concur with choosing a Duende. I think it's the best frame for most people. It's impossible to say whether a frame is better or worse than one from another builder but I do believe this wholeheartedly: everyone should have a Peg once in their life!;)

RedRider
10-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Here's a custom Big Leg Emma we are building for a customer. He waited 18 months... what are you waiting for? :)

pjmsj21
10-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I have to say I really hesitated in posting a "should I or shouldn't I' kind of a post as I do realize that it is a very personal decision and not a poll.

The Peg would be a custom as I have long legs and a short torso and if I am going to spend $4K, I want it to really fit me, plus it would take 18ish months or so for me to get it.

But I guess it comes down to the question of does the Peg live it up it's allure or is it really "just on par "with Serotta, Kirk, Bedford, Spectrum, etc admitting that "just on par" is saying a lot.

pjmsj21
10-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Here's a custom Big Leg Emma we are building for a customer. He waited 18 months... what are you waiting for? :)

I think you could land fighter planes on those chain stays.

gasman
10-05-2014, 01:57 PM
It's frivolous but you only turn 65 once. If you can afford it and it puts a smile on your face why not ?

Besides if it's close to a 58 you might let me try it for a spin since we both live in bluejeans.;)

pdmtong
10-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Pegoretti doesn't have a patent on the geometry, tubes, or ride quality. There's no magic here and you won't find any revelations if you buy it.

Disagree. There is something about how Dario builds a frame that produces a beautiful ride. It is the pipes and the geometry and there are plenty of folks on the board who would agree. Only Ryun (a guy who has ridden a few bikes) did not care for his responsorium. That only goes to show we all have our preferences.

It's impossible to say whether a frame is better or worse than one from another builder but I do believe this wholeheartedly: everyone should have a Peg once in their life!;)

The only thing I think we can say with high confidence is that the ride will be beautiful. Buying something in search of better - can't comment without understanding your definition of what would make your current ride better.

bking
10-05-2014, 03:03 PM
buy it. you're right, frivolous is subjective, and you are judge here. I have 2 kirks, a sachs, 2 sevens, a couple nice european plastic bikes, a looong comotion, a speedvagen, one llewellyn, 2 aluminum cannondales, a periera, an ellsworth and various townie/urban bikes.
Oh yea, and two pegs. a marcelo and a responsorium. and to the gentleman above who said they're just tubes...beg to differ. the respo was custom, and is perhaps the most comfortable all around ride i have. not saying it's the best or the favorite, but so easy to ride.
I will buy another, and it won't be frivolous. this passion has been good for me, in turn good for my family.

i bought both mine from lakeside, by the way. tell them bruce from las vegas said hello. i stop by each time i'm in town.
happy 65th.

thirdgenbird
10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
buy it. you're right, frivolous is subjective, and you are judge here. I have 2 kirks, a sachs, 2 sevens, a couple nice european plastic bikes, a looong comotion, a speedvagen, one llewellyn, 2 aluminum cannondales, a periera, an ellsworth and various townie/urban bikes.
Oh yea, and two pegs.

I felt compelled to clap after I read this. I would love to see a storage room picture.

bking
10-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Bob Ross
10-05-2014, 03:10 PM
I think you could land fighter planes on those chain stays.

I've said this before, but the BLE is the bike I wanna have if I'm in a bar fight.

Bob Ross
10-05-2014, 03:12 PM
I have 2 kirks, a sachs, 2 sevens, a couple nice european plastic bikes, a looong comotion, a speedvagen, one llewellyn, 2 aluminum cannondales, a periera, an ellsworth and various townie/urban bikes.
Oh yea, and two pegs. a marcelo and a responsorium.

^^^this guy is doing something right!

Ken Robb
10-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Unless your Concors was a custom (stiffer) build and you think it's a bit too stiff I don't know that any Peg is going to be less stiff unless you can still buy a Palosanto. I think I recall that the Duende was one step up in stiffness from the Palosanto.

OTOH if you are ordering a custom Peg the differences between stock models may not apply since I presume you can spec the ride that you want.

Having ordered 3 custom bikes and never getting any of them to ride after long waits I would order from a quality builder close to home whose wait time is shorter.

From the ripe old age of 71 I can tell you I would not order the same bike today that I would have ordered when I was 65. My advice would be to get a new custom that excites you that you can be riding this Spring.:)

palincss
10-05-2014, 04:03 PM
However I made the mistake of visiting Lakeside Cycles a Pegoretti dealer and drooling over their frames. At the ripe old age of 65, I have to say that I really question whether I need a Peg or will I just be one of likely many old farts out there on expensive bikes. I do ride a respectable amount of miles and do several centuries during the course of a year so it is not like my riding is limited to bike paths.

But is there really going to be much of a difference from one high end (Serotta) bike than another high end Italian bike that I have to wait 18 months for?

Well, you are an old fart on an expensive bike already, so if you can live with yourself now you could certainly live with yourself then. If you have lust in your heart for a Pegoretti then by all means go for it.

FlashUNC
10-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Life's too short. Get it and enjoy it.

OtayBW
10-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Disagree. There is something about how Dario builds a frame that produces a beautiful ride. It is the pipes and the geometry and there are plenty of folks on the board who would agree. Only Ryun (a guy who has ridden a few bikes) did not care for his responsorium. That only goes to show we all have our preferences.

I recently purchased Ryun's Repso admittedly because it was available in my size and I just wanted to see what all this dang fuss was about - so I guess that's frivoulous right there if it's anything. I am a happy guy. One of - if not the most responsive, nimble, and 'effortless' bikes I've ever ridden in terms of being able to carve a turn, transfer power, accelerate up a climb, and provide all-day comfort in the saddle. Granted, this wasn't an immediate 'whiz bang', whoa! kind of experience on the first ride - it took a little dialing in of the fit, but very soon and now with some considerable amount of miles on it, this is without doubt, just a wonderful ride. I do feel like I am flying on this thing.

Go for it.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/IMAG0142-2.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/zelmo_2006/media/IMAG0142-2.jpg.html)

mecse
10-05-2014, 04:40 PM
It's frivolous. Do it anyway if you want to and you can and will make you happy.

rockdoc
10-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Oh yea, and two pegs. a marcelo and a responsorium. and to the gentleman above who said they're just tubes...beg to differ. the respo was custom, and is perhaps the most comfortable all around ride i have. not saying it's the best or the favorite, but so easy to ride.
I will buy another, and it won't be frivolous. this passion has been good for me, in turn good for my family.

i bought both mine from lakeside, by the way. tell them bruce from las vegas said hello. i stop by each time i'm in town.
happy 65th.

What a great addiction to be stuck with!!

rockdoc
10-05-2014, 05:08 PM
you have probably all seen this, but anyway- "I asked Robin Williams why he loved riding a bicycle so much. I'll always remember his answer, because it was wonderful and true. He said it was the closest you can get to flying."

Robin was a big Pegoretti fan.

from http://online.wsj.com/articles/robin-williams-and-dario-pegoretti-the-comedian-and-the-bike-builder-1407970079

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/rockdoc05/robinwilliamsperoretti_zpsddc5ed7d.jpg

I recently purchased Ryun's Repso admittedly because it was available in my size and I just wanted to see what all this dang fuss was about - so I guess that's frivoulous right there if it's anything. I am a happy guy. One of - if not the most responsive, nimble, and 'effortless' bikes I've ever ridden in terms of being able to carve a turn, transfer power, accelerate up a climb, and provide all-day comfort in the saddle. Granted, this wasn't an immediate 'whiz bang', whoa! kind of experience on the first ride - it took a little dialing in of the fit, but very soon and now with some considerable amount of miles on it, this is without doubt, just a wonderful ride. I do feel like I am flying on this thing.

Go for it.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/IMAG0142-2.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/zelmo_2006/media/IMAG0142-2.jpg.html)

OtayBW
10-05-2014, 05:13 PM
you have probably all seen this, but anyway- "I asked Robin Williams why he loved riding a bicycle so much. I'll always remember his answer, because it was wonderful and true. He said it was the closest you can get to flying."

Robin was a big Pegoretti fan.

from http://online.wsj.com/articles/robin-williams-and-dario-pegoretti-the-comedian-and-the-bike-builder-1407970079
Thanks for the link. Yes - I had read that and was pretty struck by the sentiment and related to it immediately. And I do have that sensation on every ride.

enr1co
10-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Completely frivolous!

Look forward to seeing pics!

pmac
10-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Another option for a birthday present worth thinking about is a trip to ride in France (or Italy, etc). If you've already got some nice bikes, having another one may make you happy, so I'm definitely in the camp of 'if you've got the money, go for it'. But you can still only ride one at a time. I did a ride in the Pyrenees and Alps last summer that I'll remember as long as my memory works, and I'd choose that over a new bike any day unless one of my favorites (Kirk and Marcelo) needed to be replaced.

thwart
10-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Give the Serotta a "Pegoretti Paint Job" and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Let's face it;what attracted you is Dario's paint work, and I wouldn't blame you.

Otherwise, Pegoretti doesn't have a patent on the geometry, tubes, or ride quality. There's no magic here and you won't find any revelations if you buy it.

So yeah; I think it's a frivolous purchase. Maybe if you sold one or two of your other bikes would I see justification, otherwise it's just lust.
Never owned a Peg. Or so it would seem.

Do it, I'd say. Provided your custom is not too weird geometry-wise, the resale value of these bikes makes the decision much easier.

HenryA
10-05-2014, 07:47 PM
You ask here if you should buy a bike?

Really?

:banana:

sfscott
10-05-2014, 08:18 PM
You may be pleasantly surprised by the wait time.

I ordered a custom Marcello with ciavete paint. While Dario might have looked at my measurements and chose a stock frame, I do not know but I ordered in late Feb and got word it will arrive at the Shop this week. We were expecting 12 months, but Mark at Velotech said that timing depends on what he's building. If the jigs and tubes are out for your size and model, you can get lucky.

I also had concern that Dario would call it quits in the not too distant future based on some things I heard and read post cancer.

Do it. None of us need more than one bike let alone any of the fancy stuff we all have.

TomP
10-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Riding a bike is a way to physically, visually and emotionally live a beautiful art form. I say go for it and enjoy to your hearts content.

harlond
10-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I was sure this was a trick question, but no. Which is why the OP really needs this:

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/08/charting-adventure-how-to-tell-if-you-need-a-new-bike/

Works for me.

pdmtong
10-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I also had concern that Dario would call it quits in the not too distant future based on some things I heard and read post cancer.

I was in Velotech a few months a ago when the Gita rep came to visit.
He mentioned "Dario won't be building forever". Of course we won't live forever either. So I ask the OP: if not now, when?

jlwdm
10-05-2014, 10:01 PM

But I guess it comes down to the question of does the Peg live it up it's allure or is it really "just on par "with Serotta, Kirk, Bedford, Spectrum, etc admitting that "just on par" is saying a lot.

These are all great frames, and what is best is purely subjective and different owners will have different answers. Fit is obviously an important factor.

I got my first custom- a Serotta - for my 60th birthday and in 7 years have not thought about getting rid of it once. I have bought other bikes though.

Jeff

enr1co
10-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I was in Velotech a few months a ago when the Gita rep came to visit.
He mentioned "Dario won't be building forever". Of course we won't live forever either. So I ask the OP: if not now, when?

Visited Above Category/Sausalito for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was also the first opportunity for me to see and touch a Pegoretti (along with some other tasty bikes). As I was admiring the Peg frames on display and chatting w/ the owner Chad about them, he mentioned the exact same thing.

Chad had a few Peg inventory frames available. If your sizing requirements are not totally custom, there may be a birthday bike in stock that fits you off the rack ;)

(I actually need to stay away from that shop as there is a Peg frame hanging in there that can fit me out the door :eek:)

pdmtong
10-05-2014, 11:26 PM
As I was admiring the Peg frames on display and chatting w/ the owner Chad about them, he mentioned the exact same thing.

in some ways a statement of the obvious, and I did not take it as a sell job.

dario, richard, JPW, tto name a few are not old, but not young either. wait too long, they may have hung it up. wait 10-15 and if they are still building, then ask yourself do you want a 75yo or a 55yo dario on the torch? yea, I know that sounds bad, but there may be some truth in it. oh, and during that wait/delay, you have gotten older too. maybe can no longer ride. who knows.

YOLO! (as the kids say)

weaponsgrade
10-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Frivolous. But I know what it's like to have an itch. So I say scratch it. IMHO though if you're expectation is that a Peg will be above and beyond all those others I think you'll be disappointed. I wouldn't go into it thinking that one is somehow "better" than the other. Rather I'd just try and see which one resonates with you the most. At this level, it's a given that all will build a competent bike. Personally, I like to talk and ideally meet the guy building the bike. I think it really adds to the whole custom experience. I'm not sure if Dario is setup to have people visit him for fittings and consultations. That would be a nice vacation though if he did. I know Spectrum has fit some oddly proportioned people. Since they make their own lugs it probably wouldn't be a problem if you needed some odd angles.

SlowPokePete
10-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Get the Peg and be happy...

SPP

oldpotatoe
10-06-2014, 06:44 AM
I should first note that I have a wonderfully fitting custom Serotta Concours that I am enjoying. It climbs better than my Serotta Fierte IT and my Gunnar. The ride is a bit stiff but I am a bit of a stickler on this and I can likely get it to exactly where I want it to be with my Nemesis rims built into a set of Record hubs.

I know these can be futile questions only answered by myself but I would appreciate input from Peg owners especially on their experiences. I was thinking Duende if I moved ahead with a Peg.

TIA

Get the Pegoretti. You will not be disappointed.

Birddog
10-06-2014, 07:08 AM

I alternate between a CSi and a Fina Estampa as my main rides. They are both great bikes but they are different. I get comments/compliments about equally re both of them. As OP said, you won't be disappointed.

Fishbike
10-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Get it. Not frivolous at all as long as you ride it. And not particularly duplicative either because of the terrific ride, unique paint, coolness of the builder, legacy of the brand and cult following among bike geeks everywhere.

And think about it. . . it a whole lot more inspirational that a gold-plated watch and a pat on the back as you turn 65 and they send you out to pasture. I mean think of all those pastures you can go explore while you are hauling you know what on your new Peg.

Happy Birthday! What bike do you want for your 70th?

(oh. . . . and I have two Pegs. Love 'em. Especially the Duende)

soulspinner
10-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Im with Thwart. If for any reason you don't keep it you can recoup a good buck. Also, if it gets you out to ride more, even better. Scratch that itch!

ultratoad
10-06-2014, 09:36 AM
What are you waiting for ???? You only get one shot at this life thing.... If it puts a smile on your face and you can afford it, do it.... I have several Pegs, I would recommend the Marcelo to you unless you are a lightweight (160 or so) then the Duende, you will not be sorry.... I'm just a bit younger than you and just ordered an Indian motorcycle--can't wait.... Gotta keep this life thing going....

climbgdh
10-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Do it!! You will not regret getting a Peg. I have a Duende which i bought used. It's not custom but man it's the most amazing bike I have ridden. Some say it's just a bunch of tubes but Dario gets it. Even after many thousands of KM's I'm amazed at the ride quality and the handling. I have several very nice bikes but nothing comes close to the Peg. Happy 65th.

wooly
10-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I say get it. YOLO as pdmtong said.

I had a Peg Respo and it was great. I don't agree that you can satisfy the urge by picking another builder and dictating geo and tube sets. A custom frame is equal parts: material, builder insight on geometry and experience with said builder. With the risk of Dario retiring due to health issues I say do it and don't look back! :banana:

pjmsj21
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
OP here....I guess asking a question like should I get a Peg to a bunch of fellow bike addicts is a bit silly and naturally I am not surprised. But I guess if I have a remaining question is that if you have had a Peg and sold it, why did you do so?

Thanks again fellow addicts.

Ken Robb
10-06-2014, 12:33 PM
I think we sell bikes that we loved because we always hope we will love the next one even more. Then there are the times that we picked exotic beauties that we found were too difficult to live with. I have a friend who has had that problem with wives too. :)

wooly
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
OP here....I guess asking a question like should I get a Peg to a bunch of fellow bike addicts is a bit silly and naturally I am not surprised. But I guess if I have a remaining question is that if you have had a Peg and sold it, why did you do so?

Thanks again fellow addicts.

I had the Peg Respo which was purchased on this forum 2nd hand. It was a great bike. But i have a Sachs and wanted to get a ti Hampsten that i could travel with and not worry about thrashing. The Sachs ranked higher on my "keeper list" so I sold the Peg and purchased the Hampsten. All this while not riding enough to justify two sweet bikes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Peg tho. It would be my next bike if I don't go with disc brakes on my next rig. So there you go...

El Chaba
10-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Don't ask us for permission. Get the Pegoretti....buy the right size.....build it with Campagnolo....post photos here ... We will respond with plenty of positive validation for your decision.

El Chaba
10-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I think we sell bikes that we loved because we always hope we will love the next one even more. Then there are the times that we picked exotic beauties that we found were too difficult to live with. I have a friend who has had that problem with wives too. :)

LOL

It is posts like this that remind me that cycling is a relatively inexpensive hobby.....

Waldo
10-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Waiting for fatter chainstays....

Waldo
10-06-2014, 01:42 PM

I would temper that with: it depends on OP's expectations.

Waldo
10-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Snip...

But I guess if I have a remaining question is that if you have had a Peg and sold it, why did you do so?

I've owned and sold five Pegorettis. Marcelo (2x) was too much frame -- too stiff. Duende was meh. Luigino was nice, but it was no better than other lugged steel frames I've ridden. The best of the bunch was an early 2000s orange frame (can't recall the model, if there was a model name) built with Deda tubes that had an aero shaped down tube. In retrospect, I should have kept that one. Your mileage -- and appreciation of Peg frames -- may vary.

downtube
10-06-2014, 01:52 PM
You aren't getting any younger, if you want it you should get it and ride the heck out of it. It is fun to be able to make a dream come true and tying it to a milestone will make it even more special. Have fun on your new bike!
chuck

bluesea
10-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I can't see how buying a Pegoretti can ever be frivolous, unless you don't ride it. The EOM 16.5 Duende was the best bike I've owned.

sevencyclist
10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Definitely frivolous to have a Serotta.

Are you regretting being frivolous?

Apply your logic here. :)

thwart
10-06-2014, 07:53 PM
The EOM 16.5 Duende was the best bike I've owned.
Great minds think alike... :banana:

Marz
10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
If it helps, donate money to a worthy cause, then get it.

The psych literature says a lot of dopamine washes through your brain in anticipation of the acquisition, then getting it may be a let down, but what are we here for?

I have Marcelo which I don't ride much because of current circumstances which I intend to overcome. The bike, which is stock geometry, is truly sublime and I can compare it to many great bikes which I've bought and sold but I will never sell the Peg.

Do it if you have the means.

wc1934
10-06-2014, 08:33 PM

happy 65th.

you are the king

jr59
10-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Why not? As I am reminded on a different thread, with the passing of Pete Mckeon, life is short and nobody gets out alive! Along the way, we hope to make a few friends. Ride a few miles, and enjoy life to it's fullest! As it can be gone in the blink of an eye. BUY the Peg thats you like. Ride it the way you want. Life is to short to cheat yourself.

Like the late,great Warren Zevon said before he passed. Enjoy every sandwich!

brando
10-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Snip...

The best of the bunch was an early 2000s orange frame (can't recall the model, if there was a model name) built with Deda tubes that had an aero shaped down tube. In retrospect, I should have kept that one. Your mileage -- and appreciation of Peg frames -- may vary.

Sounds like a Palosanto. Really smooth rider.

Waldo
10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a Palosanto. Really smooth rider.

That frame pre-dated Palosanto and Palosanto had a round down tube. The orange one had an aero shaped down tube. It descended like no bike I have ridden in 28 years of serious cycling.

Ken Robb
10-06-2014, 10:30 PM
The stock Palosantos that I saw were yellow with small red highlights.

thwart
10-07-2014, 12:06 AM
The stock Palosantos that I saw were yellow with small red highlights.

Over the years the frame was produced there were different color schemes. I have owned the yellow one you mention (known as 'nails'), and have seen a gray one. But I think they all had round tubes.

The Custom Team had shaped tubes, however that is not the usual 'superman' Custom Team paint scheme.

weisan
10-07-2014, 12:12 AM
No, it's not.

Most pals, including even the self-confessed "average-normal" biker, ended up spending ALOT more, when you add up everything they bought over the years. They just didn't know it... :rolleyes:

fuzzalow
10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
But I guess if I have a remaining question is that if you have had a Peg and sold it, why did you do so?

As like many cyclists, my fit & position on the bike has changed and progressed over the years and my custom Marcelo was a trusted benchmark for gauging the effects of those changes. That Peg was among the most adjustable bikes I had ever owned - the extended headtube that comes with most Peg designs was a genius touch IMO because the frame was not hard-point limited to the amount of drop that could be run. Trimming the head tube in reality & effect made for a new geometry bike.

You can not tell a bike doesn't fit until you know the bike doesn't fit. A rider will adapt and convince himself that the fit is good all the while the bike is adjusted incrementally to the limits of its fit parameters. I reached that point with my Marcelo. Even as custom, it was still not long 'n' low enough. For me, the balance point on that bike still required a few millimeters more but less than a centimeter. And with that Marcelo, there was not one more millimeter left to give. And for that reason alone was the bike sold.

Pegorettis are superb bikes and one of the true pinnacles to be experienced in the cycling world. If it is set up correctly and allowed to run, there are few finer throughout the collective experience of cycling.

MilanoTom
10-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I've got a Palosanto. It's a nice bike, but a tad too small for me, so it's waiting to be sold to someone who can use it. Even though the main tubes are not oversized by today's standards, they're comparable in diameter to those on the old Masi 3V.

...but to get back to the original post... If you want a Peg, get it, or you'll always regret not doing so.

Regards,
Tom

Dave Ferris
01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
I was at a LBS in Burbank today and they had a 54 '14 Duende in this color scheme:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697862760&stc=1&d=1371309068

I'm a 54 on my older '03 Litespeed Classic. I've read on RBF to go down in sizing on the Duende and Marcelo. Any truth to that ? Would I be best on a 52 or 53 ? I'm 61 and 5' 9" & 156 (after the holidays) ..lol

Didn't have time to test ride the 54. Loved the color scheme.

The shop guys said the Duende was his most comfortable bike if you're not racing...which I won't be.

How does it compare with the straight TT, non-CR/RSL Moots Vamoots ?

bluesea
01-09-2015, 06:15 PM
I was at a LBS in Burbank today and they had the '14 Duende in this color scheme:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697862760&stc=1&d=1371309068

I'm a 54 on my older '03 Litespeed Classic. I've read on RBF to go down in sizing on the Duende and Marcelo. Any truth to that ? Would I be best on a 52 or 53 ? I'm 61 and 5' 9" & 156 (after the holidays) ..lol

Didn't have time to test ride the 54. Loved the color scheme.

The shop guys said the Duende was his most comfortable bike if you're not racing...which I won't be.

Except for the longer HT the 53 Duende fit basically the same as a 54cm Atlanta/2014 54cm Vamoots, all stock geo.

EOM 16.5 Duende compared to Vamoots. The latter close but not quite as stiff, and also a *bit*more yielding to harsher road bumps.

GITA has the Faema Champagne in-stock, btw. Not sure if I remembered to ask about size, drat.

choke
01-09-2015, 06:25 PM
EOM 16.5 Duende compared to Vamoots. The latter close but not quite as stiff, and also a *bit*more yielding to harsher road bumps. I believe that Duendes have used Columbus Spirit tubing for few years now.

bluesea
01-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I believe that Duendes have used Columbus Spirit tubing for few years now.

Yup, wondering if the Spirit Duende has a bit stiffer ride. I'd give a peach to know if thats true or not. Really loved my ex Duende.

thwart
01-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Yup, wondering if the Spirit Duende has a bit stiffer ride. I'd give a peach to know if thats true or not. Really loved my ex Duende.

Love my 2008 era Duende, with EOM 16.5 tubes… would be a bit hesitant to trade for a new one for that very reason.

Bear with me here…

I'll give up my Duende when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :banana:

bluesea
01-10-2015, 11:56 AM
I'll give up my Duende when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :banana:

:)

Faema Champagne
http://i.imgur.com/05pjQ7kl.jpg (http://imgur.com/05pjQ7k)

soulspinner
01-10-2015, 12:05 PM
:)

Faema Champagne
http://i.imgur.com/05pjQ7kl.jpg (http://imgur.com/05pjQ7k)

Wow thats nice!

roguedog
01-10-2015, 01:06 PM
oh my .. lovely.. Dario has been on a tear lately.

RedRider
01-10-2015, 01:12 PM

I wouldn't know where to start. Apples and oranges. Both nice bikes but different materials, different aesthetics, etc...

Savile Road has a Duende in the Faema Champagne scheme arriving next week. Will post pics...

roguedog
01-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Is that the new color for this year's Duende? Oh my.

I sorta love these two. Are these helping you decide??

http://www.bikyle.com/images/PegorettiColors/Pegoretti_NK_green.jpg

bluesea
01-10-2015, 01:55 PM
^ North Korea Green? :hello:

I thought Peg color schemes were model specific?

choke
01-10-2015, 03:07 PM
I thought Peg color schemes were model specific?I think that you can pretty much get any scheme on any model if you're willing to wait a long time and pay extra. It's my understanding that Gita picks a couple of schemes for each model and those are the only options unless one does a special order, while in other locations such is not the case.