Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Hernia...Just Before Six Gap

Just came back from the Docs office. Seems I have a small hernia and I see the surgeon on Thursday. However, they "think" he will advise surgery while it is still small. Problem is...I've been training a LOT getting ready for the Six Gap ride in two weeks.

Should I try to ride anyway and get the surgeon's approval? I have virtually no pain at the present and the thought of losing all my conditioning and missing the ride will be a MAJOR drag.

Arrrghh!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Evil Genius

You rest, just give me the benefits of your training.

Think you can get them here before next Thursday?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Classics Fan

Join the hernia club. I have TWO and saw the surgeon a few weeks ago. He said mine wasn't critical... and that he didn't see a reason why I couldn't wait until winter.

In other news, you may benefit some from tapering before your ride... just sayin'.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:08 PM

What kind of hernia?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog
What kind of hernia?
Dr. wasn't quite sure but said the surgeon will be able to make that determination. I'm going to ask a LOT of questions...sure hope the surgeon is open to that.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM

Maybe I should say where is the hernia?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Hernia Threat Drift

Do the Six Gap. I've been riding with an hernia for my entire road cycling career. I plan to get it fixed this winter. Drift: any recommendations for surgeons in New Jersey?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
50 bpm

That sucks.

If you can't ride, I'll suck on Hogpen for you.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:19 AM

Good news and bad news. Dr. says I can ride if it doesn't bother me. Bad news I don't have one hernia, I have two....and the discomfort is starting to increase slightly.

So..I'm going to keep riding this week (but not too many hills) and then ride 3 Gap. Then...schedule the operation. It looks like with a double and laproscopic surgery that I will still be off the bike for the better part of a month... but such is life.

Hope you guys have a good ride. I'll keep an eye out for Serottas.

Steve
Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Classics Fan

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, I was there about a month ago. During my exam, the dr. probed me so hard, I got light headed and had to sit down.

I have two also, but they are both pretty small and aren't causing any discomfort.

What are your thoughts on the procedure? I've been going back and forth on which procedure is best. I'm a bit concerned about a mesh implanted in my body. I'm only 30 now, and wonder how well this mesh will hold up over 50-60 more years if I have the opportunity to live that long.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Mr. Angry

i've gone thru 3 surgeries for the same hernia. mine was a lower inguinal hernia. one thing to make sure on is how are they going to repair it, either by patch or plug. but depending on how bad it is will determine that. if it can go either way go for the plug. another thing is to ask how he will stitch it. trust me on this one.... make sure he'll stitch it all around the patch, like a baseball stitch. my first 2 were done by one doc and i had a different guy for the 3rd. the second doc stitched it all around which he said was the best way to ensure it stays intact. guess the other guy only did it on the corners and in the middle of each side. that helped to cause it to fail. i would stress that you tell your surgeon to stitch it all around that way you only go thru it once. good luck!!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, I was there about a month ago. During my exam, the dr. probed me so hard, I got light headed and had to sit down.

I have two also, but they are both pretty small and aren't causing any discomfort.

What are your thoughts on the procedure? I've been going back and forth on which procedure is best. I'm a bit concerned about a mesh implanted in my body. I'm only 30 now, and wonder how well this mesh will hold up over 50-60 more years if I have the opportunity to live that long.
100,000 years from now when they open your coffin there will be dust, and a little square of mesh.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM

Hey Guys,
Resurrecting this thread because I finally had the surgery and a couple of you emailed me to ask how I was doing.

After a LOT of research on the internet, visiting my surgeon twice to get his his thoughts and opinions and then visiting another surgeon in my church for his opinion....I had it done exactly two weeks ago. I had a double inguinal hernia. It wasn't terribly bad but the discomfort was slowly increasing as time went on. The surgeon did it laproscopically and I went home the same day.

The first day wasn't bad and I slept a lot. The second day felt better, in fact so good that I decided to not take the pain meds later in the afternoon. That was a bad mistake and I paid for it through the night. Each day got progressively better and the only surprising thing was that for the first four days if I stretched or reached to one side too much I would get a real bad pain and burning sensation. It felt as if it may have the tissue pulling away from the screen they use, but I'm not sure. But it hurt!

Today I can still feel pain if I push on three different spots but overall I'd say I am at ninety percent. I had my post-op visit yesterday and the surgeon said I could start doing some easy stuff, including riding, but he would prefer if I really held off for another week. Even though I'm gaining some weight I see no reason to push it at this point and at my age (60) I'd rather make sure this heals completely as opposed to rushing into a freezing bike ride and maybe doing some damage.

So...overall, the pain and discomfort wasn't really too bad after the first couple of days and I'm on the mend. Thanks to those of you who thought to ask and my best to those of you who may face this down the road.

Steve
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Glad things went well hawker, absolutely listen to your surgeon, trying to go too fast can make your overall recovery slower and last longer. Good luck
Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Classics Fan

Glad it went well!

Did the surgeon say anything about stretching? IIRC, BBD also talked about that pulling sensation in some hernia thread a while ago (I pay attention to these things since I too will need surgery at some point).

I wonder if there is a consensus of whether it is better to maintain a small range of motion to avoid tearing early on versus trying to have a larger range of motion early (possibly at the risk of slowing scar tissue or poor bio-integration).

In any case, listen to your doc and take it easy. No need to rush back into anything until you are 100%.