Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 AM

Loose handlebars

During the last few rides, the bolts on the stem's faceplate are not holding the handlebars in place. This morning I discovered that, while the bolts are as tight as possible, the handlebars move fairly easily. I'm assuming this means I need to replace the bolts. I was wondering if there are other problems that may cause a more expensive fix. The bike has about 14,000 miles on it.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM

have you torqued the bolts to manufacturuer's specification? if so i would remove the plate and clean the bar and stem where they make contact real well and then reassemble. what i do is apply a little lithium grease to the threads of each bolt before tightening. i find that this gives a truer torque reading. also check the face plate for any stress or cracking. hope this helps. good luck.

Last edited by alancw3; 05-19-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 AM
More Cowbell!

One of the gurus here David Kirk introduced me to carbon paste. Put them on your bars - clamp - wipe. Clamping force goes down. You don't even need carbon bars to use carbon paste.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie7
During the last few rides, the bolts on the stem's faceplate are not holding the handlebars in place. This morning I discovered that, while the bolts are as tight as possible, the handlebars move fairly easily.
There is something wrong with the stem, the bars or both. If you like your face, you should either figure out what's wrong, or bring the bike to a shop and have them figure out what's wrong and have it fixed before riding again. If you don't like your face and you think slamming it into the pavement would do some good, just tighten the bolts.

Sorry, no way to sugar coat it and there's no point in being subtle, front end failures cause real damage, if there's anything about the front end of the bike that's going to fail, it's time to stop riding the bike and have it fixed.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your face - I know how some people read things into what I write...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs
There is something wrong with the stem, the bars or both. If you like your face, you should either figure out what's wrong, or bring the bike to a shop and have them figure out what's wrong and have it fixed before riding again. If you don't like your face and you think slamming it into the pavement would do some good, just tighten the bolts.

Sorry, no way to sugar coat it and there's no point in being subtle, front end failures cause real damage, if there's anything about the front end of the bike that's going to fail, it's time to stop riding the bike and have it fixed.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your face - I know how some people read things into what I write...
I agree. To the OP, is the gap between the face plate and stem zero? I suspect the handlebars where the stem lives is crushed and so no longer is held tight. Or perhaps the face plate is cracked but don't ride like this, what Ti designs says is true.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs

+1. Something is clearly not as it should be. Don't mess around with this.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM

What is the manufacturer for the stem and bars? I had lots of problems with Ritchey 4-axis stem bolts; they always came lose even torqued with the Ritchey key.

Carbon paste is awesome but as someone said above, I would be very cautious about using a paste to fix what is perhaps a bigger problem. The most expensive thing the OP would occur would be medical bills and nothing to do with the bike.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 AM

14K?

Introduce the bars and stem to the trash can.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator

agree to check the parts.

if you're worried about cost, a good set of bars and stem can be had for under $100, brand new.

that's likely cheaper than diagnosing whatever you're experiencing now, definitely if you wind up taking it to a shop.