Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Continental vs Michelin
GP4000S 64 68.09%
Pro Race 3 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 AM

What tire do you like better?

Continental GP4000S or the Michelin Pro Race 3.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM

I think the michelins ride better, and they feel faster but I've never seen confirmation they are actually faster for most conditions.

I find the pro3 durability lacking so do not use them though. They've cut quickly and I've flatted consistently more often with them.

The rear 4000s squares off quickly, but both front and rear have been significantly more durable than the pro3.

In my opinion, the 4000s races better in the rain, has far superior flat protection, but does not ride as nice as many other tires I've used.

My current favorite clincher is the Schwalbe ultremo zx. It's super smooth riding, and has been very cut and puncture resistant while weighing less grams than tires in it's same class. It also feels faster rolling than any clincher I've used.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Administrator

i voted because they were my only choices, but really i would choose neither if it were a choice.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM

+1 I've been riding the Vittoria Open Paves and am really liking them. But if I had to choose between the two you've given, I'd prob go Conti. Just haven't heard great things about the Pro3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i voted because they were my only choices, but really i would choose neither if it were a choice.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Michelin are not welcome on any of my bicycles.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 AM

I put some Michelin Pro3s on my Serotta because they were a good deal at Ebay. I'm shocked at how quickly they wore out. It will be GP 4000s for me from now on.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
'97 Ti Legend

As said above, I like the feel of the Pro Race 3, but they wear too quickly. Contis were my go to for a long time, but in the last year I'd vote Schwalbe Ultremo.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Administrator

these are hands down the best clinchers i've ever ridden. great feel to them, very predictable handling, and give you a great feeling of being "connected to the road". they arent great in the wear or flat protection department, but that's a trade-off for a great ride. these are my new go-to tire.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Mr Dobalina

Have never ridden the veloflex's that AS is talking about. PR3s are my favorite, and they do wear faster than the Conti's, but when I am bombing down a descent or taking a corner in Crit, they stick (at least in my own mind, which affects the way I ride for the good). I haven't had all the flat issues others have had, but road conditions/maintenance vary drastically depending on where you live. I have found them as low as 65 a pair shipped on E-bay and at that pricepoint, I can afford to change them out.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
these are hands down the best clinchers i've ever ridden. great feel to them, very predictable handling, and give you a great feeling of being "connected to the road". they arent great in the wear or flat protection department, but that's a trade-off for a great ride. these are my new go-to tire.

+1

Zmudshark and Gomango pushed me into these and I have nothing to say but THANK YOU! I haven't flatted yet, they corner quickly and have a very nice road feel. Also terrific tread in rain.

I'm going to be using my first tubulars in about 20 years this week - I put a pair of Conti 4000 tbubies on my Primato - I'm really anxious to see if they're really that much better than a quality clincher.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Depends on how you define "better". What does better mean to you? For some, the ride of the tire trumps all. I used to feel that way. For others, durability is a priority. For me, based on how I ride, something in the middle is what I am looking for.

For the ride - comfort/grip/smoothness - Michellin PR3

For Durability - GP4000S

I used to ride the PR3s, and PR2s before that, exclusively. However, I got tired of changing flats on the Michis. Now, I ride the GP4000s. The ride is not nearly as nice, but I don't have to mess around with chronic premature tire wear and flats nearly as often. Life is all about trade-offs, I guess.

With tires, I have come to the realization that I can't have it all, ride and durability. I have to choose one over the other. Based on my experience, the tires that ride the best: PR3s, Veloflex - Pave, Vittoria Open Corsa CX. For me, they all have durability issues. There was a time when I was willing to accept less durability for ride. Now, I have less patience for flats than I used to. So, I feel the GP4000s is a good compromise. Decent ride characteristics, but much better tire wear and flat resistance.

Last edited by mgm777; 07-20-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Older Than You

The best mileage I've ever had was 4200 miles on Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires. Not bad for a 200 pound rider on 700x23 rubber.

The bad news is of course that they rode like truck tires....

The Continentals ride soooo much better.

Last edited by biker72; 07-20-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
However, I got tired of changing flats on the Michis.
Yep. Ride with a PR3 fan... although lately not really. Lots 'o flats, whereas little ol' me, on my Corsa CX's or Paves, not so much.

Full disclosure: I ride at 10-15 lb less pressure as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi
Continental GP4000S or the Michelin Pro Race 3.
Between those two, the Continental is the better tire nearly any way you want to measure them, except for feel, where the Michelin feels nicer. I have never seen a tire more susceptible to cuts than the PR3. Right now I am riding a PR3 on the front and GP4000s on the back. So far they make a really nice combination.

EDIT: As a side note, the Michelin's have a sound that I really dislike, especially cornering and at high speed. It almost sounds like a puncture and is kind of unnerving. The Contis are silent.

Last edited by bigreen505; 07-20-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Princess Sweat

Rode em both.

They require different pressures for optimal __insert jargon__

Both feel quite nice.

GP last longer.

Never had a PRO3 slip on a decreasing radius turn. GPs slipped once.

Both get better with latex tubes.

Flats are flats. No punctures with either.

Both are good enough. As are Schwalbe Ultremo, Vittoria EVO blahblahblah, Veloflex, etc. If you figure out the right pressure for em.

Then again.

I'm currently riding $20 Lithion 2s and ripping the same descents with no problem. Not as supple or whatever but a 3-5psi drop in pressure makes em work.