Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2010, 03:54 PM
ZhugeLiang

The “Taylor” Custom Experience - A Dream Coming True

Like most things in life, the hardest part is waiting....I don't know how you pals live through these "perilous" times but admittedly I am not doing so well over here. I am waiting for my first-ever custom Taylor frame to be delivered sometime in late April/early May. That's about 14-15 weeks out from the day I completed the paperwork and sent in the deposit which really isn’t all that bad compared to some of the outrageous numbers that get thrown out there with the more venerable framebuilders...2, 3, even up to 4 years. “Are you crazy?!” That would be my immediate response. I know I know…some things in life are worth waiting for and people can justify the long wait with many valid reasons. I just don’t think I can wait that long. Oh well…back to this unexplainable inner excitement that is boiling over, I can’t suppress it, I feel like a kid all over again. I am beginning to dream dreams. Surely, that's a sign.

I try to get ahead by thinking about my build. I just spent 45 minutes in the basement thinking about and gathering the parts that I want to use. It's going to be a sensible build, I told myself, nothing wild, nothing impractical, nothing insanely expensive.
Here they are:

Wheels: Open Pro - DT Swiss, Ultegra hub – it’s funny, this is probably the oldest set of wheels sitting in my garage that get used the least but it’s been tested and sworn by many generations of racers, riders alike. It’s still as straight and true as Day 1.

Tires: Maxxis Detonator 700x23c Black/White – someone asks about white tires in a recent thread, this came up. I checked them out and I like em’, I think they would go well with the white frame, wait a minute, I am giving it away…shhhhh. The cheapest I have found is ebikeshop with matching prices to PricePoint.

Shimano 9-speed Drivetrain - because I already got most of the parts, and they work beautifully, I am not gonna spend more money doing any upgrades at this point.

Ultegra 9-speed Double Shifters Flight Deck-compatible - these are RARE especially BRAND NEW. I have saved em’ up especially for “a time such as this.”
The rest are just the normal stuff…
Dura-Ace 7702 Double Crankset 170mm
Dura-Ace Front Deraileur
Ultegra 9-speed Rear Deraileur…if I am using 11-28 or 11-30 cassette. Recently, I have switched over to Shimano XT 11-34 9-speed cassette.

I know they are HUGE…as big as a wheel…but it seems like it’s the only way I can make it up the "Hills in the West" these days. It allows me to use more of my “internal engine” rather than whatever meager power my poor, broken back can muster….maybe the euphoria of a new bike will miraculously add an extra gear or two, then I won't need em' anymore! In which case, watch out for a couple of XT 11-34 cassettes being put out in the block for sale in a couple of months

Chris King threadless headset SILVER

– this is probably the most LUXURIOUS item I am splurging for this build. We can hardly get anyone to agree on anything in today’s pluralistic culture but everyone seems to agree that this is THE headset that will last forever….eternity is a good measure for performance.

Seatpost: Thompson Elite silver 27.2
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Gel WHITE
Stem: Ritchey Pro
HandleBar: Ritchey Pro

But HONESTLY...I am drooling over these Ritchey Wet White tools, what do you guys think?

PS. Because of the number of pictures I can include in one post, I am actually going to break this up into several posts...
Old 01-30-2010, 03:57 PM
ZhugeLiang

Ah, yes, handlebar tape...

Handlebar Tape: WHITE for sure but nothing under the sun works better than AHNEIDA-PAL’s HANDLEBRA SPECTACULAR. I am going to order a set from him that would be their "WHITEST-EVER" SPECIAL!!!
Urr, this is blinding my eyes…

Okay kay…a few more “extranenous” items and we’ll be through.

Shimano Flight Deck CycloComputer – I have come to appreciate the simplicity and the trustworthiness of these flightdeck corn-counters. They work well with the shifters. I like to know if I still have an extra gear or two left at the MOST strenuous part of the climb….insert smiley face

Bottle Cages: Dimension Button Cage Silver. These are cheap and it matches the color….more about the color later.

Water Bottles: I am going to use what I already have….don’t laugh….”pinky” camelback 21 oz podium bottles and by the way, they are selling for 5 friggin’ FRDs at Sierra Trading . It’s a killer deal if you ask me, the sale ends on 2/1.

Pedals: Shimano Ultegra PD6610 SPD-SL.

Switched over from Speedplay X-2s two years ago under Andy Pruitt’s recommendation, he says “this provides better stability for your whacked back and hips.” Well, he didn’t exactly put it in those terms…but hey, who am I to argue with the doc, right? He has probably seen more cyclists in his office over the years than all of us added together on this forum…

Did I miss anything?

Oh mine…it took me a while to get this all typed up and pictures pasted on, but it can only go so far with prolonging the pain…of waiting.

I will come back periodically to update on progress but what I want to do last is to drop a hint or two as far as what the new frame will look like. These are some pictures I have collected over time for the odd chance that one day I may actually fulfill the dream of getting a custom frame. If you happen to be the lucky owner of the frame/bike shown here, I want to thank you for inspiring me with your ideas.

I’m Loving It #1

I’m Loving It #2

I’m Loving It #3

more to come…
Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
ZhugeLiang

Very Last...

I’m Loving It #4

I’m Loving It #5

And lastly, the bike that started it all…Dave Thompson’s White Sucker…er, I mean, White Knight. I mean, really, I basically told Paul I want a Dave's Thompson Junior if you know what I mean...
I’m Loving It #6
Old 01-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan
Dura-Ace 7702 Double Crankset 170mm
Dura-Ace Front Deraileur
Ultegra 9-speed Rear Deraileur…if I am using 11-28 or 11-30 cassette
Hmmm, this should be interesting.

Weisan, did you hear that my subdivision longer allows people to park at the bottom of the hill? You're going to have to ride up !!!!!!! (just kidding)

Congratulations, I look forward to seeing the new bike this spring.

Louis
Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Bike Fitter

Word of advice Mr Weisan, a custom frame is only as good as the fit measurements given the builder, please see a good fitter and get it nailed right. Trusting formulas could be a disaster and don't judge your fit off an old bike that feels good. A independant eye will make your new custom that much more enjoyable. Good luck. Smiley

I should know what I speak of
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

Louis-pal, actually I don't mind riding up that monster hill of yours to get to your house so much these days as coming down at 45-50mph, the sub-zero wind chill alone will kill us even if the hill doesn't. Anyhooo...let's keep this kinda quiet among our inner-circle friends living in this parts (StL), I want to surprise them.

smiley-pal, I appreciate your kind concern. These are the things that keep me up in the nights. And after having the privilege of seeing so many different "custom" bikes that appear on this forum over the years, I think I have a fairly good idea of the desired end result I am going after...and the kind of monstrosity that i certainly want to avoid like bee's nest. All these, Paul and I have been talking about almost non-stop, plus the many feedback/inputs I have been getting from a selected group of knowledgeable pals on this forum. Again, your advice is spot on, I am on top of it, have no worries, it will work out.

Last edited by weisan; 01-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Savor it.

Anticipation of something you desire is really under-rated.

Congrats, weisan-pal!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Handle what ?

I don't trust that guy ... I ordered some FRN green ..

He just sent me a nonredeemable note that said One FRN Green Wrap.

How about Mint HHB for #4 ?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Congrats Weisan.

For as much enjoyment as you get out of your bikes, and as many used bikes you have owned and ridden, it's about time you got to enjoy everything that goes along with a custom bike.

Ride safe.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 AM

$1300!

That deal is sooo tempting! Anyone know if that includes a fork?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 AM

Agreed! Enjoy it!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks Tom-pal. Your sleek-looking Taylor with those beautiful lugs makes me even more impatient knowing the kind of high-quality work Paul is capable of.

Ray-pal, I don't see what I want on your current product lineup. Maybe we should "co-design" one and let's call it "the bright morning star"

Bruce-pal, you are right, if I know what I know now, I should have done it five years ago.

Jim-pal, yes, it includes the fork...of course. The fork and the frame work as a unit. Call Paul Taylor for more info.

Deko-pal, when I get the new bike, let's go for a ride sometime.

Dave-Thompson should be back from Cabo by now, I would be calling you pal....
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Congrats Weisan-pal!!

I can't wait to see the build up!! Now, if you're going to duplicate Dave Thompson's Taylor you need to add something very special that only Mr. T can seem to find.....

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weisan-pal.jpg (137.5 KB, 301 views)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM

Get The Custom Fitting

Weisan:

+1 with Smiley's recommendation of a custom fitted bike. While you sound really confident and have been riding for years I would agree that a custom bike fitting would be in order before any custom bike order and purchase. For an extra $100-150 you can have the peace of mind to know what you are getting will work exactly with your body geometry.

Talking with Paul is great for dialing in ride characteristics, etc. but getting the bike to fit 100% correctly requires a talented and trained bike fitter.

Otherwise, good luck with the build and bike.

Bob
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
You still here?

Weisan-friend, you are having entirely too much fun!