Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2019, 06:38 AM

One bike advice

I know, many threads in this and I have already searched and given them a look.

While the info has been informative and helps, my particular situation may help those who have an opinion on a single bike that, mostly, does it all.

I'm 48, long past racing and have two kids in middle and high school that participate in many activities some of which I coach. My riding doesn't require a powermeter or lightweight wheels but I'll do my best occasionally to jam like I am 20 and there are a lot of hills around here.

Basically, I can get out for an hour or so here and there on my local, wonderful Finger Lakes region backroads but 3 hour rides are rare. It would be great to have a bike to ride on decent dirt roads near the in-laws Adirondack camp as well. I bought one of those awesome seat packs that you can jam overnight stuff in to credit card around Lake Ontario if I get motivated as well.

Velotel rides that Eriksen everywhere, someone local suggested the Surly Bridge Club, I have enough parts with disc or long reach brakes to build up a frame (Black Mountain road?) IF Gravel Royale looks cool, too.

I don't need the latest tech, high performance or flash. I can spend a few bucks because, let's be realistic, I'm not going to wear it out and it will probably get more use when my youngest departs for college in 6 years, about the time I plan on retiring. I like metal and steel is cheaper than titanium, my road bike that doesn't get enough love is an aluminum Rock Lobster.

So send me your ideas and why you think they offer a 85% solution which is good enough in my book, I may have already checked them out but maybe you know just what I'm looking for so clue me in. Or, maybe you are in a similar situation and can offer your experiences.

I have been on the forum since 2004 and truly value the people here, over the years you have been a great source of info so thanks in advance, my friends.

Pat
Old 06-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Randomhead

I always am tempted by the Warbird, but there are so many all-road bikes that it's hard to pick between them. I would be happy with 40mm tires like I have on my All City Macho Man Disc right now. Specifically, Maxxis Velocitas. I rode a 600km brevet on that bike with some reasonably high speed pacelines. Might have slowed my accelerations down just a little, the group I was with would always sprint away from every slowdown, and that got tiresome after a while. OTOH, I chased them down after I dropped my phone, so it didn't slow me down too much.

That bike is probably the least capable all-road bike imaginable, but I have put a lot of miles on it, mostly gravel. But I have also done long road rides as well. I would go with discs for that kind of bike. Maybe that's just because of the local conditions, our gravel is either steep up or steep down. Having discs is a real benefit. I feel a lot more confident knowing I can stop.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 AM

Live near fingerlakes and have already decided one last custom will be ti (Im 63) and although I have no disc road bikes this one will have and it will have room for tires in the 35mm range. Ti seems the best combo of durability with performance on all surfaces and it can be had with no paint (etched or anodized looks attractive). Your mileage may vary...…….
Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
. It would be great to have a bike to ride on decent dirt roads near the in-laws Adirondack camp as well.
Quote:
I have enough parts with disc or long reach brakes to build up a frame (Black Mountain road?)
Quote:
I don't need the latest tech, high performance or flash.
Pat pal, I think you have answered your own question.

There are bikes that can take 32-35mm tires like Hampsten Strada Bianca and some of the older steel bikes. Are they good enough for you on the dirt roads that you are talking about? Only you can answer that, don't look at other folks who say they can. Different people have different tolerance level.

Last edited by weisan; 06-30-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:12 AM

If the many, many bikes I’ve owned, I think a titanium all road is the one bike solution. In my current stable, it would be my Seven Evergreen. Light enough for spirited road riding and stable for off-roads, even some single track. It is a disc which makes it easier to negotiate loose gravel and rocky trails.

Seven makes these in 0.5 cm increments, so you can really get your ideal fit. Mine is the S model and pics in the gallery.

There are others that make bikes in a similar vein, like Mosiac and No. 22.

If you want to go carbon, I really like the Trek Boone.

Note, I write the above even though I would hate to give up my Parlee and Eriksen road bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2019, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpat View Post
I know, many threads in this and I have already searched and given them a look.

While the info has been informative and helps, my particular situation may help those who have an opinion on a single bike that, mostly, does it all.

I'm 48, long past racing and have two kids in middle and high school that participate in many activities some of which I coach. My riding doesn't require a powermeter or lightweight wheels but I'll do my best occasionally to jam like I am 20 and there are a lot of hills around here.

Basically, I can get out for an hour or so here and there on my local, wonderful Finger Lakes region backroads but 3 hour rides are rare. It would be great to have a bike to ride on decent dirt roads near the in-laws Adirondack camp as well. I bought one of those awesome seat packs that you can jam overnight stuff in to credit card around Lake Ontario if I get motivated as well.

Velotel rides that Eriksen everywhere, someone local suggested the Surly Bridge Club, I have enough parts with disc or long reach brakes to build up a frame (Black Mountain road?) IF Gravel Royale looks cool, too.

I don't need the latest tech, high performance or flash. I can spend a few bucks because, let's be realistic, I'm not going to wear it out and it will probably get more use when my youngest departs for college in 6 years, about the time I plan on retiring. I like metal and steel is cheaper than titanium, my road bike that doesn't get enough love is an aluminum Rock Lobster.

So send me your ideas and why you think they offer a 85% solution which is good enough in my book, I may have already checked them out but maybe you know just what I'm looking for so clue me in. Or, maybe you are in a similar situation and can offer your experiences.

I have been on the forum since 2004 and truly value the people here, over the years you have been a great source of info so thanks in advance, my friends.

Pat
Talk to Richard Schwinn..I'm sure you and he can come up with a design that will 'get you there'...add a couple of sets of wheels...dirt and asfelt...and you are good to go..Yup, probably discs, mechanical shifting, 2 by and gearing/crank/ders that fill the squares.
Quote:
I like metal and steel is cheaper than titanium, my road bike that doesn't get enough love is an aluminum Rock Lobster.
Quote:
I can spend a few bucks
Steel will last forever but titanium is a great material for a lifetime, do anything, durable bike

Moots Vamoots DR comes to mind..yup..$$

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-30-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Here is what I would look for in a 1 bike solution:

2x drivetrain for wider range comfortable road gearing
Clearance up to 35 tires
Would not want one of those bikes with geometry for the backcountry - still want it fun to ride on the road

Some suggestions:

Budgetish - Cannondale Topstone 105. Would upgrade wheels if have the funds. The nice wheels would have tires for whatever discipline I do most. The other wheels would have the opposite tires for quick changes.

A little more - Salsa Warroad Ultegra

Upscale - go crazy with your favorite builder.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Davis Carver do you right

http://carverbikes.com/frames/ti-all-road/
Old 06-30-2019, 08:20 AM
extremely tall

Budget friendly + steel: BMC MCD
More $$ + carbon: Open U.P.

Personally for the scenario you describe I’d do the BMC with two sets of wheels.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 AM

No drama; just buy a cyclocross frame, use your existing box of parts, and pair it with a set of road wheels with skinnier tires and a set with wider tires for your off-pavement excursions.

Be sure the frame has fittings for a rack and fenders, for when your needs change.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:28 AM

I have owned MANY fine bikes but I am down to a 2001 Marin Rift Zone 26" fs mtn. bike and the Rivendell Rambouillet I bought new 20 years ago or so. 3x9 Ultegra, 32 hole Open Pros on Ultegra hubs, Nitto Noodles on Technomic stem. Brakes are mid-reach so it takes 35mm tires with room to spare. It has eyelets for fenders and racks. Mine is a 62cm frame so I can hang a huge saddle bag from my B-17 without needing a rack or fender to keep it off my rear tire. If you can find one of these or the similar Romulus I think you will have all your requirements met.

Check with our esteemed DBRK in Bristol to see if he knows where you might find such a bike in The Finger Lakes.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Everything is connected

I have three steel (road, fender bike (Poprad) and rails/trails (85" Stumpy)) bikes but I miss the Ti Legend that I sold a few years ago. First for its ride quality and second for ease of cleaning in the Winter and Spring slop.

If I could narrow it down to one bike to meet the standards that you've described and be a bit loose with the budget, I'd build a Ti bike with discs, fenders and room for 32-25mm tires. If my budget were impacted by future tuition payments, I'd build the same bike in steel. If tuition payments and world political and economic unrest were both an issue, I'd modify my Poprad and be happy.

Lastly, there are a ton of S Diverges and similar bikes on my local CL that are quite tempting to try. Perhaps pick one up and try the disc and fatter tire experience first without having to buy a new bike.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Ritchey Outback.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:36 AM

the zanconato road 32 FS here seems to check all the boxes, that would be a one bike stable kinda bike for me if i had to do such a thing

dont need more than 32s for some mild gravel trails. heck, i do the craziest stuff i have here on 32s.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 06-30-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 AM

Of course, custom is the ultimate spend. Catch Tom @ Spectrum before he retires! Then of course, there's no 22, Moots and other custom folks.

On a less spendy level, one that has caught my eye is the Bearclaw Thunderhawk. (Anyone seen one in person?) Reasonably priced so it doesn't feel so precious. And yes, Carver or Habanero are also great way to go to get exactly what you want without too much splash.