Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Small SUVs or Wagons that accomodate upright Bikes

I'm in the market for a new vehicle, having discovered last weekend that the frame on my 99 Tacoma is rotted through. I've done some searches with inconclusive results - there are lots of postings regarding liftbacks and wagons into which bikes will fit (one post about getting a bike into the Porsche 911), and various postings regarding non 4WD vehicles that'll accomodate upright bikes.

My question is a little more specific - I'm looking for an 4WD (or AWD) vehicle with an interior that'll accomodate a 57 cm road bike in the UPRIGHT position with the front wheel removed. Intent would be able to put at least 2 bikes side by side. The ideal car for me would be 4WD (or AWD), good on gas, and as small as possible while accomodating the bikes. Current contenders are the Acura MDX, Toyota V6 RAV4, Subaru Forester, and Ford Escape, but I haven't test drove or tried bikes in them.

If you've got such a vehicle, or have seen one with upright bikes inside, could you do me the favor of advising regarding model and, if known, year?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Check out a Honda Fit
Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1221
Check out a Honda Fit
The Fit's not four or all wheel drive. The Element is, though - that should be on the list.

-Ray
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Subaru Forester

We have a 2002 Forester and it is great. The 02 is appears larger inside then the newer ones, but I would suggest taking your bike to the dealer. I fit my bike no problem, and my wife is a wood worker and fits an 7' board inside at angle, we even carry bags of concreate for our deck project. The foresters love the snow too.

John
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Engine problems

4 Door 2005 and later Toyota Tacoma. Its a really nice 5 pax car with a pickup bed in back. Bolt two fork mounts onto a 2x6 and wahlah!!!-- instant bed bike rack. You probably want a bed topper to complete it...

I owned a 4Runner for 16 years and spent a lot more time wishing I had a pickup than being happy I had an SUV. The only other potential option for upright bikes would be a minivan, buit they're not 4wd...

My $.02, Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 PM

I think BMW X3 has a rack that works just this way.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdriver
4 Door 2005 and later Toyota Tacoma...I owned a 4Runner for 16 years and spent a lot more time wishing I had a pickup than being happy I had an SUV
Thanks. That's too funny - I'm in my 10th year as a Tacoma Ext Cab owner - with dropout mounts installed on the bed as you've suggested. There were so many times that my steel bikes got drenched while clamped in the bed, or I had to lock my skis in the cab when I thought, "$%^&*, next time it'll be an SUV!!!" :-)
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khjr
I'm in the market for a new vehicle, having discovered last weekend that the frame on my 99 Tacoma is rotted through. Thanks!
Khjr,

Wow, do you drive directly in the Ocean; its a car NOT a submarine? How does one completely rot through a truck frame in 10 years? I would let Toyota know they owe you a new truck frame. The next rig you get I would recommend washing the undercarriage a bit more often or apply some frame saver.

Satellite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41tXSfiCk-L__SL500_AA280_.jpg (10.7 KB, 448 views)

Last edited by Satellite; 05-01-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
The Fit's not four or all wheel drive. The Element is, though - that should be on the list.

-Ray
My neighbor has an Element - it fits 2 bikes upright without removing rear wheels. 56 and 54 cm frames, but a 58 or larger would be no problem. You can actually fit one bike without removing wheel, another with the front off, and all of this without removing any seats.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Minivans may not be sexy, but they are awesome for bikes. And kids...dogs...groceries...the family...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM

First is Toyota making good on the frame?

Second you can thank a crappy US big 3 supplier who lied to Toyota and now does not have the money to make good on our warranty claim back to them so Toyota is eating the cost - Thanks Dana!

Third - check out the Toyota Venza - it is available in AWD
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 PM

I have a Honda Element and it is a bike hauling machine. Every time a friend sees me just roll my bike out and not have to put a wheel in or anything they are jealous. Fun vehicle too; I have an SC which is not avail. in awd though.. Has been Honda solid of course.. Neighbor has one and loves it as well. Certainly should be on the list of vehicles to check out..

Good luck,

Scott
Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

A good vehicle to consider is the unique Honda Ridgeline as well.
It gets consistently solid ratings and I came close to purchasing one.

Huge image of bike inside vehicle: http://myridgeline.com/wp-content/ga...pict1442_0.jpg
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite
Khjr,

Wow, do you drive directly in the Ocean; its a car NOT a submarine? How does one completely rot through a truck frame in 10 years? I would let Toyota know they owe you a new truck frame. The next rig you get I would recommend washing the undercarriage a bit more often or apply some frame saver.

Satellite
Toyota has had problems with rotting frames on Tacoma's, like this '99 ... bad enough that they were buying back certain years, I think '95-2000 Tacomas. I know someone personally who got the notice, had his Tacoma checked out and it was cracked due to rust, so Toyota bought it back from them.

I know my road & mountain bikes fit upright in my Vibe, though their small frames. Road frames are 50 cm, so I'm not sure if a 57 cm will fit. However, talking rust, my rear hatch is beginning to rust and my car is an '05 (and I've seen others complain of rusting hatches on their Vibes/Matrixes), so I would buy another vehicle from Toyota/GMs Nummi plant (which is where both Tacomas & Vibes/Matrixes originate).
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick
Minivans may not be sexy, but they are awesome for bikes. And kids...dogs...groceries...the family...
I've found that chicks dig mini-vans.