Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
oracle

Thumbs up tell it like it is , robbie

Asked about his rivals in this race; McEwen makes it clear that he doesn't fear Belgian Tom Boonen, who besides being the country's next big hope for the classics has also shown that he can hold his own in a bunch sprint.

"Boonen is quick, but you can't say he's a born sprinter," McEwen said about the Quick.Step-Davitamon rider. "I think that he has the ability to rank amongst the first three in a big sprint, when the circumstances are favourable, but winning is another matter, even with Zanini there to lead him out! Well, maybe I'm a bit quick saying this because anything can happen really in a mass sprint.
Tom Boonen profited from heavy winds in Tuesday's second stage of the Tour of Qatar, taking the stage win in a sprint victory ahead of Jean-Patrick Nazon (Ag2r) and grabbing the overall leader's jersey.

Quick Step set a blistering pace from the gun, causing the group to split into two. The second group finished more than 30 minutes off Boonen's winning time.

i have become somewhat fond of watching mc ewan put his foot in his mouth, or threaten to fill someone else's with his fist.....

oracle
Old 02-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Dr. Doofus

Yo, antipodean antagonist....

So Boonen won the sprint in Quatar -- all the fast guys (Zabel, Friere, etc.) are in Spain right now....
Old 02-04-2004, 12:24 AM
commuter racer

Robbie is fast to be sure but I'm not sure he is all there..after all he is from OZ! Ooops! Sorry guys!

ha ha.. Fosters??
Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 AM
oracle

sure, doofus

but not robbie, and that was the point-

Cyclingnews
Boonen answers McEwen
Just as Robbie McEwen cast doubt on young Belgian Tom Boonen's ability to win a big sprint, the Quick.Step-Davitamon rider secured his team's first win of the season, and the fifth of his career in the second stage of the Tour of Qatar Tuesday.

"I'm happy that I can now beat these big names in a sprint," Boonen said on Belgian's Radio 1.

"I feel good but did not realize that I'm already in winning shape," he added. "The team has been working hard here and it feels good to be able to finish it of for them. In the sprint Zanini helped me really well. Robbie McEwen started of quickly, but I was able to come past him."

oracle

btw, are you a big fan of ayn rand?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Dr. Doofus

The Doc Ain't thinking Clearly Right Now Because It's the End of The School Day and He has Reports To Run:

But he and I are appalled by both Rand and her Objectivist lapdogs. Woof Woof. Bow wow wow yippe yo yippe yay.

Trying to be rather more clear, we are of the opinion that Objectivism presumes both an epistemological model, and a model of human psychological development, that doesn't convince me. I'll need to do a little review/research to give you a serious and thoughtful response, but for the moment I hope you'll let us slide with some general, unsupported statements:

1) She seems to make a number of assumptions about Kant that are not borne out by careful readings of the First Critique...her attacks seem to take Kant's regulative hypotheses (what the author of the excellent Kant and The Mind defines as Apperceptive Self-Awareness)as literal statements ...the two realms are working hypotheses, baby, not a quasi-Platonic statement about the objective existence of things....

2) Objectivism appears to ignore the role of collectivity in human mental, psychological, and social development. I am more persuaded by the work of Kohlberg, his femiminist extendors/critics, etc..although there are a few Objectivist-leaning studies and theories in this area....

3) Her novels are crap.

4) The Doc has a weakness for Hegel and Adorno, but mainly he is a Levinas guy. He is always rattling on about Autrement Qu'Etre ou Au Dela De L'Essence on training rides, and I ask him to just shut up because really I just like wrestling on TV.

5) I really like Belle and Sebastian's last album. Has nothing to do with the foregoing, but what does the foregoing have to do with itself, anyway?

Last edited by Dr. Doofus; 02-04-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:13 PM
oracle

i am greatly relieved,

dr. d

for a great fan of ayn rand i am not. in the world of philosophia,
i am perhaps the analog of the brooks saddle curmudgeon in the world of cycling, being more of a platonist rooted in an arcane world of forms.
- and who could possibly be more at odds than ayn rand and plato?

oracle
pursuit of metaphysical awareness greatly enhanced by

Old 02-04-2004, 01:59 PM
the antiviper

Dr. Doofus,

I am a great fan of Belle & Sebastian. I assume that you're referring to "Tigermilk"? If so, "If You're Feeling Sinister" is every bit as good. If you're referring to "If You're Feeling Sinister", ditto for "Tigermilk". "The Boy With the Arab Strap" and all of the EPs leading up to "Fold Your Hands Child..." are pretty wonderful, too. But after that, I start losing interest.

A lot of people whose opinions I respect like their new one. It hasn't grabbed me yet.

And while I'm writing you, I have to ask: Split personality? Bizarre affect? Or are there actually two of you? Please explain.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Dr. Doofus

The Doc Says Through Me:

Its a stylistic conceit. Like all, conceits, however, it is the only way to use the malleable medium of language to evoke a world. In our case, I have met the enemy and he is us.

I'd love to continue, but that prick is making me ride the trainer again.

Last edited by Dr. Doofus; 02-04-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:54 PM
imho this is mp bro.

the jerk doesn't understand....can't you just keep it third person singular like the jerk?

p.s. the jerk was reading minima moralia while wathcing wwe smack down this monday. both served as interesting comments on each other.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:02 PM
oracle

Smile

it was the continuous 1st person plural that led me to ask dr. d if he is an ayn rand atlas shrugged fan.....so confusing

oracle