Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 PM

Campy Shifters w/ sShimano Cassette?

I kind of recall someone saying they have ran a Shimano 10 speed wheel and cassette with Campy 10 speed shifters and derailers and it worked fine.

Is that true?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Old enough to know better

Shiftmate allows you to mix and match.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

'00 TiSports Titanium
'01 KHS Flite 800
‘02 Ellsworth Flight
'03 Basso Coral
'03 Specialized Allez Pro
'04 Scattante CFR Limited Edition
'05 KHS Flite 2000
'05 Serotta Fierte Steel
'06 Flyte SRS-3
'07 Pedal Force RS
Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 PM

I run 9spd Chorus w/ King hub/DA 9spd cassette and FSA crank on my CX bike, no problems.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 PM

here here...

I've ridden this setup (shimano wheel/cassette/chain--campagnolo everything else) since Shimano 10 came out.

You don't need anything fancy to make it work, just throw the wheel in, double check der. adjustment (limit screws, etc) and away you go...

Last edited by musgravecycles; 02-13-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 PM

You don't need it...in my experience

I've tried it several times, and had great results. The first time, I used my friends Ksyrium SL shimano 10spd, and just threw it on my campy drivetrain, and it worked surprisingly well. After some minor adjustments, it worked perfect. I don't know how much each wheel may differ, but in my experience, they seem interchangable, as long as you set it up correctly....but that kinda goes with everything

"Common sense is not so common!"
Old 02-14-2007, 06:20 AM

Thanks!

I knew about the shiftmate but I thought it might work without anything just wasn't sure.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Helianthus annuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelover
Thanks!

I knew about the shiftmate but I thought it might work without anything just wasn't sure.
I don't use the Shiftmate gizmo (one more gizmo on yet another set of dedicated-must-buy-the-coporate-whole-or-suffer design intention) and I'm quite happy using Campagnolo 10spd shifters on Shimano 10spd cassettes. Small adjustments are required, that's all.

dbrk
planning no more brifter bikes...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I've ridden this setup (shimano wheel/cassette/chain--campagnolo everything else) since Shimano 10 came out.

You don't need anything fancy to make it work, just throw the wheel in, double check der. adjustment (limit screws, etc) and away you go...
Quote:
I don't use the Shiftmate gizmo (one more gizmo on yet another set of dedicated-must-buy-the-coporate-whole-or-suffer design intention) and I'm quite happy using Campagnolo 10spd shifters on Shimano 10spd cassettes. Small adjustments are required, that's all.
Good to hear. Seems the party line I've heard more than a few times is OK with 9 spd---but not 10...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Helianthus annuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart
Good to hear. Seems the party line I've heard more than a few times is OK with 9 spd---but not 10...
Nine speed shifters (C or S) with opposite cassettes work better than 10. The ten are much more finicky. This is part of the reason I am working on abandoning 10 speed...I want to simply swap out wheelsets and getting things to work with the absolute minimal adjustment is always my goal.

I have 10 spd DA STI shifters for sale if anyone needs/wants them. I'm currently in too much work to make a really sincere effort to sell.

winter is when i read sanskrit more than play with bikes...procrastinating to get out on the ATV to plough a bit of snow too,

dbrk
Old 02-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where one can purchase Campy 9spd dt shifters.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Slackasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where one can purchase Campy 9spd dt shifters.
I don't know, but I really miss the aesthetic of downtube shifting.

There was something je-ne-sais-quois about friction shifting, silently moving gears, playing the strategy game.

It's like driving a manual car. Modern brifter shifting is like having a Tiptronic transmission. Not really manual, not really automatic.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
aka Terry Keele

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrk
Nine speed shifters (C or S) with opposite cassettes work better than 10. The ten are much more finicky. This is part of the reason I am working on abandoning 10 speed...I want to simply swap out wheelsets and getting things to work with the absolute minimal adjustment is always my goal.

I have 10 spd DA STI shifters for sale if anyone needs/wants them. I'm currently in too much work to make a really sincere effort to sell.

winter is when i read sanskrit more than play with bikes...procrastinating to get out on the ATV to plough a bit of snow too,

dbrk
Hey if you are going brifter-less, go deep and give up shifting all together. You could pair your collection down to 5 bikes. Road bike with fenders, without, SS CX, SS Mtb and an actual trake bike. Heck, just go with one bike. Ride to the top of the mountain, do yoga, read Sanskrit, spin home.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Helianthus annuus

!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The ten are much more finicky. This is part of the reason I am working on abandoning 10 speed...I want to simply swap out wheelsets and getting things to work with the absolute minimal adjustment is always my goal.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've only been back into road biking for about two years, but that said---it seems that the interchangability of 9 speed is very attractive, and appears to be from a functional standpoint, absolutely bulletproof. 10 speed on the other hand (by either manufacturer in my relatively limited experience) is more prone to noise and other trouble, requiring an upshift or downshift, and more fine tuning with the rear derailleur.

I am not a serious racer, so the gear spacing difference between 9 speed and 10 speed is not a significant issue for me.

If I was a little bit more cynical, I would say that they adopted 10 speed equipment to ensure that you would have to commit yourself to one or the other...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
if claude rains it pours

i live on ergo levers w dura ace cassettes
during 'cross seasons. shimano's 27t is an
important cog atmo. hey - thanks for reading.