Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 AM

9-11-01

Please remember and honor those who gave their lives on that fateful day.

@10:05 - The South Tower WTC collapsed
@10:28 - The North Tower WTC Collapsed

And lets not forget the Pentagon, the crash in Pa, the soldiers overseas, and the other innocents who have perrished because of the cowardly acts of a few radicals.

No politics - Just remember what happened and honor the dead.

May they rest in peace.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Campy or Walk

Amen
Old 09-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

I am spending the day in downtown Manhattan and just walked by the ceremonies (families and guests only). It is a somber day indeed.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick
Please remember and honor those who gave their lives on that fateful day.

@10:05 - The South Tower WTC collapsed
@10:28 - The North Tower WTC Collapsed

And lets not forget the Pentagon, the crash in Pa, the soldiers overseas, and the other innocents who have perrished because of the cowardly acts of a few radicals.

No politics - Just remember what happened and honor the dead.

May they rest in peace.
Absolutely. May God bless them and their families.

And you're right...life IS too short to drink cheap beer. Or ride cheap bikes. Jeff N.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:47 AM

I was working with my good friend Carl Strong on that day. We sat in silence and listened to NPR and couldn't beleive what we were hearing. We treid to be stoic and get some framebuilding done but is wasn't going to happen.

I'll never forget that day. Sitting on the picnic table, looking out at the perfect sky and tall mountains and hearing the Airforce jets scream over.

Remember that day.

Dave
Old 09-11-2004, 10:22 AM
caffeine power

I was ready to get deployed the next day but what has really happened since. Not a damn thing. Now we're just a whining country that thinks it is better than the rest of the world and doesn't deserve what it gets... in spades.

Too bad, 9/11 was and is just another day of the year.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:09 AM
<-- My favorite Serotta!

It's hard not to politicize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine power
....Too bad, 9/11 was and is just another day of the year.
But what caffeine power said gives you a lot to think about....
Old 09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Feel the Force

I am spending the day with my family today, on the "first" 9/11 I was at work- but when I realized what was happening I left to be with my wife (the baby wasn't around yet). I will never forget and I will make damn sure my son understands the magnitude of what happened that day. I still to this day have to take a deep breath when I think of that day. Our entire world changed in an instant.

Jason
Old 09-11-2004, 01:59 PM
nurslet

there was a minute of silence and a color guard before the century ride in dover today.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
csb

Last edited by csb; 09-11-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:20 AM
ZhugeLiang

Hamilton dedicates TT win to victims and survivors.

From Velonews:

Hamilton was pleased and relaxed at the end of the stage Saturday, but made a point in each of interviews to close off questions with a reminder that it was also the third anniversary of the attacks on New York and Washington.

"It's something that changed the world as I know it," Hamilton said. "I would like to dedicate this win to all the people affected by the tragedy of 9-11."
Old 09-12-2004, 09:25 AM
caffeine power

Nobody that saw it on the news that day will ever forget it, but you have to move on. Do we have a national day for the people who died in other plane crashes? Nope. How about the 163 that died when the Murrow building was bombed in Oklahoma City? Nope. US citizens, especially ones with a more conservative political leaning, fail to see how we reap what we sow. These people seem to feel that because "we're Americans" we have a special dispensation forbidding the **** of life and the world from being dumped on us. Well guess what, life is a **** sandwich and we all gotta take a bite. And then what? After we take that collective bite do we do anything? Oh sure, we go after the guy/guys in charge. Bin Laden? Sure. Hussein? Deserving of an *** kicking but behind it or involved in it? Not according to the facts. And why aren't we holding the "government" (not really much of a government when it's a Monarchy) of Saudi Arabia accountable? Do you think I'll say OIL? Why not. How about just plain $$$$$$? We could all live in a nice fuzzy warm bubble of our homes with the hopes of the crap of the outside world never touching us. But as we saw in Russia last week if someone is going to hold a school full of a few hundred or more "innocents" hostage where are they going to choose to do it? In an environment where the populace hesitates because those actions and that type of hatred are so rarely seen. Why? Because if terrorists, domestic or foreign, suddenly took Middleton High School hostage they'd have all day to get set up before the police responded. Why? Because this isn't Tel Aviv or Moscow or Mosul... "bad things don't happen to americans on american soil"....wrong. Get ready, it will happen again. Sooner or later it will happen and I won't be the least bit surprised. Will you?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:17 AM

Relax guy. Let's keep the political ranting off this forum. Ride your bike and enjoy the weekend.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:26 PM
va rider

In the immortal words of the Big Toe -- lighten up Francis.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:20 PM

Ummm -

Chill out - drink less caffeine

Seriously - keep the politics out of this. Oklahoma City was terrible, as are (were) many other events. What you fail to realize is the magnitude of 9-11-01. It touched the world - not just our little paradise. Something else I can relate to that you might not - the firefighters who went into those towers knew they werent coming out alive. I had just gotten off from my regular 24 hour shift and was watching the news, with a cup o joe, when I saw tower 1 burning. I could see that the structure was going to fail - and I know what I would have done if my crew had been there. We would have gone in knowing we were going to die, but also knowing perhaps we could help others. Our rule is risk a little to save a little, risk alot to save alot. From where I sit that makes 9-11-01 ALOT different. Screw politics, over 300 firefighters died in less than a few hours - all doing their job. All I ask is you respect them, the civilians who died a horrible death, and those whose lives were and are affected by the calamity that was 9-11-01.

Now go ride off your frustrations! I just did and I feel MUCH better!