Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM

A Pegoretti as 65th Birthday Present: Frivolous or Not?

I should first note that I have a wonderfully fitting custom Serotta Concours that I am enjoying. It climbs better than my Serotta Fierte IT and my Gunnar. The ride is a bit stiff but I am a bit of a stickler on this and I can likely get it to exactly where I want it to be with my Nemesis rims built into a set of Record hubs.

However I made the mistake of visiting Lakeside Cycles a Pegoretti dealer and drooling over their frames. At the ripe old age of 65, I have to say that I really question whether I need a Peg or will I just be one of likely many old farts out there on expensive bikes. I do ride a respectable amount of miles and do several centuries during the course of a year so it is not like my riding is limited to bike paths.

But is there really going to be much of a difference from one high end (Serotta) bike than another high end Italian bike that I have to wait 18 months for?

I know these can be futile questions only answered by myself but I would appreciate input from Peg owners especially on their experiences. I was thinking Duende if I moved ahead with a Peg.

TIA
Old 10-05-2014, 01:01 PM

It is all frivolous. If you want a peg and have the resources to do so, I say get it.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Give the Serotta a "Pegoretti Paint Job" and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Let's face it;what attracted you is Dario's paint work, and I wouldn't blame you.

Otherwise, Pegoretti doesn't have a patent on the geometry, tubes, or ride quality. There's no magic here and you won't find any revelations if you buy it.

So yeah; I think it's a frivolous purchase. Maybe if you sold one or two of your other bikes would I see justification, otherwise it's just lust.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
It is all frivolous. If you want a peg and have the resources to do so, I say get it.
Agreed.

I'm trying to figure out what I want for a combined 60th birthday/retirement present.

Every time I think I have it all nailed down, I see another beautiful frameset that catches my interest.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:11 PM

You are joking right?

Of course it's frivolous. So are our other high end bikes.

If you want one, and can afford it, and it will bring a smile to your face, go on and buy it!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 PM
needs adult supervision

Go for it! I've owned just about every Peg except a BLE and I concur with choosing a Duende. I think it's the best frame for most people. It's impossible to say whether a frame is better or worse than one from another builder but I do believe this wholeheartedly: everyone should have a Peg once in their life!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Vendor

Here's a custom Big Leg Emma we are building for a customer. He waited 18 months... what are you waiting for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRBLE.jpg (38.3 KB, 770 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM

I have to say I really hesitated in posting a "should I or shouldn't I' kind of a post as I do realize that it is a very personal decision and not a poll.

The Peg would be a custom as I have long legs and a short torso and if I am going to spend $4K, I want it to really fit me, plus it would take 18ish months or so for me to get it.

But I guess it comes down to the question of does the Peg live it up it's allure or is it really "just on par "with Serotta, Kirk, Bedford, Spectrum, etc admitting that "just on par" is saying a lot.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
Here's a custom Big Leg Emma we are building for a customer. He waited 18 months... what are you waiting for?
I think you could land fighter planes on those chain stays.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

It's frivolous but you only turn 65 once. If you can afford it and it puts a smile on your face why not ?

Besides if it's close to a 58 you might let me try it for a spin since we both live in bluejeans.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:41 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Pegoretti doesn't have a patent on the geometry, tubes, or ride quality. There's no magic here and you won't find any revelations if you buy it.
Disagree. There is something about how Dario builds a frame that produces a beautiful ride. It is the pipes and the geometry and there are plenty of folks on the board who would agree. Only Ryun (a guy who has ridden a few bikes) did not care for his responsorium. That only goes to show we all have our preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
It's impossible to say whether a frame is better or worse than one from another builder but I do believe this wholeheartedly: everyone should have a Peg once in their life!
The only thing I think we can say with high confidence is that the ride will be beautiful. Buying something in search of better - can't comment without understanding your definition of what would make your current ride better.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 PM

buy it. you're right, frivolous is subjective, and you are judge here. I have 2 kirks, a sachs, 2 sevens, a couple nice european plastic bikes, a looong comotion, a speedvagen, one llewellyn, 2 aluminum cannondales, a periera, an ellsworth and various townie/urban bikes.
Oh yea, and two pegs. a marcelo and a responsorium. and to the gentleman above who said they're just tubes...beg to differ. the respo was custom, and is perhaps the most comfortable all around ride i have. not saying it's the best or the favorite, but so easy to ride.
I will buy another, and it won't be frivolous. this passion has been good for me, in turn good for my family.

i bought both mine from lakeside, by the way. tell them bruce from las vegas said hello. i stop by each time i'm in town.
happy 65th.

Last edited by bking; 10-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
buy it. you're right, frivolous is subjective, and you are judge here. I have 2 kirks, a sachs, 2 sevens, a couple nice european plastic bikes, a looong comotion, a speedvagen, one llewellyn, 2 aluminum cannondales, a periera, an ellsworth and various townie/urban bikes.
Oh yea, and two pegs.
I felt compelled to clap after I read this. I would love to see a storage room picture.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Old 10-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj21 View Post
I think you could land fighter planes on those chain stays.
I've said this before, but the BLE is the bike I wanna have if I'm in a bar fight.