Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2023, 09:22 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Roof rack vs hitch rack

Got a new car recently. I have a 2bike hitch rack already but the new car needs a $380 hitch mount (possibly more but i'm going to try to install it myself - yes, i'm mechanical but it's a fairly complicated install).

The other option is to get roof rack cross bars (car has side rails already) and a single bike tray. That'll cost ~$700+(aero cross bars and a kuat tray) but have the added advantage of carrying our yakima coffin.

Our other car can handle the coffin for when we load up for family trips also so there isn't a real NEED to have my car carry the coffin right away.

My other concern is that with cross bars and a bike tray, the car will be noisy and get dinged on mileage, whereas a hitch mount is basically invisible. The bike tray will most likely live on the car mar-nov. cross bars will be on probably the car the same.

Any strong opinions either way? Anything I'm not thinking about? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:26 AM

Roof racks are nice, but also a pain. Your mileage will suffer, hoisting a bike onto the roof gets to be less fun as you get older, (ask me how I know.)
If the bike slips as you lift it on to the roof, there goes your paint job, and without a fairing, cross bars are surprising noisy.
Hitch racks have none of these issues. Your only concern is getting rear ended, which while very unfortunate, doesn't happen very often.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:33 AM

Hitch rack all day long, for reasons mentioned already.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:35 AM

Hitch rack is the way to go. I've had both types and the hitch rack takes less than 30 seconds to secure your bike and no bug splatter on your bike like you get with having it on the roof.

Not to mention you can keep an eye on it from your rear view mirror.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:43 AM

Hitch Rack 100%.

Quieter, better mpg, your bike is better protected from rocks and bugs while driving, and you don't need to worry about hitting a garage or sign if you aren't thinking about your bikes on top of the car.

If you sell the other car and need more cargo space, you can always get a cargo carrier that can fit up to two bicycle add-ons.
https://1up-usa.com/product-category/cargo-carriers/
Old 07-17-2023, 09:48 AM
n - 1

Have you looked on etrailer.com ? Hitch receivers are typically less than that. I think I got one for our van for around $190
Old 07-17-2023, 09:55 AM
Sunshine

I have had 4 hitches installed on 3 different vehicle models in the last 4 years- Honda pilot, Subaru Crosstrek, Subaru Outback- and none were over $230 for hitch and installation.

I didn't get the electrical hookup.

But I mention this simply because if you are getting just the hitch and basic install, your quoted price seems expensive.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:00 AM

I’m pretty sold on the hitch rack. The noise and MPG penalty when I had a roof rack was a huge downside. My 1UP trailer hitch rack creates a truly minimal efficiency loss and creates no noticeable extra noise in the cabin.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I’m pretty sold on the hitch rack. The noise and MPG penalty when I had a roof rack was a huge downside. My 1UP trailer hitch rack creates a truly minimal efficiency loss and creates no noticeable extra noise in the cabin.
+1 for hitch and 1up. It takes less than 3 minutes to install the 1UP rack or take it off and my bike seems pretty secure. In addition, the 1up rack is great for all sizes of bike tires (i.e. MTB-road). I have an Avalon and there aren't a ton of great options for roof mounts. UHaul installed a hitch for a couple hundred dollars (i think it was less than $300 for the hitch and install).
Old 07-17-2023, 10:14 AM

I am for hitch too, especially in anything taller than a wagon. I found UHaul to be the cheapest game in town for installation in case you haven't checked there.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:34 AM
slower than you

Smaller the car, the more a hitch screws up the handling, especially if loaded up with a few bikes. It's the last place you want to hang a hundred pounds or more. Re: why mid engined cars exist. Had one on an Outback some time ago, and that was the first complaint, second was essentially disabling the hatchback area, making it hard to sit and use and get things in and out, if bikes are loaded. That said, after demoing a high end Trek roadie e-bike, it's the only way to carry something like that. Wouldn't even try getting an e bike on my roof, and even getting it in and out of my Honda CRV was a real pain.
Somebody mentioned no bug splatter with a hitch rack, but, man, if you ever get caught in a messy rain situation, that's going to be a big cleanup of those bikes, although I passed an RV with a few bikes hanging off the back recently in full "bag" covers which seem to be a nice solution for protection on long trips and prying eyes.
I'm a roof rack person, all season, with a box for winter. I carry my roadie inside on long trips on top of luggage. The car becomes a locked, alarmed compartment in motel and other parking lots, although a buddy of mine got his stuff stolen from his CRV in Utah recently at a motel. They broke through the back window, and took everything from there. Not connected to the alarm system. Yes, the biggest fear is brain fading and driving my beloved bike into a garage opening that is too small someday, but, so far, so good. Some car washes will not allow roof racks through, especially with a box up there, and parking garages are a real obstacle, with a box.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:38 AM

I always preferred roof racks. Hot exhaust on tires/carbon rims, concern of rear ending, backing into something and dragging the hitchrack and bikes on the ground when entering/exiting steep inclines/driveways. The last is especially gut wrenching when your bike is dragging along and you are helpless to stop it.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:48 AM

These last two posts are definite compromises with the trailer hitch rack. The 1UP is designed to alleviate the scraping and can also be tilted down to access a hatchback or trunk.

But yeah, they’re going to get dirty if there are dirty roads. That said, roof rack bikes will not really be spared if you’re driving on wet, sloppy roads! And I know of several people who have driven into their garages with the rack on the roof.

Not me!

Anyway, Both ways have some compromises. I’m a trailer hitch guy today. YMMV.
Old 07-17-2023, 01:14 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Regarding the cost of the hitch, i'd want a class 2 hitch mount with a 300lb tongue weight (in a few short years i'll be hauling 3-4 bikes on the back). the class 1 with a 200lb tongue weight is less than $200 (or thereabouts).

Thanks for the input all, I can always get roof rails down the road if I need to carry the coffin.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:21 PM

I’m not switching, but I was just ticketed for obscuring rear license plate with bike loaded on my Kuat hitch rack.