Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 PM

"stock" frames with couplings

just trying something out here.
what framesets are out there that are purpose built for travel cases?
i know of the ritchey break-away frame, and that's about it.
i mean the regular type frames that break down for travel, not the mini bikes that fold up.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM

surly travellers check

http://surlybikes.com/frames/travelers_check_frame/
Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

Co-Motion makes a nice one... as can Kirk, Bedford, Strong, Wages, Spectrum, Goodrich
Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM

I have a Moots and I love it
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Bike Fitter

Co-Motion probably sells more s&s coupler bikes than all others combined including tandems. Search out the Co-Mo website for really nice bikes and custom on Co-Mo's add only $450 or $500 if I recall correctly. I have fitted a few good clients on Co-Mo's including our three tandems the last is the Co-Pilot Torpedo.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 PM

I just read an article that said Co-Motion is the largest customer of S & S Machine Works and is one of the largest manufactures of full size travel bicycles. The article also said that Co-Motion makes forks for several other manufactures which surprised me.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 PM

the thing with high performance folding bikes is that the size of the case was designed around the dimensions allowed for standard luggage. But many domestic airlines have since reduced their dimensions for standard luggage. The minimum size of the case is pretty much based on the 700c wheels. once the frame come apart and the fork comes out, these just don't take up much space.

here is a high performance bike that is designed around a 24" wheel: http://www.airnimal.eu/Reference/FAQCham.php

the thing about a 24" wheel is that your choice of tires are limited.

With that said, many international airlines still accepts the size of the larger cases as standard luggage. the ritchey case measures 26.5x29x9; 64.5, southwest, delta and united allows 62".

other options include bike friday, but other than that, I don't know of any that will ride like a full size bike.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 AM

There are a number of high performance bicycles designed around the 20" wheel, including many Bike Friday models and of course the Alex Moulton bikes.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Bilenky has a whole line of spec frames with S&S couplers. They also do a ton of retrofits. I was in a couple of weeks ago and they had a whole line of frames in the queue for retrofitting with couplers. So if you have a frame you like and you're not too squeamish about having it cut up, that's a good deal less expensive than a new frame. Or, if you're ordering a new custom frame, many custom builders will build with couplers up front for an upcharge.

-Ray
Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 AM

think you said non-folding

but you can be a real rider on even smaller wheels. on my AZ tour two weeks ago, I rode next to a woman on a Speeding Tikit with 16" wheels. in her hands, it seemed to be going 20mph right next to me. the wheels do more rpms, but with the right gearing your legs do the normal rpms.

http://community.bikefriday.com/tikit/robspinkone

Last edited by eddief; 03-22-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
but you can be a real rider on even smaller wheels. on my AZ tour two weeks ago, I rode next to a woman on a Speeding Tikit. in her hands, it seemed to going 20mph right next to me. the wheels do more rpms, but with the right gearing your legs do the normal rpms.

"At the 12th HPV Speed Championship in Vancouver in August 1986, Jim Glover rode a fully faired Moulton to set a new record at 51.29mph (82.53kph), which has yet to be beaten. Nearly 100 HPVs took part, but only a dozen or so were able to exceed 50 mph (80.45 kph)." (And that was on a 17" wheel.)
--http://members.localnet.com/~milliken/liner/
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider
the thing with high performance folding bikes is that the size of the case was designed around the dimensions allowed for standard luggage. But many domestic airlines have since reduced their dimensions for standard luggage. The minimum size of the case is pretty much based on the 700c wheels. once the frame come apart and the fork comes out, these just don't take up much space.

here is a high performance bike that is designed around a 24" wheel: http://www.airnimal.eu/Reference/FAQCham.php

the thing about a 24" wheel is that your choice of tires are limited.

With that said, many international airlines still accepts the size of the larger cases as standard luggage. the ritchey case measures 26.5x29x9; 64.5, southwest, delta and united allows 62".

other options include bike friday, but other than that, I don't know of any that will ride like a full size bike.
knock on wood but I haven't been dinged with my full travel case domestically.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
but you can be a real rider on even smaller wheels. on my AZ tour two weeks ago, I rode next to a woman on a Speeding Tikit with 16" wheels. in her hands, it seemed to be going 20mph right next to me. the wheels do more rpms, but with the right gearing your legs do the normal rpms.

I have a BF Speeding Tikit-I think I am a real rider. The breakdown and build are super fast and the fold is unreal. Mine rides great.

As far as stock frames with couplers, Bilenky, Surley and Co-Motion are the 3 that come to mind.
There is also the Ritchey Breakaway and I think Curtlo or Desalvo builds with the Breakaway coupling sytem.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Shmoozer

I'm pretty sure Serotta and many other custom builders
will put S&S couplers
on their frames too.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM

thanks for the input.
i don't travel as much as some, at most, once a year.
so i don't want to invest too much into this, hence the attraction of the ready-made ritchey which comes with the case. if at all possible, i'd just rent when i'm away and feel like riding.
really, i just want to be able to ride this summer when i'm in asia for a couple weeks.

as an alternative, are there places to rent these travel bikes?