Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 PM

My new Pinarello is ruined...

and I swear I will never again buy a complete bike if it has to be shipped. Never, ever, under any circumstances

When I got home today I had two boxes sitting on my front porch. The Pinarello had arrived! I went to bring them in and saw the big box had a big black mark about the width of a tire (hint, hint!) and the side and top of the box at that site were smashed in.

I was hoping it was just cosmetic damage to the box, so I opened the box lid to look in. The bike was packed very well...sturdy bike box, pipe insulation on all the tubes, bubble wrap, extra cardboard around the sides, even shipped the wheels in a separate box to keep them from scratching the frame, etc.

The first problem I noticed was an STI shifter lever bent at a 90 degree angle...not good. I then moved the pipe insulation off the top tube to see if all was well there...it wasn't. The top tube is crushed and almost touching on the sides. I needed to see no more, so I called FedEx, filed a phone claim, took some pics, closed the box back up, and will send the boxes back and fax a claim to them tomorrow.

I had sworn I would not buy anymore complete bikes, but this one was such a great bike and deal that I fell off the no-buying-complete-bikes-that-have-to-be-shipped wagon. I will never, ever, under any circumstances make that mistake again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-pinbox2.jpg (59.9 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg mini-pinbox1a.jpg (65.2 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg mini-pintt1.jpg (93.1 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg mini-pintt2.jpg (54.4 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg mini-pintt7.jpg (77.5 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by Frank; 05-11-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: other side of box
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I am your friend!

Frank!

I Am Mad!

And _So_ Sorry!

Love,
Your_Friend!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 PM

well...

...your first clue should've been, the Orbea box and not a Pinarello box.

J/K, I am truly sorry. I hope Fed-Ex and whoever shipped it can work something out with you. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Oh snap!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Embracing my

Arrrrgggghhhhh, that tire mark is gruesome.

Sorry about the disapointment. Hope the claim goes smoothly.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 PM

Those last two pic.s make me want to cry. Good luck with your claim, I hope it goes smoothly.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 PM

That is absolutely ridiculous. These shipping goons are crazy these days. They "accidentally" drove over it with a truck?

So far this year, they managed to kill my espresso machine (double boxed with foam peanuts inside inner box and between boxes) and a Vanilla print that Sacha shipped out. On the Vanilla print, they punctured the box right through the "fragile" label.

Jon
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 PM
cmg

bastards............ post about the claim process. FEDEX did this?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM
swoop

what did they do, drive a forklift over it? that's ridiculous damage.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 PM

Thats a damn shame. Does the seller have another - or was this a one off deal? Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 PM

I am SO SORRY for you.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

good luck

i had one bike damaged by fedex--something punctured the box like a spear. i filed the claim. it was inspected and they even slapped a "sorry we damaged it " label on the box. then they denied it and said the SHIPPER had to file it. and so they did, and then fedex denied it saying it was "inadequately packed". it was all well wrapped but something punctured the box.

anyway, i wish you luck and hope they treat you better.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 PM

Oh Frank, that hurt to look at.

Sympathies, amigo. Not cool in the least.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 PM

Thank for the thoughts

I ship all of my frames via FedEx, because they have been so much better than UPS was when I used them. I have only had one claim with FedEx, and that was as a shipper. Sent a f/f to a fellow and looked like a fork lift tine went through the box and bent the seat stay badly. I submitted a FedEx claim on Wed, they picked up the f/f from the fellow on Thursday, they contacted me the following Tuesday and said their claims person had looked at it, said the packing was great and it was their fault, and paid me in full immediately.

I have seen some complete bikes I would have liked to own, including some on this forum, but the complete bike shipping issue (usually poor packing job but definitely not the case here) kept me away. This one was too pretty and such a good deal I couldn't say no, but I have learned my lesson forever again

Last edited by Frank; 08-23-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: tae
Old 08-23-2007, 11:11 PM
jmewkill posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav
i had one bike damaged by fedex--something punctured the box like a spear. i filed the claim. it was inspected and they even slapped a "sorry we damaged it " label on the box. then they denied it and said the SHIPPER had to file it. and so they did, and then fedex denied it saying it was "inadequately packed". it was all well wrapped but something punctured the box.

anyway, i wish you luck and hope they treat you better.
Sounds like every Fedex claim I've ever had.

Frank, I'm sorry for your disappointment and hope Fedex does right by you; shipping damage can really harsh your mellow.