Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Pedals

Campy question

As a relitively new cyclist I wonder: why is campy so noisy in the drive train? In group rides all you hear is the Campy drive train. Is this what is refered to as wearing in? I never hear this from any of the Shimano drive trains, Dura Ace- 105, is it because shimano is wearing out?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:42 AM

I have 2000 record with 28k miles on it

and several year old chorus with half the mileage and both drivetrains are quiet. I keep everything clean, standard campy chain, connex link and t9 every 200 miles or so. If everything is adjusted right it quite silent. campy rules.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:00 PM

Are you talking about chain noise, derailleurs rubbing, that sort of thing, or are you talking about pawl noise from the rear hub? If everything is adjusted properly Campy is very quiet. The pawls in the rear hub can be quite a different story depending on whose rear hub you are using. My Campy is pretty quiet. One of my buddies has a Velomax rear hub that is "Campy" compatible. Almost sounds like he has cards in his spokes.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:17 PM

jberk

have 2004 and 1995 Record. Both are very quiet when adjusted properly.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 PM

I just replaced the Sinergy SR-3 wheels on the CSi with Chorus 10spd with Open Pros on Chorus Hubs. The only noise from the bike either way was from the ratchets when coasting. My silent bike is Nuovo Record w/Sunrace freewheel---dead quiet. All of my Shimano stuff is barely audible as are the Spinergys. The Chorus hubs have a very noticeable buzz when coasting but not as load as Chris King hubs. If I hear any noise other than this I start looking for the problem. I think of the Campy buzz as a friendly sound and since it's Lslie's bike I can better keep track of her without turning around.
FWIW, the Spinergys have been perfect and required no truing in about 500 miles but I'm a traditionalist I guess and I bought the Campy/Mavics from one of my iBob net buddies for a reasonable price as he went "modern". I'm trying to decide whether I should mount up some 700x20 tires on the Spinergys for a racy set-up in case we would ever want that kind of ride. Not very likely.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:45 PM

Silence !

After the initial break in, Campy is like riding a fixy.

The noise could be emenating from a loose cassette. Check that the
lock ring is real real tight.

My Drivetrain became noisy after numerous applications of WD40
to clean the Cassette. WD40 acts as a penetrating oil and works
itself into the lockring.

If the lockring is loose, It's almost impossible to isolate the location
of the noise.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:51 PM

Hi Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb
I just replaced the Sinergy SR-3 wheels on the CSi with Chorus 10spd with Open Pros on Chorus Hubs. The only noise from the bike either way was from the ratchets when coasting. My silent bike is Nuovo Record w/Sunrace freewheel---dead quiet. All of my Shimano stuff is barely audible as are the Spinergys. The Chorus hubs have a very noticeable buzz when coasting but not as load as Chris King hubs. If I hear any noise other than this I start looking for the problem. I think of the Campy buzz as a friendly sound and since it's Lslie's bike I can better keep track of her without turning around.
FWIW, the Spinergys have been perfect and required no truing in about 500 miles but I'm a traditionalist I guess and I bought the Campy/Mavics from one of my iBob net buddies for a reasonable price as he went "modern". I'm trying to decide whether I should mount up some 700x20 tires on the Spinergys for a racy set-up in case we would ever want that kind of ride. Not very likely.
just pull apart the hub and try a diff type of grease and amount - with a little effort most hubs can run pretty quiet