Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Riding in cold affecting ability to talk normally?

Does anyone experience a change in normal speech when riding in cold weather? If so, when does it happen? And for that matter, what causes it?

Have you tried talking to find your mouth feeling numb or tight and having the words come out as if you had just left the dentist after receiving anesthesia? If this happens to you, how do you prevent it?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Yup. If I've been out on a long, cold ride I slur my speech as if I'm drunk. (At least I feel like that's what I'm doing, don't know what it really sounds like.)
Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Byron

+ another here. I just spoke to my buddies about this over the weekend.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
bonhomie

From long days in the woods-sure. Hours and hours without speaking and chilled facial muscles. simple.

I don't ride sub-freezing that much, but would expect the same effect.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Everything is connected

Believe it or not, it's an early symptom of hypothermia.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 PM
05Fierte TI

rwsaunders is right, it is the early phase of hypothermia. In kayaking we use the speech test all the time to test out how others are doing. You usually do not know the effects yourself yet but others can tell. Next you start to loose the fine motor coordination like undoing a zipper or opening your car door with the key. At that point, it is starting to become more serious and is very easy to get there.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Agreed that it's a condition that has definitely been observed during chilly winter rides.
If we notice fellow riders in our crew starting with slurred speech, we know it's about time for a quick coffee/tea stop.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM

It is easy to slip into hypothermia and not even realize it. Been there, done that.

Wear layers - use a baclava too.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Been there too. Second 'real' race of my young career back in 1990. Got sleeted on. Couldn't feel my legs. Came in dead last and drooling on a 40 mile road race in early March. Ate like a horse at the after-meal.

Mike in AR
Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Take it from a Montanan - happens all the time.

Dave
Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. Being from the south it’s something I don’t encounter on a regular basis; but it sounds like it’s nothing to worry about. Based on feedback I should just dress warmer.

I’ve been riding in the Texas Hill Country all week and on last Saturday’s ride the temperature didn’t go into the high 50s as predicted (stayed in the 40s instead), so half way through the long ride I found myself a little cooler than I prefer.

My only concern was that it wasn’t happening to other riders. Maybe the combination of not being dressed warm enough and not being acclimated to cold weather made it affect me more so.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS
Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. Being from the south it’s something I don’t encounter on a regular basis; but it sounds like it’s nothing to worry about. Based on feedback I should just dress warmer.

I’ve been riding in the Texas Hill Country all week and on last Saturday’s ride the temperature didn’t go into the high 50s as predicted (stayed in the 40s instead), so half way through the long ride I found myself a little cooler than I prefer.

My only concern was that it wasn’t happening to other riders. Maybe the combination of not being dressed warm enough and not being acclimated to cold weather made it affect me more so.

Thanks again,
Rick
Wait, don't jump to the "nothing to worry about" conclusion.
I think this happens in 2 scenarios and one of them is worrisome:
The first is when your mouth and face get very cold and affect your facial muscles and mouth/tongue. That I wouldn't worry about so much.
What I would worry about is when your whole body gets chilled, and you start slurring because core temp is dropping and as others have mentioned, you are hypothermic. The temps you are describing are classic for development of hypothermia.
Hypothermia is dangerous for a few reasons, and in a sport like cycling where you have to be thinking clearly to ride safely in a group, particularly dangerous. Do not minimize the risks of hypothermia.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider
The first is when your mouth and face get very cold and affect your facial muscles and mouth/tongue. That I wouldn't worry about so much.
This sounds a lot like what I felt. I was cool but not excessively chilled -- I had already removed a jacket I could have put back on. I was working hard enough to keep my body relatively warm.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Smells like what?

Everything affects my ability to speak clearly.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS
Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. Being from the south it’s something I don’t encounter on a regular basis; but it sounds like it’s nothing to worry about.
Hypothermia is definitely something you should worry about. Hypothermia can kill you fairly quickly.