Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 12:02 AM

Compact bike stand recommendations

Work from home and a small apartment mean not a ton of space for a bike stand.

That said, with covid waiting times for bike repair are pretty awful.

So, anyone have a recco for a bike stand that doesn't take up a ton of space and also isn't a waste of space?

Have seen a topeak one, but it gets bad reviews, even on amazon. Ideally it'll be strong enough to allow for installation and removal of a crank bolt.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:18 AM

Feedback Sports. Pick your choice of seatpost mount or BB mount. They rule for apartment wrenching.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Feedback Sports. Pick your choice of seatpost mount or BB mount. They rule for apartment wrenching.
They look very nice! But even bike repair stands are out of stock.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

2nd this. The legs can open wide or narrow. Also add the fact you can swivel the stand, instead of walking around the bike, is huge plus!

Try looking on Craigslist and eBay too. They’re well built and will last for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2020, 06:41 AM

I bought the pro level stand a couple years back and it folds up into a small foot print for storage. The stand itself was/is a game changer for me. Before this I did less of my own wrench work. Currently, there is very little I don’t do on my own and this stand is a big part of it.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:47 AM
Administrator

i'll jump on the bandwagon and say feedback also. they are very stable and fold up to take up very little space.

short of a permanent mount stand that you might see in a bike shop, i dont think the home mechanic can do any better than these.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 AM

This is what many people use here in Japan. While I have a repair stand that I also use, this is the stand I use for storing and working on my bike in my home. If you can find one where you are, they are fantastic.

It attaches to the rear skewer in 2 seconds and lifts the wheel a couple of centimetres off the ground so you can to turn the cranks. I've installed brake cables, changed handlebars, removed the crank, pretty much any task can be done with this thing, except of course one where you have to remove the rear wheel.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Rlanger's suggestion is perfect.

As per previous thread, tiny apartment and not a ton of storage. I have two closets -- luxury by some standards -- but there's not much room for a stand in either.

Anyone know of a similar product in the US?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A8%E...8442733&sr=8-5
Old 08-26-2020, 07:43 AM

This looks very similar

https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Utility.../dp/B00G7ZO3GE
Old 08-26-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusa View Post
Yeah, it's similar. Just the mounting mechanism is different. Maybe with that one you can work on the bike with the rear wheel removed because it mounts on the chainstays.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:23 AM

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C17HJ4..._UcMrFbYADZ6C1

Note this doesn't work with fat tubed bikes like my Hardtail MTB has a semi square shaped tube which doesn't play nice. My TT bike also doesn't play nice with this. But my road bike it works fine to lube the chain and do work but you gotta be careful not to bump it as it isn't as stable as that rear skewer option.

I honestly just use my trainer to do work indoors most of the time. Worked great with a fluid trainer actually but with a direct drive it's a bit more tricky since you can't turn the cranks by hand easily. Another option is a cheap mag trainer off of Craigslist or something.

A wall mount could also be used like so: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086V3KC1C..._BiMrFbW16JK2F. You could instead build your own stand around this if you'd like.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 AM

Many years ago (20 at least, probably closer to 25 or 30 years), Blackburn made an extruded aluminum stand. It weighs about 5-8 lbs, holds a normal fork bike (no through axle, nothing too rear heavy like a downhill bike), compacts into a thing that resembles a 2x4 that's about 3 feet long. You might be able to find one for sale. I have one from when it was new and although I've owned plenty of other stands, this is the one I use the most.

The pictures are from when we lived in an apartment. No faucet outside for us so I used buckets of water, water bottle, to degrease / clean drivetrain.

Details of the stand: http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...workstand.html

Laying on top of a bucket, legs are still inside:

Legs stored inside:

In action:
Old 08-26-2020, 09:37 AM

Can't go wrong with the Feedback Sports stands.

I have an early version of their Pro Elite stand (when it was under the Ultimate brand) and got the Sprint stand a couple of years ago. I use both of them but I think my favorite is the Sprint stand. It is very stable and is perfect for adjusting and washing/cleaning.

I live in a small house so these are perfect and fold up to minimal size for storing.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by many_styles View Post
2nd this. The legs can open wide or narrow. Also add the fact you can swivel the stand, instead of walking around the bike, is huge plus!

Try looking on Craigslist and eBay too. They’re well built and will last for a long time.

That'd be the sprint model. Got that myself, though I prefer the tube clamp models.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:52 AM

In my condo, space is at a premium so I keep my Feedback Sprint and Pro-Elite under my bed. Easy to access and doesn't use closet space. The Sprint stand being the smaller of the two, storage wise.