Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Kevan's Rose

Pilates or Concept2 Rower?

At the end of the fourth week in June, I became highly motivated to lose weight and improve my cycling, especially my pathetic climbing ability. I was 225 at the time, down from a high of 240 earlier in the year when I had stopped cycling for 4 months. I went on a strict diet and started to ride more- Today, I hit 200, and will reach the 185 mark. I started cycling more and now I want to become more focused. That will take a willingness to simply push more in group rides, and hopefully get some coaching from Ti Designs later in the year- especially on pedal stroke.

I need to get better core and overall strength. My legs have a little strength, but that is about it. Several years ago I used a Concept2 Rower a few times and really enjoyed it. It seemed to give a great all body workout, even the core. Some of you, who know about training, have said that Pilates is the way to go for core strength training and flexibility, but I am intimidated by it some as I am really not very flexible and am basically weak, except my legs (and giant sized brain ).

So what should I choose? Pilates or a Concept2 Rower or both?

Thanks!!

Somewhat Slimmer Sometime Svelte Skinny Simpleton Serotta Sandy

Last edited by Sandy; 08-22-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Totoal body workout.

Sandy,

I would choose the Concept 2. I am biased though, I've been using them for years and IMHO, it's the best piece of exercise equipment that you can buy. You can use it for aerobic and anerobic workouts. It's all in your focus and how you use it.

Seriously, it will really help your climbing ability as well. If you do decide to get one, get it straight from the factory. If you buy it from an exercise store etc... you'll pay about twice the price of factory direct.

Best of luck in which ever you choose.

William
Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Ex-Mr.President

I would go with a yoga or Pilates simply for the flexibility and core strengthening aspect. While a rower would also be beneficial, I feel it would not be as holistically beneficial. If I picture in my head the two activities any sort of stregthening exercise over a cardio focused one is going to have a greater impact.

If you want better cardio for cycling then I would suggest cycling specific activities or strength training.

But a yoga or pilates would benefit your entire body, which also helps with cycling and other aspects of your life.

I lift weights everyday and end with a stretching routine. It has made a world of difference in my battles with depression, obvious strength issues and my losing battle with being obese.

Anyway, just thoughts. With regards to being intimidated. I totally understand that. Express this to the class instructor or anyone who will help you with tyhe class. If they are aware they "should" help you beocme at ease. You might want to begin with yoga as it is a peacful yet strenous atmosphere, pilates will add more cardio and a more difficult pose/exercise.

Everything you do will benefit you.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
problem child

Concept II Pilates

BTW, the tattoo on my right ankle would be Rollers 101.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Teaser Oct 2005.jpg (87.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

For the record, rowing builds excellent strength, core and whole body as well as kicking the aerobic up. Flexibility is where pilates excells over rowing.

IMHO and my EXP.

William
Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Kevan's Rose

Thanks William and Mr. President.

Mr. President- I once went to a basic class on stretching. The instructor, a trainer at the club used to belong to, was stocky. But she was incredibly strong and extremely flexible. I was in the back of the class and would look in her direction to understand the stretches we (or should I say the rest of the class) were doing. In my line of vision was a middle aged, well built woman who was amazing in her flexiblility and total ease in what she was doing. Talk about being intimidated. At the end of the class, I went up to talk to the instructor, and the other woman was there. Turns out she had been instucting Yoga for 12 years.....I never did a class again......

Stretching Sandy

Last edited by Sandy; 08-22-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Ape and Essence

Both Seriously. Look you've listened to my lame advice so far so why not now!!! I offered to teach you once a week Pilates so that you WON'T be intimidated once you sign up for a class. Check out the Rockville ADI center's schedule. They have a great deal and teachers are decent.
American Dance Institute. You want the beginner "Mat" class.

1570 East Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 984-3003
Fax: (301) 468-5841
info@americandance.org
http://americandance.org/new/html/pilates.htm

PS - TiLegend can have you man, I'll pay him to coach you xxoo, TT
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Kevan's Rose

Too Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
Both Seriously. Look you've listened to my lame advice so far so why not now!!! I offered to teach you once a week Pilates so that you WON'T be intimidated once you sign up for a class. Check out the Rockville ADI center's schedule. They have a great deal and teachers are decent.
American Dance Institute. You want the beginner "Mat" class.

1570 East Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 984-3003
Fax: (301) 468-5841
info@americandance.org
http://americandance.org/new/html/pilates.htm

PS - TiLegend can have you man, I'll pay him to coach you xxoo, TT
Your offer to teach me once a week stood out in my pea brain, but I did not want to take advantage of you, as you are always available and willing to help people improve, but I know that you are a busy man.

Sandy
Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 AM

bro I wish i lived up there you guys are cool imho
cheers
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed
bro I wish i lived up there you guys are cool imho
cheers

Me Too! I cannot wait to get out of Indiana!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Kevan's Rose

Fixed and Mr. President

Please come and vist sometime. We will find you a place to stay and a bike to ride. Fixed- I can't guarantee that you will be fast enough to keep up with me though!!

Still Snail Slow Sandy
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
Please come and vist sometime. We will find you a place to stay and a bike to ride. Fixed- I can't guarantee that you will be fast enough to keep up with me though!!

Still Snail Slow Sandy

Ok it is on! That is what is so great about teacing! 16 weeks of paid vacation through out the calendar year (with 8 of them in the summer)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 AM

Both, BUT IF NOT...

TT is right - they're different with different benefits, so do both if at all possible. If not, the Concept II is somewhat similar to cycling in the way it works your legs and cardio, so it's just more of the same thing - you could get a lot of the same benefit on the bike.

But the REAL benefit of doing Pilates is the scenery. Not if you do it the way Keno did with private lessons and a bunch of equipment (yes, there are good reasons to do it that way too). But you will be in Pilates class with a bunch of young and/or fit women who are flexible in ways you can only imagine. If there are 2-3 men in the class it will be a lot. The women are generally very nice to the men in the class - we don't tend to be nearly as flexible as they are and they'll take pity. And when you can't do a particular movement, it's OK to just sit and watch! BTW, yoga is somewhat similar - more emphasis on flexibility and meditative breathing, but a combination of both is a good way to spend the winter.

Seriously, Pilates will do something completely different for you than riding but with flexibility and core strength that will help your riding indirectly just by making you feel more comfortable on the bike (and off). A concept II will do something slightly different but with lots of overlap with cycling. Lots of reasons to go with Pilates if you can only do one.

-Ray
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Big Chain Ring for Me!

I have been on the erg tons while rowing in College and have stolen some time on my wife's pilates cds. Both are great. Get the machine and the cds.

also, if you don't dread/hate the erg after a few months, you are not using it properly!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
TT is right - they're different with different benefits, so do both if at all possible. If not, the Concept II is somewhat similar to cycling in the way it works your legs and cardio, so it's just more of the same thing - you could get a lot of the same benefit on the bike.

-Ray
Ray,
I'm not trying to be a rabid Concept 2-er, but if your core and upper body aren't getting a workout on the erg, then you're not doing it right. The bike hits the lower body and the cardiovascular system. So, it's not the same thing. The rowing stroke has three phases. From the catch (starting position on the erg, or where you would drop the our in the water in the shell), explosive movement with the legs, open the back, finish with the arms/lats. Then reverse: arms, back, legs. So there is overlap, but again, only the lower body and working cardio.

Just pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burch
also, if you don't dread/hate the erg after a few months, you are not using it properly!
Funny but true. It's a good dread/hate though. But the benefits overshadow those feelings.

William

PS: I won't argue with you on the scenery issue Ray.