Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Bike Fitter

OT , the loss of one's pet before her time .

I just don't know where to start this thread , Friday my wife flew home cutting short her Open House festivities to join some perfect strangers helping to find our 4 1/2 year old Shar-pei whom got loose from our dog sitter . The long and the short of the story is Karen arrived home to get the news less then one hour later that the humane society had called and told her to come identify our dead dog . She was hit by a motorist that DID NOT STOP to render assistance . A passerby stopped called it in and waited till the humane socitey came by , by then our Joy had passed on . I got this news while trying to get any news while dinning at the Davis Phinney dinner event .
Shook up and mad would not come close to some of my feelings . It was great to be with in the Serotta Family and get the support to hang in there and condolences from new friends I had just made and old friends that I know will be there for life for me . I wanted to thank everyone personally on Karen's and my behalf for your prayers and support .Sandy and Gloria you guys are the greatest . Thanks and please hug your pets today for us , it sure will make us feel like they will tell Joy we will really miss her and that she made our life better for having rescued her . Your the greatest bunch of guys and gals we could want to meet in cyberspace .

Smiley and Karen

Last edited by Smiley; 06-12-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Kevan's Rose

Smiley

I sent you two long PM's from Saratoga Springs, but they did not go through. The two short test messages did go through. I tried then to send Rapid Tourist a long PM, and that did not go through either. So, since you have started a thread on the tragic loss of your wonderful dog Joy, I will make some of my comments here, trying not to specifically designate too much, the parties involved. I sincerely hope that this post goes through. In fact, I am going to try to send this now, and if it is posted on the forum, I will then try again to post again on this thread.

Sandy
Old 06-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Kevan's Rose

Karen and Smiley

Both Gloria and I are very upset over the sudden and tragic loss of Joy. Understandably, it is a highly traumatic and emotionally charged event. I cleary understand your feelings of hurt from the loss of your wonderful dog, and your anger and resentment to a few involved.

First, relative to the motorist that did not stop- Unfortunately, there are motorists who not only won't stop after hitting an animal, there are some who won't even stop after hitting a human. Too many people are too seflish and too concerned about their own little world and are most unfortunately insensitive to and non-caring to people and/or animals, such as dogs. Dogs, being a non-human animal are often looked at as simply being a possession or a thing, void of life, sensitivities, feelings, needs and often not a real priority to their "owners". Karen and Smiley, you are wonderful caring and giving people who treat both people and dogs in a most concerned, loving, and giving way. It is simply very difficult for you to accept those who could basically care less about a dog, especially your dog. It was very frustrating and disconceritng to you when Joy could not be captured, when she was loose. The following accident with a non-caring motorist was obviously very hurtful and disconcerting.

I will post this and then post again.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy; 06-12-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Smiley and Karen,
I only met Joy that once at your house the other weekend of the Darnestown group ride (I brought my new Ottrott for girls) and I am so sorry that she got hit. I have two dogs of my own and that is a constant fear. My sister lost her Dobie last summer while a friend was babysitting him and somehow he also got out of her yard and got hit. It is just tragic and hits you in the gut. I have tears in my eyes as I write this, I want you to know how sorry I am. Our dogs never live long enough even when they live to an arthritic, deaf, incontinent old age (as did my Lab, June, who had to be put down at 17 a few years ago). Joy was just a pup still, so sweet, beautiful, and shy. Just remember what a happy life you gave her, esp with that new patio and back yard you have. She really seemed to be enjoying that barbecue with the one-legged man, though all the strangers were, well, strange to her.
I actually got her to come over for a pet or two while I was there. I am so so sorry that someone speeding heedlessly through a quiet residential neighborhood hit her and then didn't bother to stop.
Joy was a class act and will be remembered.
--Sarah, a dog lover, who has grieved many dog losses. It's the nature of the dog life span and the fools on the roads.

Cyclilsts--be careful! The motorists are out to get us too.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Smiley and Karen

The Boca Gang join the list of your many friends who offer condolences upon learning of the loss. Know that our thoughs are with you.

Marianne and Don
Old 06-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Kevan's Rose

Smiley

I had another long post for this thread disappear when I tried to post it, so I am going to try later.

Sandy
Old 06-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Dear Smiley and Karen,

My condolences on the loss of Joy. She sounds like a wonderful little girl and loved by all.

I just had a discussion earlier today with one of my petsitters regarding leaving my "kids" for two weeks. More than anything, I'm most worried that they will be okay. They're use to my son and me being with them. They're people cuddlers. I don't usually let my sitters let the cats out (they like to go in and out), but I've been worried that if I do let them go outside, they might not come in because we're not here. One of them is very shy. My big boy, AJ, an Australian Shepherd, is already moping around because he senses when we go away. Two weeks sounds so long.

My heart and tears go out to you. I am so sorry.
Ritaann
Old 06-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

Smiley,

Being a dog lover myself, I understand that the family dog is a full fledged member of the family. You have my deepest condolences. I wish I could have been in Saratoga to tell you in person.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman
Old 06-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
Both Gloria and I are very upset over the sudden and tragic loss of Joy. Understandably, it is a highly traumatic and emotionally charged event. I cleary understand your feelings of hurt from the loss of your wonderful dog, and your anger and resentment to a few involved.

First, relative to the motorist that did not stop- Unfortunately, there are motorists who not only won't stop after hitting an animal, there are some who won't even stop after hitting a human. Too many people are too seflish and too concerned about their own little world and are most unfortunately insensitive to and non-caring to people and/or animals, such as dogs. Dogs, being a non-human animal are often looked at as simply being a possession or a thing, void of life, sensitivities, feelings, needs and often not a real priority to their "owners". Karen and Smiley, you are wonderful caring and giving people who treat both people and dogs in a most concerned, loving, and giving way. It is simply very difficult for you to accept those who could basically care less about a dog, especially your dog. It was very frustrating and disconceritng to you when Joy could not be captured, when she was loose. The following accident with a non-caring motorist was obviously very hurtful and disconcerting.

I will post this and then post again.

Sandy
I think Sandy did a great job describing how many of us feel. My condolances.

My wife and kids and I would all be devastated if we lost our beloved lab.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:13 PM

So sorry to hear

Smiley,

Even after such a brief meeting a few weeks ago at the ride you hosted, I could tell Joy was a great dog. Most dogs are, and she had that wonderful gentle, take it as it comes, spirit about her. We've had our little cockapoo for just a little over a couple of years, and I already can't imagine what it was like before we had her. I'm so sorry for your loss and can only imagine how sad it is.

Hang in there,

-Ray
Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Smiley and Karen...

I've tried to write a response a few times and nothing is working for me. I don't know what to say. Those dang bundles of fur crawl right into our hearts, giving us love, joy, and horrible heartache. I'm so.. so sorry to read this terrible news.

Kevan
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 06-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Spinsistah

I'm so sorry

Smiley and Karen, I am so sorry for your loss of Joy. I have 4 Shih Tzu, and I do rescue. I pull Shih Tzus from puppy mills, shelters and take owner relinquishes, rehab and rehome them. I am fiercely protective of dog's rights, and I cannot believe the person that hit her did not stop and try to help her. What's wrong with people?? Dogs are not possessions, they are members of your family. I am glad you were with friends when you learned of this, and I feel for Karen having to go to the shelter to identify her body. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I too have tears in my eyes as I write this. This is a terrible, terrible tragedy.

Stephanie
Old 06-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Spinsistah

Smiley, one more thing.......

Joy is in peace and painfree waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Again, my heart goes out to your family at this time. Big cyber hug coming to you and Karen.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Post Mod-ern

Smiley and Karen . . .

How do I manage to find words to really say how sorry I feel for both of you and your poor, sweet Joy? The answer, of course, is that I cannot. I have no real frame of reference for the event. I know that to you two, your dogs are not just “our dogs.” They are your companions, the ones you project your joy and your pride and your love through--your “children,” as it were. The only common frame of reference I can begin to find is to have my daughter be hit and killed by a car while I was out of town and helpless to either intervene or at least be with her to support her. That is inconceivable in itself. But when I also know that you also lost your previous pet to cancer(?) Just a few short years ago, my basis for comparison diappears, because I only have one child. To imagine having two children and having them both taken from me in the space of a few short years is even more inconceivable.

On the one hand I am glad that if something like this had to happen, that you were with friends like this who could lend you support when you need it. On the other hand, it must have been both infuriating and devastating to be so far away from home and be so helpless--unable to do a d@mn thing about it--and doubly so to have it happen in the midst of a weekend I know the both of you were looking forward to so much--and had been looking forward to for so long.

I can only say I will be thinking of the both of you and thinking of Joy up in Dog Heaven telling her friends what great “People Pets” she was lucky enough to know after being rescued from the shelter. I am also sure from having met your friend who was caring for her that she must also feel absolutely awful in a helpless and empty way.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, and perhaps later this summer we can figure out some way to give you and Karen your own special “Owner’s Weekend” if you can get back up to Saratoga.

BBDave
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 06-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Windrider

Others have said it better than I.......

so sorry for your loss.

I lost my Dog partner Marika last winter after 13 long years, and still am unable to describe the loss.

Thinking of you and Karen and sending you light.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."