Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM

Rear der ques. Campy 10s

So I just finished pulling together my new caad with full record. When I'm in the big chainring, I can't get it to run smoothly on the largest three cogs, I know I won't be cross over with those gears, but on all my other bikes, all campy, those spin smooth. It seems like the chainline is off..the chain is running on the outside of the derailleur pulleys if that makes sense...any thoughts? I'll try to explain better tomorrow on a computer, thus is posted from my phone...all other shifting is flawless...is just really rough in the big big combo

Running cannondale branded sram red cranks, record rear d

Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Dutch Oven

Look again at your campy instruction sheet. It tells you to recenter the pulleys under the 4th cog using the barrel adjuster after you get the big in front/small in back combination set. Also, make sure that you have the cable attached properly at the rear mech. It is very sensitive as to placement under the attachment point - it needs to sit in the groove, which is tiny.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 PM
cmg

set the screw on the derailluer for the larger cog. i believe it's the rearward screw on the front cover of the derailluer. check out the park tool directions, http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nts-derailleur

Last edited by cmg; 07-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM

+1 on the rear limit screw. A few turns should do it.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 PM

If noen of the above works, it could be an out of alignment derailleur hanger. That happened to me on a tri bike I was playing with. In that case I noticed the chain was doing funny things as it came off the big chainring.

CaptStash....
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Hmmm...

I'm 99% certain its not the limit screw as when im in the small chainring, there are absolutely no issues, shifts thorugh all the gears smoothly... its just when i'm in the large chanring, large (26t) cog, the chain is entering the lower pulley at a steep angle and not sitting properly...

I'll fool with it again tonight and see if I can figure it out a bit more... its a brand new frame, so it should be the der. hanger...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Au contraire! Since it is a brand new frame it could very well be the der. hanger. At least that was the deal with my bike. The frame I was playing was literally new out of the box.

Saul aka CaptStash....
Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Ottrott DKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337
...the chain is entering the lower pulley at a steep angle and not sitting properly...
I've had this happen with a Record RD that had a bit too much free play in the hanger pivot, allowing the derailleur to sit a little crooked. I added a shim under the pivot bolt head and that resolved it. Dave has posted about this, worth a search.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Chain length

Is the chain too short?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Check the pulley cage. Even slightly "off" (bent,) can cause the chain to "jump" the pulley wheels, IME. Happens a bit more with medium and long cage, but is possible with short cages, also.

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 07-12-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Check the pulley, do they wobble?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM

answers....

chain is spot on... that was my first thought last night, so i double checked that i set it up right (followed the park guide for big/big + inch)...

It certainly appears, after test riding a quick 15 today, that the pulleys wobble/derialleur is bent... when i'm in the big ring, large cog set up, the derailleur "bends" inward... which messes up the chain line, and the chain wont set on the pulleys... i'll try to fool with it tonight... basically i have 17 gears that i can use now... just the largest three cogs, when used with the large chainring, dont work... really strange...

my thought right now is the rear der. is bent or wont sit vertical, and "twists" a bit in the big/big combo...

i'll try to update to night if i can.. have to paint a room first (ugh)
Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider
Is the chain too short?
Just curious, how much harm is there in using a chain that's a hair too short (probably a link or so)? I transferred all the parts from my lynskey to the serotta a while ago and haven't had a chance to get a new chain on there, but the longer chainstays on the serotta have the RD STRETCHED in the big/big combo.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:24 PM

big big tight

if it is stretched too tight it can lock in the big / big

been there / done that

as long as it works and is not totally tight, you are good

the only time you should use the big/ big is by accident in the heat of the moment
Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e
if it is stretched too tight it can lock in the big / big

been there / done that

as long as it works and is not totally tight, you are good

the only time you should use the big/ big is by accident in the heat of the moment
Yeah, there's no locking (had that happen when hoping I could install a new bigger cassette on a friend's bike w/o more chain--whoops!). It runs, but the RD is stretched. Definitely not a combo there's any reason to be in.