Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2024, 09:29 AM

Florida recommendations for 2-3 month winter stay

Looking for recommendations for a good place to stay in Florida for 2-3 months this winter.
Requirements are warm winter weather, can be on either the east or west coast close to the ocean/gulf beaches, safe road cycling and/or gravel riding, restaurants, shopping, good bike shop near by.

I’ve visited the east coast between Boca and Miami several times, it’s a concrete jungle. Looking for some road cycling other than riding Rt. A1A if you know what I mean. Where would you recommend I start?

Thanks for your recommendations!
quattro
Old 08-28-2024, 09:55 AM

Are you bringing an RV, getting a rental, or doing a hotel? The concrete jungle of Miami backs up to swampland with gravel roads. I have friends in the Miami area that do some epic road rides. My son attended flight school in Pensacola in 2023 and I attended officer school there in 2000, and it doesn't sound like the riding got any better.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:02 AM

Florida

We are planning on an Airbnb rental during our stay.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:12 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I love Florida (I'm a huge saltwater flyfisherman), but I can unequivocally state that the best winter bicycle riding in Florida is definitely in Arizona.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:22 AM

I agree with christian. I think the Florida city you are looking for is called Tucson Or Central / Southern California if you want to be near water.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:23 AM

We live in Lakewood Ranch, just east/NE of Sarasota. We have great roads, plenty of trails if preferred, local bike groups who welcome riders for their scheduled rides. About 10 miles to the coast and beaches. Some of the best shopping and restaurants in Florida.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:28 AM

Clermont
Old 08-28-2024, 10:32 AM

I go to the Panhandle regularly now with some friends. We stay near Grayton Beach. The riding isn’t much, but the area has a bunch of wildlife areas that seem to be crisscrossed with trails. The one caveat here is that a fat tire bike is basically a requirement. Many of the trails and roads are so soft and sandy that even a mountain bike will sink in and bog down. The fat tire bike I have is great for this. It just floats over the top. I’m thinking of Point Washington Wildlife Management Area if anyone is familiar. As others have mentioned, Florida is mediocre as a cycling destination. At best. But if you care to try something different and slower, the trails on the fat bike aren’t horrible.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
Clermont
Clermont has great hill riding, country roads. But, it is an hour plus from the beaches. Near Orlando with great things to do and places to eat, but even Orlando is a bit of a drive to the center of activities.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:47 AM

Inverness in Citrus County
Old 08-28-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
Clermont has great hill riding, country roads. But, it is an hour plus from the beaches. Near Orlando with great things to do and places to eat, but even Orlando is a bit of a drive to the center of activities.
I would avoid central Florida all together for riding. Clermont and Windermere is so built up and you are riding in traffic almost the entire time. Very aggressive drivers also, almost always confrontations when riding there. I lived in Florida for 30 years and I do not see the appeal, we moved 3 years ago. I was just down there for some work and family stuff for 3 weeks in July, you couldn't pay me to stay any longer than that. Got some rides in but it was not pleasant.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:23 AM

Not what you asked and getting bikes transported there might be a pain...but...

I'd look at Puerto Rico.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:31 AM

St Petersburg. You can ride to the beach from downtown on the Pinellas trail. Lots to do and see. Plenty of AirBnB’s. Art museums, awesome restaurants and a downtown water front that is absolutely gorgeous. Trust me when I say this, it’s the best city in FL.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
St Petersburg. You can ride to the beach from downtown on the Pinellas trail. Lots to do and see. Plenty of AirBnB’s. Art museums, awesome restaurants and a downtown water front that is absolutely gorgeous. Trust me when I say this, it’s the best city in FL.
Spent two weeks in Tarpon Springs last March and rode the Pinellas trail.
Great trail. Do you think short term rental housing would be cheaper in Tarpon Springs?
Old 08-28-2024, 12:31 PM

https://www.visitflorida.com/places-...winter-garden/

Winter Garden-Clermont for cycling. But it's not close to the beaches. Excellent bike shop (Winter Garden Wheel Works) just outside of one of those picture frames, decent rental bikes, and that trail is the W Orange Trail going on to Clermont and beyond. They have ride routes for the hills around Clermont.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-28-2024 at 01:02 PM.