Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Fierte IT on hitch type rack?

Greetings....Typically I carry my Fierte IT inside my vehicle back seat with front wheel off - I now have a situation where I will be carrying two road bikes. I have a 2" hitch type Thule 934XT rack I have used with mountain bikes. Would it be ill advised to hang my Fierte with carbon fiber top tube on that rack? I do have the accessory sway holders that fix around the seat tube. I believe that it is not generally advised to clamp a bike stand on the top tube. Thanks for any help - Stevoreno
Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 PM

I still can't get the search to work here on the Serotta Forum, so I tried over on the BF. Several posts discussed this issue - some people have done it with no problem on CF bikes - others warned of scratches by the rack, esp. the under top tube brake cables. Hitch racks like the Thule T2 that are wheel receiver type seem to be preferred hitch racks, as well as fork mount roof racks being carbon friendly. So I may put my Fierte in the back seat and my brother in laws steel frame on the rack. Thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 AM

just took delivery friday of a thule t2 having purchased off ebay new for $269 plus $30 shipping. assembled it yesterday and am amazed at the quality. rock solid construction. can't wait to try it out. like you i did not want a rack that attached to the frame of my c'dale six13 with carbon tubes. you may want to do a forum search as i started a thread about a month ago on the t2 on both serotta and bf. all responses raved about the rack.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 PM

I got the search to work today - you are correct on the good reviews of the T2. Also came across the Hollywood fork mount for the hitch also.

It has been great carrying the bike inside, but I may need to get something for the multiple bike trips.