Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Todd Owen

New 7-11 CSi

I am only 2-3 weeks away from getting my new CSi painted in the team 7-11 color scheme. The new frame is somewhat of a nostalgic purchase.... reminds me of when I was lucky enough to see the slurpee team ride in Colorado in the 1980s. I still have one of the slurpee water bottles! Building it up with a Dura Ace 9 speed group to look a bit more traditional. also using mavic reflex sew up rims and veloflex criterium sew ups tires. rolls black saddle and serotta Ti stem 90 degree. frame is 56.5 seat and top tube is also 56.5. I have ridden alot of steel and custom frames and my original 2002 CSi is still the best riding frame I have owned. this includes too many frames to mention but the snap of acceleration and feel on the climbs is second to none. I am also going with a steel serotta fork although unexpiring to some... I love the henry james look on my Columbine, Zinn, and CSi. beauty to me is symplicity and function although a couple of those kirk frames are awesome. I saw one of Ron Keifels old team bikes in his shop in Denver and got inspired by the retro look. pics to follow once the beast arrives.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Helianthus annuus

Is that a threaded stem? If so, you are my hero 'cause then it would look like a 7-11 bike and it would ride just as nicely as a threadless.

curmudgeons are us,

dbrk
Old 02-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Todd Owen

Is there any other kind of steel fork other than threaded? haha I did bite the bullet (not the silver kind) and purchased the steel fork... threaded....and 1 inch head tube. I believe it cost me one arm and 1/2 half a leg but relative to the fine the FCC will put on CBS for the half time show...It was a bargain. I thought of Dr Brooks and Dnovo when purchasing and outfitting this steed...... classics.... and it for me is what a bike should look like. the new cycle sport has a great section on belgian riders and shows many older bikes.... my era. viva la steel (columbus I believe) I am also having Mr 7-11 himself Ron Keifel sign the frame. maybe that will help me up a hill or two! My wife actually helped pay for this frame and it only cost me a pair of diamond earings, and new set of cookwear, and a right hand ring. so my total cost would have purchased a new custom bike from Orange County choppers. I wonder if Ben and the crew fight like Paul and Paul Jr.?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:16 PM
needs adult supervision

how much differently do a CSi and a CIII ride?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Helianthus annuus

Even if we concede the very -minor- differences that -might- be present in the butting of the tubing btwn the CIII and CSi, I will GIVE you any bike I own if it can be proven there is a difference in the ride between the two bikes, all other matters being the same. The method of joining the tubes in this particular case will have ZERO effect on the ride. I would not presume to speak for the great ones but no less than RS, Mike Barry, and other builders would concur.

Todd: did you get the TdF lugs?

NICE GOING on the threaded fork there, pal!!! You are my hero. No kidding.

dbrk
Old 02-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Todd Owen

I have owned both and if you were to have a 1 inch head tube on the CIII as I did and a steel serotta fork, the ride would be so close you wouldn't notice. I chose the CSi due to 1) lugs 2) lugs and 3) 1 inch head tube NO extension and threaded fork option. I am not sure of the availability of a 1 inch headtube on a Ciii but you could maybe just beg. I am also a steel fork freak so a carbon 1 1/8 fork just seems wrong. The ride is basically the same.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:28 PM
needs adult supervision

holy moly, douglas. do i wish i could take you up on your offer/challenge. could i lie just to win?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Todd Owen

I did not get the TdF lugs although beautiful...I know you have them on your CSi and they are awesome. I just went with the regular lugs. Your comments on the CIII are mirrored in my post and I will throw in roll of cinelli orange tape ( for a colnago that never materialized) if you can convince me the ride is any different.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:42 PM
needs adult supervision

so, for $700 more, one gets, ah, lugs? okey dokey.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Todd Owen

Either you grew up with lugged frames and sewups, blades and Persimmon woods, bamboo fly rods, and V-8 muscle cars or you didn't. (sounds like a J. Peterman catalogue) To me a lugged steel frame with steel threaded fork , a set of Ben Hogan blades ,a Winston bamboo rod , and a 1970 ish chevelle 396 or 454 is my idea of fun. The nice thing is the choice is still there.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
needs adult supervision

i totally agree that lugs are beautiful and can add much to a frame's eye appeal. its just that $700 is quite a difference (half again as costly). so lugs don't offer a different dynamic to the way the tubes interact? the difference in joining process really doesn't impact ride?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

I have a soft spot for old school, you have to go for the lugs. Its a great look. That is why I chose a CSI to back up my Ottrott. The CSI is "only" eight weeks away.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman