Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 PM
AKA C5 Golfer

Snow is falling-are there any Snowboarders here?

If so what do you ride and where?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Dutch Oven

When I have access to snowy hills, I am a grouchy retro two-planker.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM

Raises hand.......................7 year-old Ride Mountain 156.....3 year-old Forum navigator 163..........Brand spanking new Ride Timeless....164......Let it snow. Let it snow....though we are having a gorgeous fall here....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ride Timeless.jpg (7.1 KB, 152 views)
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Alpental!

C5, Driving home from work today, I saw the ice crystals in the raindrops as they hit the windshield and I cannot wait until they open up (MtBaker opens tomorrow)! I am a skier, the father of a snowboarder and I ski most of the time at Alpental. Do you have a season pass for the summit? This year for a few extra bucks you can ski 5 days at Crystal as well. If I had my choice that is the better place but I have many incredible days at Alpental. Favorite runs? Shot Six and the trees below it or Kante, then skiers left down the first open shot in the trees are always first choices when theres new snow. Let everyone else wallow in the avalanche debris in Internationale. I'll do that later after the front is tracked out. I do ski alot at night after work on chair 1 (Debbies gold). There is a suprising amount of variety off that chair.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM

This is year 28 of my snowboard obsession.

I ride mostly at Bridger Bowl here in Bozeman. It's a wonderful place with real steeps and lots of snow. http://www.bridgerbowl.com/snowreport/

I ride two types of boards. My free ride, big mountain boards, are Rad-Air Tankers. My every day board is a 187W and the big gun for deep days is a 200 Tanker. Nothing I've ever ridden is faster or smoother than these boards. They are the best kept, easiest to ride fast secrets on the hill. You leave the twin tip guys like they've dropped anchor. Try one and you will never want to ride your 167 again.

When it's not deep and soft but the groomers are good I ride Rossi race room GS boards. I have a 181 and a 191. The 191 goes mach schnel. They are wonderful stiff and fast race boards made by hand by the race room guys at Rossi. I'm very lucky to have two.

I use hard boots and plates on everything. I use a very soft boot for freeride and a very stiff one for the race boards.

Come join us soon.

Dave
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
AKA C5 Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbend
C5, Driving home from work today, I saw the ice crystals in the raindrops as they hit the windshield and I cannot wait until they open up (MtBaker opens tomorrow)! I am a skier, the father of a snowboarder and I ski most of the time at Alpental. Do you have a season pass for the summit? This year for a few extra bucks you can ski 5 days at Crystal as well. If I had my choice that is the better place but I have many incredible days at Alpental. Favorite runs? Shot Six and the trees below it or Kante, then skiers left down the first open shot in the trees are always first choices when theres new snow. Let everyone else wallow in the avalanche debris in Internationale. I'll do that later after the front is tracked out. I do ski alot at night after work on chair 1 (Debbies gold). There is a suprising amount of variety off that chair.
Sounds like you do well --
I have a mid-week season pass for Crystal this year and go to Whistler/Blackcomb about once a month. Used to ski but my kids got me into snowboarding about 10 years ago and have not been on skis since.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM
AKA C5 Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk
When it's not deep and soft but the groomers are good I ride Rossi race room GS boards. I have a 181 and a 191. The 191 goes mach schnel. They are wonderful stiff and fast race boards made by hand by the race room guys at Rossi. I'm very lucky to have two.

I use hard boots and plates on everything. I use a very soft boot for freeride and a very stiff one for the race boards.

Dave
Wow Dave, another hardbooter! Surprise Surprise...I ride softy's only now and then - prefer my AF600s on TD2s with my 178 Hot Blast or Volkl RT GS. or a Prior 4X4 179. Longest I have ridden is Prior's WCR 185 - great board but with 9 boards in my quiver not much room for more. Hope you have a great year in the snow - Big Mountain I hear is going to be expensive. Cheers!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Prior Mountain freeride

I'm heading to Jay Peak this weekend.

I'm so happy this that it is actually snowing. I am newbie but because of my size I had to get a pretty decent board.

My Prior is is 168 XW.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Resident Slacker

Kirkwood is my home away from home. Far enough from Tahoe to keep the tourists away but close enough where I can spend the night (and a paltry $50 at Motel 6) in south Lake and drive down the next day.

Currently riding a Burton Idiom 158cm with maple top. Idiom toe cap strap bindings.

Waiting for the snow to fall out here on the left coast. Not even a drop of rain this season. Great for cycling but the suck for boarding. Had to travel to Whistler last season because lack of snowfall. Hope I won't have to do that again :P
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Serotta_Janelle

I ride!

My husband is a snowboard instructor at Gore Mountain in North Creek, NY. A few years ago before we were married, and before he "graduated" to working at Gore, he was working at West Mountain, the local but much smaller hill. He was there every operating hour of every weekend day and every weekday evening, leaving me home alone to realize what garbage there is on cable. I was a snowboarding widow! So, I decided to give it a try. Even though I hated being out in the cold, if I could do it, it had to be better than sitting home by myself all weekend. Needless to say, I fell in love, and the full privilege family season pass extended by Gore Mountain to its employees is a wonderful benefit that has taken me from bunny hill novice to double diamond expert. And Gore's Rumor trail is one of the best in the Northeast.

Five years later, I have only two boards in my quiver (to my husband's dozen+.) A 154 Ride Solace (for early/ late season before the ground is covered) and a 159 Burton Sensation (for when I am feeling confident and daring.) I don't jump or do tricks, I don't ride in the trees or in the bumps, I just like to ride fast down the steeps avoiding any obstacles that might be in the way of that perfect run.

Sadly, I will be unable to go snowboarding at all this year. We are expecting our first child in April or May '08, so I will miss the entire season. (I thought about heading up to Killington in June, but something tells me I might not be up to it so soon after giving birth.) The OB says that I can't go because even though I don't (often) fall on my own, the risk for collision is too great to chance harming the baby.

It works out alright though. Last year over the President's Day holiday (right after that huge Valentine's Day 3 ft. dump) I developed an injury in my right knee. Tendonitis and torn cartilage that the doc says isn't bad enough for surgery, but I need to stay off it and probably shouldn't snowboard anymore. I still went a few times after that, and it definitely aggravated the injury. It will be nice to take an entire season off and let it heal, so that in the '08/'09 season, if I can tear myself away from the baby, I should be good to go for a couple runs without having to sit down. Even though I'm one of them, there's nothing I hate more than seeing snowboarders sitting down on the trail...
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Do you know the difference between a snowboard and a vacum cleaner?

It's the way the dirt bag attaches.

Just joking of course. I've been snow boarding once and think with some more practice I'd like it better than skiing.

JG
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Greene
Do you know the difference between a snowboard and a vacum cleaner?

It's the way the dirt bag attaches.

Just joking of course. I've been snow boarding once and think with some more practice I'd like it better than skiing.

JG

More than likely if you try snowboarding.....you will forget skiing....simply put....give it a week or so. Wear padded shorts to protect your tail bone....wear wrist protection to protect those....

Boarding -- if you can avoid contusions -- is easier on the knees than skiing...it is a dream sport. You put your turns together and experience what I can only say is the closest thing to surfing on the snow....and easier than real surfing cause the contours are not constantly shifting underneath you....the earth is a wonderful place to ride....and snowboard.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM

I am not a boarder, but I just came off of a few good runs at Sugarbush. It is snowing up here and there is snow and cold in the forecast through the weekend and a possible storm on Sunday night.

It is great to be able to take a hour out of my work day and hit the slopes.

Life is good.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM

I just have to write and say...IT'S DUMPING HERE!
Bridger Bowl got 15 inches overnight and it's piling up at a rate nearing 1 inch/hour.

I am sitting here in my long underwear, trying to tie up a couple of work things before dashing out for a quick ski.

Janelle, I loved your story. Nice way to turn around your "widow" situation, good for you! I used to ride (bikes) with the ski school director at Gore, and it sounds like a nice place to work. I have fond memories of "the Rumor." OK, I also have some not-so-fond memories of it too! It's a difficult run.

Good luck with taking the season off, healing your knee and having a baby!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
jonesing for snow

Gah! I passed on an opportunity to go today for the first time this season, too much work to get done. I've been snowboarding for a number of years, but have only been able to go with any frequency for the last two. This will be my third winter in Portland and my season pass to Mt. Hood Meadows is already attached to my jacket and is chomping at the bit to get some use.

I got a Burton T6 164 a few years ago and have no complaints. I also picked up a Fish at the end of the 06 season; it's good at what it's designed to do, but needs a lot of speed to stay afloat.