Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Helianthus annuus

Aimee's Christmas Kirk

I have posted a few pictures of this bike over on the bikefanclub site under custom bikes...but I thought Serotta folk would enjoy seeing a bike so pink and small that, well, you have to see it to believe it. Aimee was surprised, ecstatic, plotting her rides. I finished it up last night, wrapped the bars this morning...and the big red bow. David Kirk did a magnificent job: this is beautiful work and he is such a good sport for putting on the Hello Kitty stickers. Aimee thinks it purrrfect. Comments welcome, of course. Now I am scheming my own Kirk...

dbrk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5190070.jpg (84.7 KB, 1392 views)
Old 12-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

drbk,

It looks sweet, like cotton candy. Why didn't you spring for new pedals? I am sure Aimee's bike is going to be all the rage at the next club ride.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman
Old 12-25-2003, 12:56 PM
biker

Re: Aimee's Christmas Kirk

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrk
... Aimee was surprised, ecstatic, plotting her rides... Aimee thinks it purrrfect... Now I am scheming my own Kirk...

dbrk
- Hmmm, Nice move .

dbrk,

This is really a very very beautiful bike. How did you decide the size for Aimee? The 155mm crankset is also special.... Thanks.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Like I'm the only one...

Cool! I was drooling on the Kirk site the other night and my 10 year old son came up and said, "Hello Kitty", as soon as he saw it. He likes it as well. Hope your wife enjoys it.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:54 PM
needs adult supervision

i see you had david do the stem too. great touch. only "problem" with such a beautiful frame is the pain of getting it dirty. david's frame blur that line between tool and art. wonderful gift. seeing her face the moment she saw it must have been priceless.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Campy or Walk

As the owner of several pink bikes I applaud your color choice.

About the gearing, the chainrings don't look very large. Are the 53/39? Will she be able to keep up with such small rings and 650 wheels?

I still think you should get a matching one for yourself.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Windrider

Beautiful.

I too am thinking of a Kirk.

What color, what color.

Glad she was surprised & Happy.

Len
Old 12-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Helianthus annuus

some details

The cranks are 155mm in length, as I mentioned, but the chainrings are 46/36 with a 12-27 rear. I opted to skip the triple thinking that she would have enough gears.

The Kirk I'm scheming is a version of the MRB (Montana Road Bike). Dave and I are talking about it, but it's all in the details. I think it wise not to say more until we have a solid idea and a real deal. Right now, I'm just schemin'...

dbrk
Old 12-25-2003, 10:03 PM

Beautiful bike, and I'm sure even more impressive in person. But after looking at the photos you put up on BFC I'm surprised you went with a black seatpost.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Helianthus annuus

You're right that the silver headset and spacers push the trim towards silver, but the bars, old Cinelli 38s, are black from 3cm to the clamp, so the bars are basically black. This is the sort of detail that I will spend the next week in Jamaica thinking about, then fretting about, then resolved, then change my mind, then thinking about again, likely changing, changing back. Go figure. Bikes are more than just a great ride to me. They have a certain aesthetic quality.

No one has yet mentioned (or perhaps the photos don't show it very clearly) the funky front derailleur. It's some old Suntour that was laying in the box. I am an ardent proponent of the Make Whatever Front Derailleur You Have work properly. This one works fine. And, of course, I'd never give in to a single component group. Too easy, too boring. It's more fun to make it work right in ways the Companies say it doesn't.

dbrk
Old 12-26-2003, 09:38 AM
nurslet

lovely pink bike! going to have DK build a fork for me.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:12 AM
<-- My favorite Serotta!

Why?

Why isn't this post in the image gallery?

Hey, dbrk!

Nice bike.... Hope we get to see it in the next TDFL!

Russ
Old 12-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Helianthus annuus

Russ and others,
In deference to the Serotta focus of our Forum here I posted the pictures of Aimee's bike in custom gallery of the BFC. I initiated this post about the Kirk and the conversation to alert my Serottapals and instigate a little cross fertilization. You'll certainly see Kitty when you return for a TdFL, Part Deux!!

dbrk
Old 12-26-2003, 04:52 PM

dbrk,

you mentioned the special 155mm crank, I would like to know more about it like what brand and where did you get it.....My Daughter got an old Centurion for Christmas that has a 160mm crank on it but a 155 would fit her better......hmmm maybe it would interesting to hear about all the components, I know you said it had a suntour front derailer

Last edited by TmcDet; 12-26-2003 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:23 PM
M_A_Martin

I wasn't sure on the color,

But it came out fabulous!

Its a cute pink bike Dbrk! I shared your excitement of getting a suprise for your wife and heard enough about it on the old board to be interested in seeing it, and excited for Aimee. It was nice that you shared the suprise and result with us. Once again, part of the excitement of making certain decision is sharing that happiness with your friends. And this is partly why this board came back, the friendships and Serotta community we've forged here on the board.

I too would like to hear how you figured out the fit for Aimee without letting her in on the secret. Who knows, it might inspire someone else out there to suprise his/her SO with a new Serotta!

Have fun in Jamaica!
Ginger