Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2024, 06:54 AM

Suggestions for bike trip base in Midwest

I plan an annual 5-7 day trip for a group of cyclists. We usually stay in resorty type towns with other things to do besides cycling and with restaurants and do daily rides of 40-60 miles together. We live in Cincinnati and have been to places including Traverse City MI, Grand Haven MI, Door Co WI, Elkhart Lake WI and Madison WI. I am looking at places for next June.

This group prefers relatively flat terrain but will do some hills but not super hilly areas.

Any thoughts on a base location for next year? Was looking at areas in western PA or NY state that are drivable for us. I have ridden in Niagara region of Canada near Niagara Falls which is decent also.

Let me know your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Alan
Old 09-17-2024, 07:33 AM

I did a four-day tour with a friend from La Crosse, WI (accessible by Amtrak) to Harvard, IL (accessible by CTA Metra) through what's called the Driftless Region a (gosh) decade ago. It had rolling hills, some bike paths, a Frank Lloyd Wright house and museum, Amish country, and breweries. Can send further details if you're interested! You should also have an abundance of options in western PA, WV, southwestern NY.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:45 AM

I would not recommend the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area for 5-7 days of riding.

(I live here). In/around the city the cycling infrastructure generally sucks in both cities as a whole, and the car's let you know it too.... pretty meh in terms of stuff worth seeing... For sure don't travel here for the wings.... Near lake Ontario is fairly flat and rural, not that exciting or scenic, hopefully I'm not too jaded on my local area. But 1 or 2 rides and you've basically seen it all. That said, there is a fairly enjoyable bike path connecting Lewiston, NY to Niagara falls/the Tonawanda's and laps of Grand Island are fairly popular with local cycling groups. I suppose you could ride part of the Empire State Trail to Rochester, spend a night and come back.

South of the cities is where our best riding is, it is rolling terrain with hills but on the main roads between towns, speed limits between 45-55 MPH and not always the best shoulders. The "side" roads are considerably more fun, but are frequently punchy/steep climbs which you may be trying to avoid.

If it comes down to an actual consideration, I'd be happy to at least share some route ideas or guidance for north/south of the city.

Now in terms of a recommendation. If ya'll have gravel bikes, I've been very curious about the Omaha, NE area. I've driven through and stopped for food a few times and it seems to go from city to rural/gravel roads in the middle of nowhere pretty quickly and has a nice midwest charm to it. It's a place I personally would like to explore more given a chance.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:02 AM
Administrator

I dont know how far is too far to drive, but the Shenandoah region Barron and dcama are always posting photos of sure looks good to me.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:40 AM

State College PA?

Anyone ridden around Penn State? Looks interesting.

Alan
Old 09-17-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Alan
I essentially live in Madison, participated in races held at Penn State (two different years), and have visited MSP.

Penn State is in a really hilly area. As in lots of 2 miles at 7% avg (some climbs are 4 mile at 6.5% avg) if one wants to ride far. Spectacular views, but not something that would conform to what you wrote in your OP.

Ditto for much of Western PA, though one gets a bit more reprieve in Pittsburgh. One might get a flatter mix of things in the Catoctins/ near Harrisburg, but that's not the Midwest.

MSP would be an interesting choice though. It'd be my top choice for a place to ride that isn't close to Madison.

Last edited by echappist; 09-17-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2024, 01:27 PM

Eastern TN has some nice road riding and lots of other stuff to do too if near the smoky mtn. NP.
Old 09-17-2024, 01:34 PM

PA riding

Quote:

Alan
I’ve been spending time south and west of State College (Penn State) discovering Somerset and Bedford Counties, PA. This is in the heart of the Central Alleghenies, and for a long time, this area hosted the Tour de Toona Stage Race.

The riding here is spectacular. While there isn’t a ton of dedicated cycling infrastructure (i.e. bike lanes etc.), the roads are rural, lightly trafficked, and offer great variety (including gravel if interested). The challenge is finding routes that don’t include 100 feet of climbing/mile - but that’s ok with me, so you end up with routes that include lots of short (<1 mile) steep up and downs, as well as longer (45 min+) climbs if you are coming up the Allegheny Front from the valley below. Oh, and lots of covered bridges too!

PM me for more details and routes if interested - I think it’s a hidden gem.

MB
Old 09-17-2024, 01:40 PM

PA (hills)

Whoops - realized you wanted some flatter options.

In general, I have found the routes west of the Allegheny Front to be more rolling with a few short (+/- 1 mile) when you invariably dip into the river valleys of the Laurel Highlands.

In comparison, the routes heading east of the Allegheny Front are very hilly from the top of the Eastern Continental Divide down to the valley, but then more moderate down in the valley near Bedford, New Paris etc.

Big climbs here are ~45 min+…so about 15-20 minutes shorter than Whiteface, but still epic in their own unique way!
Old 09-17-2024, 02:25 PM

I have only driven through the area but I always thought SE Ohio (Gallipolis/Athens) looked like a nice riding area. May be hillier than you are looking for though.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:14 PM

Southern Indiana has some really nice places to ride. If you stay close to Bloomington, you have everything around Indiana University, Lake Monroe and Nashville.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Alan
Valley and Ridge Province. On balance, long straight-ish pulls up (perpendicular to) the valley floors, and sharp, steel hills cross-wise....
Old 09-17-2024, 03:56 PM

Finger Lakes area of NY. Wife and I loved Canadaigua but there are other lakes and towns in the same area. Erie canal Tow Path offers flat, smooth fine gravel with quaint small towns evry few miles.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 09-19-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:47 PM
Sunshine

TIL that 'midwest' is a truly massive section of the country.
Old 09-18-2024, 06:57 AM

Thanks for all of your ideas but keep suggesting more

Trying to keep rides fairly flat so all can participate. Many good thoughts so far.

On my list to think about:
Door Co ( have ridden there many times)
Madison WI
Driftless area of WI
Some area in MI other than Traverse City as have been there before
UP of MI though a long trip for us
Base in Finger Lakes NY area
Niagara region in Canada (have ridden there on my own)

Thanks

Alan