Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
ajs122

Campy long reach brakes??

Does Campy make long reach brakes so you can ride a larger tire?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM

I don't think they do now. Old Nuovo Record brakes will take tires up to a real 28mm and maybe more. On our CSi w/Chorus 700x25 is the biggest Conti I can fit. 700x28 Conti rubbed. The critical part (where it rubbed) was the bottom of the F1 fork crown, not the brake. I think I could have made the 700x28 fit the rear but didn't really try since the front was a dead issue. FWIW I run 700x28 Continental UltraGatorskins on my Rambouillet with the 57mm, used-to-be standard reach now long-reach Ultegra brakes with lots of room to spare. I might get 700x35 in there.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
ajs122

So if I want to run 35c on my Atlanta with Daytona, I need to change out the brakes to Shminio long reach brakes?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 PM
JackL

I'm not aware of any long reach brakes except those by Shimano and Tektro. However, you can't just install long reach brakes on a frame designed for short reach brakes. The longer reach brakes will put the brake pads into the spokes, and won't give you any more tire clearance. You need a frame designed specifically for long reach brakes, that positions the wheels farther away from the fork crown and brake bridge. Try Kogswell, Surly, or Rivendell.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:39 PM

I don't think they will fit any other way BUT: you have to have the brake mounting holes higher in both the frame and fork or else the brake shoe would be grabbing the air under your rims. Changing these is probably impractical. I would try to borrow a rim with the size tire you want to run and see if it clears your present set-up. Remember with the F1 fork IT was the limiting factor with too little clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fork. If you are lucky enough to have a steel fork then the brake arm will probably be the limiting factor.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:40 PM

yeah Jack got it right while I was typing.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:57 PM
ajs122

Many thanks guys.Sounds like I'll be better off to buy a Rivendell.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Late to the discussion....my $.02

I know there are currently manufacturers who make longer reach brakes. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand. A few years ago I set up a rain bike that required such brakes. My local LBS had a pair in-stock that were very low cost (and worked quite well). I gave that rain bike to a student who helped me pack up for my move so I can't readly check them. I recently picked up a similar frame on ebay that came with the original Weinman brakes (currently transforming into a fixie). They are also of the long reach variety. You could also get a different frame with less clearance to accommodate today's shorter reach set-ups...but hey, some of those older frames are cool to set up and ride.

I have seen a lot of these types of brakes on ebay as well...just another option to consider. Unless of course you only want Campy.

William