Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
LibraChix

WWOT: rocker runners and hardwood floors

Since this seems to be the go-to forum for house and kitchen questions, here's mine. What have you done to protect your hardwoods floors from wooden rocker runners if you don't/won't have an area rug under the rocker?

I just bought an antique rocker and my husband is thinking of glueing leather on the runners which would probably work fine but what about damage, probably really only fiscal as rocker bottoms get worn anyway, to a signed and numbered antique?

I'm just learning about living with hardwood floors, but I am perfecting my skating technique.

SK
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
what's a little rust?

We use felt strips with an adhesive backing. The adhesive should come off with a mild cleaner only--I haven't had reason to try, but it seems much less serious than hot glue or something like that.

I don't know where my wife found them, but they're pretty much the same as what this company offers:

http://www.countryplank.com/floorprotectors.html
Old 01-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Is this roundtrip?

Yep. I go to the hardware store and pick up some of those adhesive back felt strips and apply them to the runners.

Seems to work well for me.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM
LibraChix

Has anyone found the felt strips wider than 1/2"? Or the wider pads longer than 6"? I'm guessing that a rocker needs longer than 6". I appreciate your input as the hubby would prefer the look of leather but the potential glue removal issue just makes me cringe.

Someone suggested weatherstripping because it comes in more widths but I've only found the felt version in glue or tack application.

I may need to do a roll-out test to determine length once the rocker arrives. Will I need a calibration chart?

I haven't had a rocker in my home in 20+ years. I love them; I had my great-grandfather's rocker in my bedroom growing up and lived in the thing. We didn't have space to take it in a few years back when my parents offered and they subsequently kept it and reupholstered it in a completely non-era fabric. It will be nice to have a good solid Arts and Crafts slatted rocker again.

Thanks for helping.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc
We use felt strips with an adhesive backing. The adhesive should come off with a mild cleaner only--I haven't had reason to try, but it seems much less serious than hot glue or something like that.

I don't know where my wife found them, but they're pretty much the same as what this company offers:

http://www.countryplank.com/floorprotectors.html

home depot or lowes has felt pads in all sizes
I'd ues a small rug
cheers imho
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
LibraChix

Well, gosh. I can use a small floor rug or my heating vent. It was a balmy 8 degrees this morning. Hmm, hmm, what should I do?

Hey, it just dawned on me:

Rocker = fixed
La-Z-boy = geared

Cheers.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Free Unibet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieKate

I just bought an antique rocker and my husband is thinking of glueing leather on the runners which would probably work fine but what about damage, probably really only fiscal as rocker bottoms get worn anyway, to a signed and numbered antique?

SK
Stickley?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM
LibraChix

Limbert.

But thank gawd the Stickme dealer here in town has been having a clearance sale.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Free Unibet

Quote:
Limbert.

But thank gawd the Stickme dealer here in town has been having a clearance sale.
Stickme....lol......

Limbert is some of my favorite furniture...The design is so good.......they always managed to get some curves in a style that was otherwise straight and angular. Is your rocker the smaller "sewing rocker"?...(alot of people think it is a child's rocker)
Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
LibraChix

I can't take credit. A friend came up with "Stickme."

I'm also not a Limbert expert. I just know what I like and I did want a smaller rocker, but not too small.

This is the seller's description. I corresponded with him quite a bit and got more photos. It's definitely one of the smaller rockers. Is it the sewing rocker?

Arts & Crafts Rocking Chair made by Charles Limbert. Solid quartersawn oak with new leather on drop in seat and back. Pegged/pinned with thru tenons on arms. . . Signed & numbered. Dimensions are: 27" wide, 29" total deep 31 1/2" high.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Free Unibet

Quote:
I can't take credit. A friend came up with "Stickme."

I'm also not a Limbert expert. I just know what I like and I did want a smaller rocker, but not too small.

This is the seller's description. I corresponded with him quite a bit and got more photos. It's definitely one of the smaller rockers. Is it the sewing rocker?

Arts & Crafts Rocking Chair made by Charles Limbert. Solid quartersawn oak with new leather on drop in seat and back. Pegged/pinned with thru tenons on arms. . . Signed & numbered. Dimensions are: 27" wide, 29" total deep 31 1/2" high.

No that is a regular rocker. All of the Limbert furniture tended toward the smaller side. The chair is great. What a great form.....see what I mean about the curves mixed with the straight lines? The chair should have a burned label underneath with a picture of a man working..and it will say "Limbert Arts &Crafts....Holland....Grand Rapids' They had the coolest label in the business. By the way, just in case you aren't familiar, you should stop by the Stickme dealer....Stickley owns the rights to the old Limbert designs and is remaking some of the more famous pieces...and doing a good job, too....
Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 PM
LibraChix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspielman
By the way, just in case you aren't familiar, you should stop by the Stickme dealer....Stickley owns the rights to the old Limbert designs and is remaking some of the more famous pieces...and doing a good job, too....
You don't need to tell me. Because of the clearance sale, we bought a Limbert Cafe Chair (in cherry, my favorite) and a hall tree. I've had to place the store offbounds. There is a Roycroft Magazine pedestal I'm trying to ignore.

BTW, was there a name to that rocker? Seems many of the styles have a commonly used name.

Last edited by SadieKate; 01-16-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Free Unibet

Quote:
You don't need to tell me. Because of the clearance sale, we bought a Limbert Cafe Chair (in cherry, my favorite) and a hall tree. I've had place the store offbounds. There is a Roycroft Magazine pedestal I'm trying to ignore.
If you are referring to the BIG Roycroft magazine pedestal..with the "R" trademark carved in the sides, I understand....Did you just move into a bungalow or something?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
LibraChix

Yep, that one.

We just moved into a much larger house so most of our living and bedroom furniture went into other rooms. I've always loved Arts and Crafts-era furniture with Southwest influences (aka not flowery green bungalow), as long as it's comfortable, and have some family antiques from that era which my husband didn't really care for until suddenly he discovered Limbert and Stickley himself. The black walnut hutch made by someone in my family was always "that thing" . . . until now. He's also the one that kept saying we didn't have the room for my great-grandfather's rocker. Boy, is he sorry now.

Last edited by SadieKate; 01-16-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM
LibraChix

BTW, sspielman, why and how do you know so much? Just a personal interest or business or what?

I need to go find more info about the sewing rocker. Just because.