Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 PM

IBike power meter thoughts?

Just put one on my Cervelo Soloist Superlight. I'm new to power training. What's your thoughts on the device?

Jack
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM

IPro

Jack,

I have got to tell you that I like the way you think and act(buy); I have been pondering one of these for some time. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments..

Scott
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 PM

Not impressed.

Some of the reliability and repeatability depends on the solidness of the mounting and also of the amount of vibration, or lack of, from the road surface.

It's a great idea and introduces a cyclist to power training but seems like it will be problematic some of the time. I've seen how it measures power against the SRM and PowerTap in comparisons but I wonder what happens over a wide range of real world conditions.

Lastly, it is huge and doesn't look very good on the handlebars being so big, IMHO.

Power and heart rate monitors are tools and you still need a coach to make either work.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Vendor

From what I understand after talking to some coaches, it works resonably well for FTP and tempo intervals and below where you get into quasi steady state. It does not work well to record sprints. In sprint workouts, you are not looking at or using your PM anyway. It is only there to record your effort for review later. But it is nice to have the reliable and repeatable data that you get when doing sprints using an SRM or PT. I haven't heard how well it does for AT intervals (30 sec - 2 min) or VO2 Max intervals (3-8 minutes). It probably works well enough if the road surface doesn't change drastically.

I think one of two things will happen. You will either a) find training with a PM helps bring larger gains more efficiently and then want to upgrade to an SRM or b) find it novel but not change your training/riding habits and not need anything more accurate.

I agree with toaster about getting a coach. At the very, very least, pick up Allen and Coggan's book, Training and Racing with a Power Meter. I don't know whether or not the IBike is compatible with CyclingPeaks WKO+, but that software has made tracking my training and progress very easy. So I suggest looking into that as well.

Good luck! I am sure TT will chime in with some words of wisdom.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 AM

i read nothing good about the Ibike

when i was getting mine. I think argentius threw his away. i read several threads at rbr, and then the wattage forum at google. i did not want to pay for SRM, so got ergomo. really like it, also use cyling peaks software.
had them on 3 bikes for the price of one SRM pro. now have sold my ITA BB bikes so will be selling those ergomos and keeping my english BB version.
hope it works out for you. if nothing else, having a PM really helps you see how your perceived effort and cadence/gear plays into your performance.
Personally, i need to read more about the correct way to train with power--but have only been really trying it since late July. My AC separation in May sort of killed 2 months of training.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Ape and Essence

Yep, it uploads to Peaks software. Zank gave a good assessment of practical function. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Our group was fortunate to have the inventor join us directly after he walked the early prototype around Interbike. We hammered on the unit and had a few beers...determined it works in a limited fashion for what we want to do. Might be a good call for someone who does lots of endurance riding? Not for an serious USCF type in my opinion. Stay tuned, there a two promising new Power Meters coming to market in the next yr. Don't hold out for a big price break...sad ain't it?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Vendor

TT, I don't mind paying if the technology is better. Are the new PMs in the SRM Pro range? Should I hold off on the SRM? Will I be able to use a Garmin 705?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Ape and Essence

Both of the pre-release PMs will prolly be in the same price range as ERGOMO. I still think that the orig. SRM is one of the best bargains dot period. When you consider that they rarely fail , getting the data is super easy and repairs are done by overnight mail to Colorado...just sayin....uh I mean ATMNSHO Unless I really missed the boat that new Garmin will receive ANT enabled PMs so it is not a PM. There has been some really cool work done over the last few yrs. to merge the cartographic data, fun stuff.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
Unless I really missed the boat that new Garmin will receive ANT enabled PMs so it is not a PM. There has been some really cool work done over the last few yrs. to merge the cartographic data, fun stuff.
You are correct. It is not a PM in and of itself, but it can receive data from ANT enabled PMs.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:35 AM

!

Last edited by J.Greene; 09-11-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
cees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brunk
What's your thoughts on the device?
Jack

it's a nice toy
nothing more
Old 09-11-2007, 02:52 PM

SRMs

Jack,

Knowing your standard on things, you will probably not like the iBike. SRM remains the standard - consistent, easy to use, reliable, ect.

I really like the cannondale si Hollowcrank SRM units: light, stiff, super narrow q factor. You might not like Cannondale bikes, but the cannondale SRM cranks are worth "down-grading" your bike imo. I have a lead on a 54 cm Liquidgas team bike with record/SRM at a significant discount off MSRP if you are interested. PM me.

Otherwise, you can get Temple Cycles to build you a bike using the Cannondale BB standard.

Best.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada@prorider.or
it's a nice toy
nothing more
Cees,

Does it work as advertised? Is it somewhat accurate? Have you spent time playing with it? In your opinon does it come close to the SRM?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM

I think Ibike calculates an approximation of power

spend some time searching roadbikereview or the google wattage forum. it is not a true power meter, but an estimator from all i have read on it. I went through the same decision process--wanted an SRM then saw the cost and went with Ergomo. Mine worked great, then a sensor went bad, GITA fixed it, not it works fine again. While waiting I picked up a spare on ebay--it also works fine. I find it very helpful tool to match effort and cadence to power, i like the altimeter function. I hear SRM is more accurate, but my ergomo seems very consistent unto itself, so feel i can readily judge my progress. I remember one of the Ibike gripes i read was that it estimates too many variables--so the number you get can be off. One thing Ergomo hsa shown me--no matter what I feel like, good, bad, hill, wind, etc--the power numbers are there--and sadly don't lie.
if most of your rides are on flat, windless terrain, the ibike may be a good estimator and give you good ride-to-ride feedback.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 PM
cees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brunk
Cees,

Does it work as advertised? Is it somewhat accurate? Have you spent time playing with it? In your opinon does it come close to the SRM?

Thanks,

Jack
simple test for ibike
put the bike on its handle bars
turn the wheel
look how the data change
that īs ow you can see how it works
also if you start with 2 bottle full of water and empty it you got wrong date
well list goes on and on

its not accurate
its has bad software nowhere you can calc something accurate

its way of a srm

well most people use srm as a cycle computer ,hardly any one know how to use a power meter interped the date from it
its more used as look what i got.
if you ask some or they can calc there cda or devations of power they have no idea where you talk about so.
and lots of people do not even calibrate there srm right so...........
in that its a nice cyclo speedo meter