Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2005, 09:24 PM

What would you do ?

Hi everyone. I have this nice blue Atlanta that I have been riding for the last 8 years. I know it is not the top end Serotta but it fits me great and the frame is in great shape. The problem is that some of the Ultegra components have started to show a little rust. Mainly the brakes and screws in the front and rear derailleurs. I would like to upgrade the whole thing to Ultegra 10 speed. My LBS (who has a great mechanic) has told me the price would be about 1200 (includes a wheel). Am I crazy to invest this kind of money in this bike? I am thinking for a little more I could get something new or should I simply replace the brakes and keep using it. It makes me want to puke everytime I see rust on my Serotta. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 PM

polish the rust off and keep enjoying the bike
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 PM
commuter racer

Get new parts!

I had old Ultegra 8 speed on my atlanta for two years then I upgraded to Campy Chorus 10 speed with new wheels and it felt like a new bike. Everything was so tight. The wheels made a big difference, as did the new shifters and brakes.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 PM

That is a toughie...

If you really love the bike....I would do it.

I have a Davidson tandem on it's 4th set of components and second paint job. Yeah, its a 1985 and I still haven't found a tandem I love better than this one (and I have tried 7 or 8 others in the last 10 years). So, to me, every upgrade in components over the years has been well worth it.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Yeah, What they said...

If you like the frame, go for the upgrade. Like shino & Vax said, It's going to feel like a whole new ride.

William
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 AM

I'd switch to Campy..

Shimano 10 groups are overpriced right now. Campy offers a better value for the money. Try the shifters first, though. That's where the major difference is. I switched to campy in 1995 and wouldn't consider a shimano group for any of my bikes. I like the operation of the ergo levers much better. Now that I use triple cranks for the mountains, the ergo levers are better still.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:41 AM

Put her on the hoist...

and upgrade her.

Hold onto the old parts and take some time in cleaning them up and possibly find a banger frame to use them on. Results...

2 bikes!
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 03-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Windrider

Upgrade it..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder
Hi everyone. I have this nice blue Atlanta that I have been riding for the last 8 years. I know it is not the top end Serotta but it fits me great and the frame is in great shape. The problem is that some of the Ultegra components have started to show a little rust. Mainly the brakes and screws in the front and rear derailleurs. I would like to upgrade the whole thing to Ultegra 10 speed. My LBS (who has a great mechanic) has told me the price would be about 1200 (includes a wheel). Am I crazy to invest this kind of money in this bike? I am thinking for a little more I could get something new or should I simply replace the brakes and keep using it. It makes me want to puke everytime I see rust on my Serotta. Thanks for any advice.
You can always move it to a new frame if you ever get one.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 03-29-2005, 11:24 AM

1200 bucks and it includes A wheel. For Ultegra!

Go mailorder or whatever and assemble it yourself.

or

use elbow grease and clean the rust.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:27 AM
bikedadjc

Buy Ultegra 10 or Dura-Ace 10 from E-bay or totalcycling

You can Buy Ultegra 10 groups off of e-bay, or Dura-ace 10 groups for a great price. Then you can get a wheel built at a local dealer, or excelsports or colorado cyclist. Good luck!