Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2006, 04:51 PM

Bitten by Dog

Well, after many close calls, it finally happened. I was bitten by a dog today on a ride. I was in LaPorte County in NW Indiana (on 1000N near 150E for Midwesterners). He came out of nowhere and was intent on getting in a bite. I tried my usually successful deep loud yell of "Go home" and then "Sit" but neither worked. I was able to unclip before he got me so my only wound is a deep bruise and the skin did not break (three layers - tights, knee warmers, and thick socks). Once he got in his bite he ignored me, and I was able to ride home.

Tomorrow I am sticking to the farm country of Michigan, where dogs tend to stay in their yards!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab123
Well, after many close calls, it finally happened. I was bitten by a dog today on a ride. I was in LaPorte County in NW Indiana (on 1000N near 150E for Midwesterners). He came out of nowhere and was intent on getting in a bite. I tried my usually successful deep loud yell of "Go home" and then "Sit" but neither worked. I was able to unclip before he got me so my only wound is a deep bruise and the skin did not break (three layers - tights, knee warmers, and thick socks). Once he got in his bite he ignored me, and I was able to ride home.

Tomorrow I am sticking to the farm country of Michigan, where dogs tend to stay in their yards!
I sort of like dogs which are well-behaved and friendly. But dogs like this pi$$ me off. The owners pi$$ me off even more because they

1. Don't care
2. Think it's funny
3. "That's what you get for riding a bike on the open road."

It is a mentality of the owners. I never go on a rural ride in the US where I am not constantly vigilant. But in 15 years in Europe I NEVER ONCE had a bad experience with a dog, even in the most remote parts of back country Switzerland or in even remoter parts of le Var, north of Toulon.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

I am glad to hear that you are ok.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman
Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Take Action !
Old 12-29-2006, 07:00 PM

You owe it to your fellow cyclists to report this incident to the responsible local authority. The next rider might not get so lucky. It would be very unfortunate and tragic if the sitution is not addressed and the next episode involves a crash or serious harm to someone.

C'mon, it will only take a few minutes to pick up the phone and call.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 PM

A local got bite by a dog. No skin break, but the dog brought him down, hitting his head on the road. 5 - 6 months to recover from his head injury.

Report the dog and the owners if you know them and be persistant with the officer for a result.

Glad your ok.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:30 PM

*Got bit (Florida) Feb. 2003, three puncture wounds (had to get stitches), homeowners policy excluded dog bites. No proof of rabies either; they actually tried to claim the dog wasn't theirs. I knew the Sheriff who came out to make the report. He checked daily that they were keeping the dog in quarantine. In our county, quarantine meant the dog was tied to a tree in the back yard for 10 days. (The dog was a German Shepherd in the 105 lb. area.)

*Got taken down by another dog in Georgia, June 2003; concussion, whiplash, scraps and bruises, broken Giro helmet (saved me), torn up PI shorts. No leash law in the part of GA I was biking in.

Both incidents happened out in the country and both times I got stuck with the emergency room and equipment (replacement) bills. All I wanted was reimbursed for what I lost; got nothing, I paid for everything. The Sheriff in the Florida case made sure the people were aware of the consequences (by his repeated visits) of not restraining their dog. Other than that...nothing.

Glad you are okay.
RA

Last edited by RABikes2; 12-29-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Barry1021

Reason #143 why

I prefer cats.....

b21
Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Is this roundtrip?

I dunno...Hampsten's cat could cause some damage...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Everything is connected

Nine years ago, my then four year old daughter was attacked and mauled in our yard by the neighbor's "child friendly" English Springer Spaniel. This occurred as my wife was working in the yard, about thirty feet away from two of our kids.

As the wound was too dirty to be totally closed with stitches, my wife spent the next eight weeks carefully nursing the wound so that it could close naturally. My daughter has an indentation and a scar which cannot be dealt with until she is eighteen.

People who allow their dogs to roam unleashed outside of their yards assume a responsibility beyond their belief. When you have an incident such as this occur, notify the police and demand that the dog owner's insurance company be notified as well. From my experience, it's one strike and you're out with your insurance company regarding animal injuries.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 PM

Go...

get'm. Bite them both back, dog and owner.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 12-30-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider
You owe it to your fellow cyclists to report this incident to the responsible local authority. The next rider might not get so lucky. It would be very unfortunate and tragic if the sitution is not addressed and the next episode involves a crash or serious harm to someone.

C'mon, it will only take a few minutes to pick up the phone and call.

CNY Rider - I did report the incident to the local authorities. There is a great bike organization out here that reports all incidents to the county officials, who actually follow up.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 AM
What? Where?!

Quote:
I did report the incident to the local authorities. There is a great bike organization out here that reports all incidents to the county officials, who actually follow up.

-s
Old 12-30-2006, 10:52 AM
sparkly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
I dunno...Hampsten's cat could cause some damage...
HEY now!! you're right though, he parks himself right in the traffic flow where you can trip over him. . .but couldn't catch a moving bike to save his life, luckily. . .

sorry to hear about the nasty incident, tab123, it is frightening to have a dog rushing up to you intent on biting. glad you reported it.

julia
Old 12-30-2006, 12:11 PM
SWMO Atmo.

I have seen two cases on Judge Judy where cyclists were messed up by dogs and both cases the cyclist won. Judy explained everthing very well and the owners came up with all sorts of excuses why it was not their fault. "He was riding his bike 50 miles from his house." etc.