Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 11:50 PM

Drop bar grip width

I bought a Zipp service course 70 alloy bars and the grip diameter is thin to my liking. I have a set of Pro Vibe carbon bars and that diameter is good and I also have a set of Deda 35’s in alloy that I like. I just need an alloy bar and Pro makes a Vibe in alloy and from the pics the diameter doesn’t look like it narrows down from the clamping area.

Anyone know of an alloy bar with a thinker diameter on top to use? I dont want to go with the Deda 35’s cause aestheticly I don’t think it will go with the tube set of the bike they will be going on.
Old 09-04-2024, 12:34 AM

If the Zipp bars feel thin in the drops, it has to be because of the tape they're wrapped with.

Steel handlebars are typically only 22mm diameter, but alloy and carbon bars should be minimally 24mm in the drops and anywhere other than at a shaped, sleeved or bulged section.

Brake lever clamps are sized either 22mm or 24mm for road bars, and steel road bars have been scarce for decades except at the disposable bike level.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
the grip diameter is thin to my liking.
"Grip diameter" on nearly all road handlebars is 23.8mm, the standard clamp diameter for drop bar brake levers since the dawn of time for everyone who isn't French.

The bar tops are somewhat subject to variation since nobody is sticking brifters up there.
If you don't like the profile ergonomically, you can buy a different handlebar... or just modify the wrap. Add a short section of brake or shifter housing under the tape to make it stick out in one direction, add a layer of tape or something to increase the diameter, etc.