Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Campy BB-crank compatiability

Can I use a Chorus or Record triple crankset with a Centaur BB?
IIRC, the Centaur BB spindle is a different length than the Chorus/
Record triple BB.

Thanks

Steve
Tucson-where its still a dry heat
Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun
Can I use a Chorus or Record triple crankset with a Centaur BB?
IIRC, the Centaur BB spindle is a different length than the Chorus/
Record triple BB.

Thanks

Steve
Tucson-where its still a dry heat
Chorus/Record triple 111mm BBs axles are 2mm longer on the drive side (I guess that makes it 56.5 right and 54.5 mm left). I suppose you could space a Centaur 111mm BB a mm to the right with a spacer under the flange, but I don't know if the crank would hit the BB itself.

I happen to have a Chorus 111 and an old ACH Centaur 111mm BB here. If I put them together such that right axle of Chorus touches the right cup of Centaur, there is about 1mm of clearance between the end of the Centaur axle and the Chorus cup.

So, if your BB threads let you move the Centaur BB a mm to the right AND the crank doesn't draw any further onto a Centaur axle AND there would be more than 1mm clearance on the Chorus axle, it looks like it might work.

There are also 115mm Centaur BBs. Again if you could space one of these a mm to the right, you should have plenty of room for the crank, so I don't see why it wouldn't work, but the Q factor would be 4mm greater.

Orin.

Last edited by Orin; 05-26-2007 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Clarified that Chorus/Record triple BB is 111mm
Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 AM

no...

oops, edited:

You need an asymmetrical 111mm spindle, not the symmetrical double version. The chainline will not be correct.

Last edited by Dave; 05-27-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks

I think I'll just stick w/ Centaur crank and BB.
There are a bunch of Record triple cranksets on Ebay right now, but it seems foolish to be locked onto a BB that costs twice as much, isn't made anymore and probably wasn't produced in large numbers when it was in production.

Steve
Old 05-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
You need a symmetrical 111mm spindle, not the asymmetrical triple version. The chainline will not be correct.
Other way around. Chorus/Record triple cranksets require an asymmetrical BB. Centaur BB is symmetrical.

Orin.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
There are a bunch of Record triple cranksets on Ebay right now, but it seems foolish to be locked onto a BB that costs twice as much, isn't made anymore and probably wasn't produced in large numbers when it was in production.

Steve
You can use the Chorus triple BB as well and when those run out, there's always Phil Wood. I wouldn't consider it a problem, especially with the Chorus triple cranks going for less than $90.

Orin.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:57 AM

other issues..

Quote:

Steve
Note my mistake, an assymetrical 111mm BB is required. The reason I don't use Campy triple cranks is the poor chainring offering and the difficulty in finding suitable replacement rings at a reasonable cost. I like a 53/39/28. I can get FSA 53/39/30 setups real cheap on E-bay and change the 30 to a 28 at little cost.