Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2022, 06:26 AM

Market Value help on this Colnago

A friend in town bought this back in the summer and probably overpaid for the frame. But he’s already ready to sell it. Frame only.

What are Colnago’s “worth” these days? I know the market is a very funny place lately. Any advice is appreciated.

Also i grabbed this pic from his Instagram, so I’m not sure how the picture quality will be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-09-2022, 06:38 AM

The aluminum Dreams, especially the earlier non-BStay ones, don't sell for that much. But given the bike shortage issue, probably $600.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
The aluminum Dreams, especially the earlier non-BStay ones, don't sell for that much. But given the bike shortage issue, probably $600.
Agree..some sold examples here

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1
Old 01-09-2022, 07:23 AM

Ok cool, thanks y’all!

Old 01-09-2022, 09:18 AM

The fact that it’s Rabobank livery in good condition helps, but dreams aren’t heavily sought after by collectors or riders. Solid bike for an aluminum frame from that era.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:00 AM

Looks like a clean example with an original Flash fork and a highly desired paint scheme (I refuse to type colxxrway).

The Dream is a really nice riding bike. If you didn't know it was aluminum, you wouldn't guess aluminum by riding it. It has a similar riding dynamic to my Spiral Conic SLX...

I've done many hard, hot 60-80 mile days on my Dream. It was my bike of choice for shipping to KC in July when I accompanied my wife to an annual conference there. And it never let me down, even in the 100° heat.

That having been said...most people will see an old aluminum bike. $600 is probably a decent target price, and a steal at that price! $800 on the Colnago FB forum. Again, the paint scheme is highly sought after...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-09-2022, 10:10 AM

See what TPC will pay for it.

Now let me put my flak jacket on!
Old 01-09-2022, 10:25 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I don’t get why the b-stay bikes are worth more - maybe just “because carbon?” The impression I had from that era of road bikes is that adding carbon stays to alloy road bikes generally made them both heavier and less reliable due to bonding issues.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
I don’t get why the b-stay bikes are worth more - maybe just “because carbon?” The impression I had from that era of road bikes is that adding carbon stays to alloy road bikes generally made them both heavier and less reliable due to bonding issues.
Dito i would pay more for full alu than carbon alu combo.

One thing about those frames is that they were notorious for having hairline cracks at the headtube. I had a nice one for sale when someone asked if it had this damaged to which i replied no ofc not after a fast inspection. Then person enlarged a photo i sent and asked me to check again and sure enough there was a super thin crack that i did not notice at first. Felt abit stupid but glad i did not sell it before realizing.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 01-09-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Agreed. In my search for a Titanio that fit, I ran across several that had bonding issues between the stay and dropout.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-09-2022, 03:16 PM

Wonder if I rode with that bike bitd on the RB’s shop rides. Rod sold Colnagos and there were a lot in that group, including some Rabobank frames. Nice build in the pic but wonder if maybe a little small for your friend with that saddle height.

I agree with the other assessments. There was a Dream on my local CL a couple years ago, 9 or 10 speed build that lingered for a while at $900-1000 but that was before the pandemic bike boom.

Edit: Just looked them up for old times sake and looks like RBs moved to Nashville some time in the past 12 years.

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 01-09-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:33 PM

Colnago market value

Have to admit...not paying much attention to the "bike shortage boom"...glad I still have my 17+ year old C50! Wow.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all this information everybody! I’m learning more about Colnagos than I ever expected. :-

Here’s a few more pictures he sent me, because who doesn’t love pictures of bikes!

Old 01-09-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
See what TPC will pay for it.

Now let me put my flak jacket on!

TPC offered $500. He’s hoping for something More than that, but he sounds pretty realistic knowing that this is not a $2000 frame or something.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
TPC offered $500. He’s hoping for something More than that, but he sounds pretty realistic knowing that this is not a $2000 frame or something.

I'd put it on the Colnago Owners Group (on FB) and if it doesn't sell there for $700-ish, take $500 from TPC.

The only thing it has going for it is the paint, but it's certainly not a show piece... I personally wouldn't be paying much over $500 for it Rabo paint or not.