Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 PM
drunk again

Help me start a bike shop......

I am really thinking of starting a small 2 owner boutique store. I have been in this business long enough that I absolutly have no intentions of being rich, just working for myself. Since I hold the majority of the peoples opinions here in high regards ( tell me about it ) I would like to hear what things YOU would want. Things that businesses are doing well and doing terrible.

FYI I would like to carry one custom bike builder ( I could only dream of serotta ) and some other small builders. The idea would be not to have more than a six prebuilt bikes and another half dozen frames for customer's dream builds. Only repairs on store bought bikes and the local friend. This will be somewhere that you would want to just stop buy and say high because your in the neighborhood.

Any way, thanks in advance and I look forward to what ideas ya'll have.

Last edited by pdxmech13; 01-04-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: bad post sorry.....
Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
commuter racer

Have cute stuff that people need or want to buy, like Castelli wool socks. I never thought Molly's Veloshop would survive when I first went in there, but it seems to be doing well, catering to messangers and racer friends.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 PM

free coffee.

don't be blinded by the light...

it's one thing never to be rich and completely another to starve while working 60 hours a week. I believe unless you are ready to attack it (in a nice way of course) you'll eat it. Margins are sucky, the internet is not your friend, competition is stiff, you can give away the store thinking you will have the time to kibbitz with the neighborhood.

But...with a well thought out business plan and a good mission you could make it work.

I have recently been researching latex foam mattresses locally and on the net. So much hype and double talk. Seems like an opportunity to compete with the truth. Think I'd rather sell mattresses than bikes these days.
drunk again

I won't say where I'm planning this but poopoo on portland. I wouldn't start a shop there if you gave me a million bucks too through away.

Last edited by pdxmech13; 01-04-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmech13
I won't say where I'm planning this but F**K portland. I wouldn't start a shop there if you gave me a million bucks too through away.
Wow buddy? It must be happy hour...and oh yes it is! I thought this was a great cycling town..?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Bike Fitter

I always thought a coffee shop within a bike store would be intriguing , ride starts and finishes would be good. All you need from my past rep days is maybe a low end line , a mid price point line and a high end line. I'd stay away from the BIG boys that will force you to buy on finance like TREK.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM
drunk again

Cool............this town needs another bike peddler like it needs more vegans or punks
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
if claude rains it pours

Quote:
Cool............this town needs another bike peddler like it needs more vegans or punks
"This will be somewhere that you would
want to just stop buy and say high..."

how's the meth scene in portland atmo?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
drunk again

oh it's still on a all time high
Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 PM

It sounds like you are describing Vecchio's in Boulder

http://www.vecchios.com/
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM

You needn't be wealthy...

but the community where you set up shop should be. As long as it has a robust or growing cycling lifestyle too.

I like the minimalist cycle shop, but I think there has to be a calculated decision as to the extent you’re willing to go, peddling less. Meaning, if you’re truly going to cater only to die-hard cyclists, then maybe all you sell are the bikes they demand and the accessories the buyer and you select during the fitting and building process. Very little else is hanging from the rafters, hanging on racks, or kept in display cases. The business is focused on a customer and on a bicycle being built for him.

Do you carry wardrobe? Pearl Izumi or Ralpha? Your customers might want or wish you had carried the typical stuff they commonly see in other shops. Are you okay with the idea that your best customer Bob who bought 3 bikes from you is now visiting Acme Cycle, across town, buying his Powerbars, some eyewear and, oh, that sweet wheelset on sale?

I can see a “bikebuilder” operating with a space similar to what you might see from a guitar or watchmaker, but they aren’t shops to the extent most Joe-blow customers are willing to accept. I think these type of artisans do better in or near big cities, where discerning customers know what they’re getting themselves into and know where to find it.

That said, I wish the local shops here had a safe place to hold my bike while I stepped inside to buy a coffee, flap some lip, and maybe check out the newest latest and greatest, but then maybe a shop owner doesn’t want a bunch a guys hanging around distracting his help, either.

Good luck with it.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I am really thinking of starting a small 2 owner boutique store. I have been in this business long enough that I absolutly have no intentions of being rich, just working for myself. Since I hold the majority of the peoples opinions here in high regards ( tell me about it ) I would like to hear what things YOU would want. Things that businesses are doing well and doing terrible.

FYI I would like to carry one custom bike builder ( I could only dream of serotta ) and some other small builders. The idea would be not to have more than a six prebuilt bikes and another half dozen frames for customer's dream builds. Only repairs on store bought bikes and the local friend. This will be somewhere that you would want to just stop buy and say high because your in the neighborhood.

Any way, thanks in advance and I look forward to what ideas ya'll have.
I think its a great idea and I wish you much success...

If you want my opinion (I'm gonna give to you either way) a repair shop that CARES about fixing peoples bikes will bring you much business. I have found that I stay away from bike stores now because of all the horror stories I have seen by uncaring, sloppy bike store wrenches.

I was a Team in Training cycle coach for a few years and inevitably, I'd be fixing the participants bikes after they came back from being serviced, repaired or having stuff "done" to their bikes. I cannot tell you how many stupid things or just forgetful things bike mechanics can and will do.

Fix every bike that comes in your shop. Whether it be a Townie or a Serotta Ottrott. Do as good a job on the 25 year old rusted out Schwinn as you do on the high $$$ bling bikes and you will have a loyal customer base that will keep coming back, year after year.

Again, good luck!

Steve
Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Some advice from someone who knows nothing about bike shops:

Try to keep your fixed costs (e.g. rent) as low as possible, but still have a good location. (I know, not easy to do.)

My LBS had the A1 primo location in a fairly high-zoot strip mall and I'm guessing that the rent is just eating them alive. I have no idea how they can make it.

Louis
Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 PM
modulated

Steve is right - focus on repairs.

My advice is to lose the partner unless you trust him more than your wife. Splitting up with a business partner is worse than a D.I.V.O.R.C.E., according to my smart friends.

Vecchio's in Boulder is one example - with two partners - that seems to work. Il Vecchio in Seattle is a good example of a strong one-man show, imhco.