Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Only Contador remains from Astana's 2009 TdF roster.

Here's the 2009 Astana rider's list from the TdF. All riders below Contador's name are now signed with Radio Shack:

CONTADOR Alberto
ARMSTRONG Lance
KLÖDEN Andréas
LEIPHEIMER Levi
MURAVYEV Dmitriy
PAULINHO Sergio
POPOVYCH Yaroslav
RAST Gregory
ZUBELDIA Haimar

In addition to these guys, Radio Shack has signed other top Astana riders like Jose Luis Ribiera, Chris Horner, and Jani Brajkovic. The Shack has picked up Gert Steegmans, formerly of Katusha. This is an exceptionally strong team, and to paraphrase what Lance said in his spat with Contador, "without a team, you don't win." Alberto will have to vie with Vinokourov over leadership at Astana. I cannot imagine either one consenting to support the other.

With a team like this and with another year of training under his belt, Lance might reasonably be considered the odds-on favorite to win the tour in 2010.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
cmg

lance may not win but neither will contrador. Armstrong and bruyneel are the best at what they do.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM

I think Contador will still win.
There is no team time trial (I think). So Contador needs a team strong enough to pace/protect him on the flat stages and deliver water to him. He is strong enough on his own to hang on to any of the leaders in the mountains.
My .02
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Classics Fan

I tend to agree with "oldguy" that Contador is pretty damn strong by himself. Not sure if I would go so far as to say that he could win on his own without a team in the mountains, but it would be fun to watch him try.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00
He is strong enough on his own to hang on to any of the leaders in the mountains.
Any one of them, probably. All of them, no. He can't cover every attack in the mountains.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster
Any one of them, probably. All of them, no. He can't cover every attack in the mountains.
Covering all the attacks basically just means he continually goes with the fastest rider off the front.
I know its easier said than done, but I don't think his challengers are strong enough to actually crack him in the mountains. Even if they take turns attacking, they'll basically increase the overall pace, but I doubt any of them will get away from him.
That of course is assuming he has the same form he had in July.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Far be it for me to disagree with Dopestrong, but I think some riders can win without a team and some can't. Cadel is a case in point - with a stronger team, he probably would have won in '08, maybe even '07. I don't much like Cadel but he has definitely been screwed in the team department. In the absence of a TTT, I think Contador could definitely win without a team or without a strong team. I thought at least a few riders would stay with him at Astana, but it seems as if the money spoke to them too loudly.

However, the Astana deal isn't sealed yet. See: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/asta...tra-guarantees.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Roger wilco

Don't forget they won't have radios next year either. To me that's going to make having a team that can cover the breaks, or bring them back (and possibly from a long way out) as needed even more important.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlaug
Don't forget they won't have radios next year either. To me that's going to make having a team that can cover the breaks, or bring them back (and possibly from a long way out) as needed even more important.

Sounds mega interesting.

TFT
Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 PM

i think phil liggett stated several tmes at the conclusion of the 2009 tdf that contador could have won w/o a team to support him. so he may be able to win the 2010 w/o team support.

Last edited by alancw3; 11-24-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM

No TTT hurts LA

He finished 40 seconds in front of Frank Schleck in the overall, the same 40 seconds Astana put into Saxo Bank in the TTT. "Could" have been a deadheat for 3d on the podium w/o the TTT. Armstrong and his ilk are not getting any younger so he'll finish no better than 3rd behind AC and Andy again. As Paul Sherwen likes to say, "the climbing legs are the first to go" as a cyclist gets older. Too bad Klodi doesn't try to win to find a team leader job instead of working for LA.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySmooth
Too bad Klodi doesn't try to win to find a team leader job instead of working for LA.
What surprises me even more about Kloden is his apparent loyalty to Armstrong in light of Armstrong chasing him down for the victory into Le Grand Bornand in 2004. Then again, given the $$ that is likely involved, I guess no real shocker.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
slow, but working on it.

Contador could still win on his own he so good, but as good as he is, there's no way he could cover every attack in the mountains. It would probably take a few stages in Contador's case to soften him up enough for someone on a stronger team to exploit it. It's going to be FUN to watch.

Who is the new Astana DS going to be?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymossville
Contador could still win on his own he so good, but as good as he is, there's no way he could cover every attack in the mountains. It would probably take a few stages in Contador's case to soften him up enough for someone on a stronger team to exploit it. It's going to be FUN to watch.

Who is the new Astana DS going to be?
He only has to cover the attacks of the people who can win. That said, it's hard to win without a team.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Contador sure looks strong... I wouldn't count him out.