Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 AM

Restoring classic steel bikes

Question for the steel aficionados, especially those who've restored frames in poor shape.

I was looking at restoring a relatively rare frame - - nice repaint and chroming. However, it turns out the rust is bad enough on the top tube that tube will likely need to be replaced.

Have any of you guys had this done? My initial reaction is that this is beyond restoring a bike, but replacing or changing it.

What's your take or experience with this?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Ship of Theseus man.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
Question for the steel aficionados, especially those who've restored frames in poor shape.

I was looking at restoring a relatively rare frame - - nice repaint and chroming. However, it turns out the rust is bad enough on the top tube that tube will likely need to be replaced.

Have any of you guys had this done? My initial reaction is that this is beyond restoring a bike, but replacing or changing it.

What's your take or experience with this?
Bilenky replaces top tubes for $250. Many experienced builders offer this service. It comes down to an emotional attachment to a bike and if it's worth restoring to a rideable condition or making it wall art.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Ship of Theseus man.
Flash I always enjoy your comments lol Thanks for not disappointing. The fog has lifted.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Bilenky replaces top tubes for $250. Many experienced builders offer this service. It comes down to an emotional attachment to a bike and if it's worth restoring to a rideable condition or making it wall art.
Good point. I'm not the original owner, so the emotional attachment isn't there. It'd just be a cool frame to restore, but tube replacement gives me pause. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM

Just to get super meta, the bike is never the same. It's always changing. Enjoy it for what it is and what it becomes, but don't fret about freezing it in amber for all time.

If you like it and want to ride it, then swap the tube. Otherwise, you've got some wall art.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM

"And you may tell yourself, this in not my beautiful wife"

I have no advice
Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 AM

I went through this decision process after crashing on a Gios Torino Super Record. A local, well-respected frame builder counseled that to replace tubes and repaint would cost more than finding a comparable used vintage frame. Unless its sentimentally more valuable than the money, not usually worth it.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM

If it's relatively rare (like you said), if it fits you well, if you like it a lot, then absolutely go for it. I would have no qualms replacing multiple tubes if that's what it takes to make it rideable and reliable again.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Ship of Theseus man.
Reminds me of the classic "Longhood" 911 community. Since these cars were not galvanized, they were prone to rust and some guys would buy 911S and RS tubs that were too far gone to save, cut out the VIN plate and build a new car around it. The rationale for the delusional was that since the VIN plate was salvaged it was still an "S" or even better, an "RS".
Old 06-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Replace top tube

So you go and replace the top tube, but in the middle of the job they find more corrosion. I dont see how the corrosion would be limited to the top tube. If the bike has a compromised top tube, my guess is that the rest of the tubes are in similar or degrading condition

I would suggest finding a frame in better condition

Ray
Old 06-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
I went through this decision process after crashing on a Gios Torino Super Record. A local, well-respected frame builder counseled that to replace tubes and repaint would cost more than finding a comparable used vintage frame. Unless its sentimentally more valuable than the money, not usually worth it.
I agree. I might do it for a frame I had raced or toured extensively to preserve an old friend but restorations of old bike, cars, boats, and motorcycles usually cost more time/money than these things will be worth when finished.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Reminds me of the classic "Longhood" 911 community. Since these cars were not galvanized, they were prone to rust and some guys would buy 911S and RS tubs that were too far gone to save, cut out the VIN plate and build a new car around it. The rationale for the delusional was that since the VIN plate was salvaged it was still an "S" or even better, an "RS".
Right. See also '914/6'.

We all know what opinions are like, but mine on this practice is that it is fundamentally dishonest if undisclosed and just opportunistic otherwise. Keep the VIN on the tub, build it to whatever spec you want, and call it a tribute car or replica instead.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I agree that some 911 fanboys are irrational. Hardly the same as replacing a top tube for approximately $250 especially on a restoration project including new paint.

Last edited by nickl; 06-04-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM

I think it depends how much damage is there, how widespread it is. I bought a Bilenky tandem here last year with a small corrosion hole in the stoker seat tube close to the FD. That corrosion was fairly localized (one advantage of the seat tube is that you can easily inspect it - I imagine a boroscope might be used for other tubes). I felt fine doing a home brew repair. I drilled the hole out to 1/8" to get clean edges, then cleaned out the inside of the tube to get any loose rust out. I rolled up some bronze screen and pushed it down the tube so as to go past the hole about 2" in each direction, to act as reinforcing for the 5 minute epoxy I injected through the hole, first with the hole facing up, then rotated the frame 180 degrees and did the same with the hole facing down.