Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
You still here?

electronic trainer question

Do any of you have experience and comments, good, bad or indifferent, about the electronic trainers, such as CompuTrainer or the likes of the Trax and CycleOps et al computer trainers?

The winters here can be long and I, being the definitive weather weenie (is it 70 degrees yet?), am looking at ways to productively spend otherwise boring trainer time.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:56 PM

Among all of the electonic trainers available now, if you don't get the computrainer, you will end up wishing you had in the long run.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Among all of the electonic trainers available now, if you don't get the computrainer, you will end up wishing you had in the long run.
Why? Please expand on your thought. Do you have personal experience with this, or any other similar trainers?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Computrainer has enough users where you could actually compete on your trainer in 'virtual races'.

If your looking for something to break the monotonity of indoor training, I found Dr. Arnie Baker's High Intensity Training (HIT) make 1.5 to 2.0 hour sufferfests un-boring on a regular trainer. I stayed very busy, following a cue sheet for each session. It's intended for two sessions a week due to the high intensity. Without HIT, I could only ride an indoor trainer for a half-hour.

HIT is available as an e-book at arniebakercycling.com. My connection to ABC is I'm just a customer.

Last edited by biorider; 12-02-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson
Why? Please expand on your thought. Do you have personal experience with this, or any other similar trainers?
I had one of the early computrainers back in '94. I think even that version is nicer and more durable than the others that are out there. When you see them and feel the differences, you just know that the computrainer is heads above the others. I'm not saying that the others are junk, just that the computrainer is that much better. Says something that all of the cycling federations or coaching staffs that do indoor training or evaluation of athletes only use computrainers. They are the gold standard. I also think that the added features and the availability of upgrading the computrainer through the years is a plus. I was a college student when I had mine. Sold it to a guy here in town. He has upgraded the software and the head unit a couple of times, but the trainer itself is going strong.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 AM
problem child

dave thompson,

I have used rollers, 1up USA, Kurt Kinetic, Computrainer, and currently Cateye CS 1000 (no longer in production). Of the trainers, the Cateye is my choice when coupled with a structured workout, as biorider mentioned. I think that many of the non-electronic trainers are just fine when coupled with a structured workout. My reason for the Cateye is that it has rider-powered electronics showing speed, distance, and time as well as slope setting and countdown features. It also has watts, but I wouldn't rely on them as a true measure but would for rider consistency over time. I would not buy anything that needs to be plugged in.

The aspect of the Computrainer that helped me was to develop an even stroke with the scan function. Beyond that, it wasn't for me so I sold it.

It's not about the trainer in my view, but how you use it.

keno
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 AM

Hey Keno

I'm also a Cateye Ciclosimulator user. I find it's a really stable platform. I know the watts is probably not accurate, but I'm assuming it's relative to yourself, all other things being equal, i.e. that x watts over an hour on one day giving 1000kcal would be an equivalent work out for you on another day giving the same readings. Does anyone have other good workout routines besides A. Baker's.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
problem child

paulh,

get your hands on Baker's "Smart Cycling". It's a paperback and probably available on Amazon either new or a new remainder in their "used" category. He has a 12-week indoor program that covers all aspects of the training with scientific explanations. Each workout is 60 minutes.

keno
Old 12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I have repeatedly extolled the virtues of the CT, so search for those comments. Biggest downside is the physical set-up and associated expense of computer, monitor (big fan of a swing arm to put the monitor in front of the bars), fans, maybe a reading stand. Real life videos are soon to be available for CT. Relieving trainer boredom and hill climbing are the biggest upsides - with at least 200 days a year on the CT I'd say I continue to be very happy with it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 PM

I'm no fan of indoor training NO MATTER WHAT....But, Arnie Baker is an amazing coach (and and all around good guy)...

He trained me to be a TNT cycle coach and I have the highest regard for him and his teachings.

Steve

PS: It actually got below 60* here over the weekend....Brrrrr cold!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve
I'm no fan of indoor training NO MATTER WHAT....But, Arnie Baker is an amazing coach (and and all around good guy)...

He trained me to be a TNT cycle coach and I have the highest regard for him and his teachings.

Steve

PS: It actually got below 60* here over the weekend....Brrrrr cold!
Steve: I usually reserve this comment for Ken Robb, but: Bite me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-winter1.JPG (119.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM

dave, i have one of the trax and its ok. it has kind of lumpy and unever resistance until you get it up to speed and then it really smooths out. it is fine for power related work if you have the mentality for that kind of work in the winter. i recommend it but have no experience with whatever else is available.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:30 PM

I live in an apartment and the CT was louder than a jet engine. Seriously though, it was loud enough. I currently train with a powertap on a 1upusa. Get on and go.

CT is nice but too much setup for me since I put away the bike after every ride. (ie. plugging in things, laptop etc if you want the dorky 2d/3d graphics)
Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Marron

Arnie Baker II

Quote:
Originally Posted by biorider
Computrainer has enough users where you could actually compete on your trainer in 'virtual races'.

If your looking for something to break the monotonity of indoor training, I found Dr. Arnie Baker's High Intensity Training (HIT) make 1.5 to 2.0 hour sufferfests un-boring on a regular trainer. I stayed very busy, following a cue sheet for each session. It's intended for two sessions a week due to the high intensity. Without HIT, I could only ride an indoor trainer for a half-hour.

HIT is available as an e-book at arniebakercycling.com. My connection to ABC is I'm just a customer.
I strongly second that! Both Baker's published book, Smart Cycling, and his e book are great time passers and solid no brainer training programs. I don't know if evey expert would agree with the specic regimen, but for the average forum member it's probably fine. It makes me faster and fitter.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Crazy Chris

What about the Lemond indoor trainers? The newer model costs an arm and a leg. What about the cheaper version?