Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2024, 09:12 AM

Need advice on groupset for "do it all" bike

I've pretty much narrowed the frame down to a Specialized Crux based on how much folks here seem to like it.

I got my hands on one in my size; it has been built up with Ultegra Di2 12s (50/34t - 11-34t)
This will be my first electronic groupset, and if I put it together myself, I would probably choose GRX over Ultegra.
Use is probably 80/20 road/gravel. Mostly flatlands of Chicago...

Thoughts on GRX vs. Ultegra?
Old 07-12-2024, 09:19 AM

My gravel and all-road bike is 105 di2 which I think is perfect. I like this bike to lean more road than mountain, and Shimano's road groups do this really well now, with low enough gearing in 2x for almost anything I can maintain traction up and plenty of high-end for the road.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:22 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Basically the same group besides the extended RD capacity and lever hood shape on GRX.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:23 AM

From what I've read, the drawbacks of GRX are subjective:

- the textured ridges of the hoods can irritate your hands if you don't wear gloves
- smidge wider Q factor if you're sensitive
- clutched RD may result in watts lost if racing
Old 07-12-2024, 09:24 AM

Does the Ultegra front derailleur limit the tire clearance on that frame? That would be the only reason I'd swap that for GRX (would need to swap cranks as well for wider ring spacing). I might consider swapping the rear derailleur for a GRX for the clutch.

I would leave the shifters as is.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:33 AM

GRX has slightly different hoods, which people seem to like, but that's probably personal preference.

Gear range difference on the rear is 2t (per Shimano spec GRx is 36t vs Ultegra's 34t).

GRX RD is clutched, Ultegra is not.

GRX gives you the wider range crankset/rings, but comes with a wider chainline and q-factor.

Can't speak to FD performance, as I haven't used the 12-speed version of either.

All that said, I have Force AXS on my gravel bike with 30/43 x 10/36 and that range works for my riding (punchy hills/mountains on East Coast).

And Rival AXS on my road/cross bike with 33/46 x 10/33 which is more than enough range for my road riding (same punchy roads, just paved).
Old 07-12-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
From what I've read, the drawbacks of GRX are subjective:

- the textured ridges of the hoods can irritate your hands if you don't wear gloves
- smidge wider Q factor if you're sensitive
- clutched RD may result in watts lost if racing
Indeed. From what I've read, the drawbacks of the road groiup are:
- the hoods can get a bit slippery
- smidge narrower Q factor if you're sensitive
- non-clutched RD may result in chains falling off when riding and shifting on uneven surfaces
Old 07-12-2024, 09:34 AM

You also may have more than 11-34 capacity with the Ultegra derailleur if you want it. That is officially the spec limit but I've managed to use an 11-40 cassette (XT) with a 50-34 front using a 7000 mechanical 105 GS derailleur. The chain has to be EXACTLY the right length but that will shift and doesn't drag anywhere.

If you like the Ultegra and it gives you what you need I see no reason to swap.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:24 AM

The Microshift Sword is another affordable option for a 10 speed group with great gear ratio ranges. I think it goes to 11-38t on the 2x configuration with 46-29 chainrings.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:27 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I would never get an MTB without a clutch derailleur, but for a gravel bike that is going to see 80% road miles, I'd get Ultegra for the narrower Q factor.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Thoughts on GRX vs. Ultegra?
GRX looks really great but definitely not worth stripping the bike and rebuilding.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:14 AM

I agonized over this same question for several weeks.

I eventually decided on GRX 12-speed 2x mechanical for the gravel bike. I just didn't want to deal with batteries on something I would be riding relatively infrequently.

The way I saw it is, my road bike has Ultegra 12-speed di2 and will take up to 35mm tires. Even though I only run 28s on it, the fact of the matter is that this bike will handle all my "road" and "all-road" duties.

Therefore, the real advantage of the gravel bike would have to be off-road capabilities, for which I would want everything that GRX has to offer.

So I went with GRX.

In your case, figuring the flatlands of Chicago, I think Ultegra di2 is a very fine choice. The groupset works amazing, and let's face it, 50/34 with an 11-34 in the back is going to get you through 99% of your riding out there.

Enjoy!
Old 07-16-2024, 08:24 AM
n - 1

I just built up an “Allroad” bike. Sold off my road bike and disassembled my gravel bike, then bought an Open frame.

I decided to give 1x a go. AXS, 46T, 10-44T. So far, so good.

But between the two, I’d just keep the Ultegra, but wrap that chainstay for protection when you’re on gravel.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:25 AM

Considering ultegra and GRX parts are interchangeable, you could just ride the ultegra and then switch parts to GRX to address any issues you run into. Find that you want a clutch? swap the RD. Don't love the ergonomics? Swap the shifters. Etc.
Old 07-16-2024, 10:55 AM

Any opinions on 105 Di2 vs Ultegra?
I will building a new road bike, probably the last one I will ever buy in my life.
105 Di2 groupset is about $1,000, Ultegra is $1378.
My understanding is they function the same, Ultegra is about 250g lighter and maybe looks nicer? Since this will be my last road bike (I am 67) I am thinking to splurge for Ultegra.