Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 08:14 PM

Durable Road Tubular Tire Suggestion Needed

My latest fun-bike project idea will include repurposing some carbon tubular wheels I have that are collecting dust. I’d like some tires with good puncture resistance. After a a bit of searching, it looks like Gatorskins are a good option. I’ve never searched for tires like this, any suggestions? I will want them in a 23 or 25 size.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:24 PM

No. Just no.

Decent tires with some sealant is quite a lot of protection and they won't ride like cut garden hoses.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:30 PM

If you’re going to ride tubulars ride good ones. Crappy tubulars are worse than clinchers, which are better than ever.

As for durability, I never had an issue with Veloflex.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 PM
ZhugeLiang

vittoria corsa elite 25mm tubular
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Schwalbe One tubular. I put these on last January and rode everything and everywhere, gravel, chip seal, sloppy winter roads. I finally flatted the rear last month with about 2000 miles on them. Granted I was riding a gravel road with some new jagged gravel and cut the tire so yea I was probably abusing the tires. Their size does run small I used the 700x30 that measured out to 27.8 so that was disappointing. They are not super supple like Veloflex but they do last and feel good at 75 psi rear and 65psi front and I weigh 160lb. I bought them from Weiggle for $58.00 a piece so you may want to try them out at that price. Oh they do glue on easy and nice and straight, and make sure the valve core is tighten up. I thought I had a leak after I replaced the one that flated but it was only the valve core stem.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 PM

No Gator Skins, as mentioned sagely above, (or Tufos), which make GS look like Clement Setas.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 PM

vittoria corsa elite will be an excellent choice .. but not easy to get now .. i heard it discontinued. the replacement .. vittoria rubino pro graphene is good as well but the rolling resistance is not quite on par with corsa elite
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 PM

This is exactly the crash course in tubular tire choice I didn't know I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
Schwalbe One tubular. I put these on last January and rode everything and everywhere, gravel, chip seal, sloppy winter roads. I finally flatted the rear last month with about 2000 miles on them. Granted I was riding a gravel road with some new jagged gravel and cut the tire so yea I was probably abusing the tires. Their size does run small I used the 700x30 that measured out to 27.8 so that was disappointing. They are not super supple like Veloflex but they do last and feel good at 75 psi rear and 65psi front and I weigh 160lb. I bought them from Weiggle for $58.00 a piece so you may want to try them out at that price. Oh they do glue on easy and nice and straight, and make sure the valve core is tighten up. I thought I had a leak after I replaced the one that flated but it was only the valve core stem.
The Pro One tubeless clinchers have been my tire of choice for some time, and they run big...go figure their tubulars run small...definitely on my list of candidates.

Thanks all for the feedback. I've got a Challenge Criterium and a Conti Sprinter (22) laying around i can mount until I make up my mind. Sealant is a must! In tubulars I would use Orange Seal Endurance. It does actually last a long time, as I have recently discovered. This should be a fun project. Pictures to come.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 AM
Everything is connected

Veloflex junkie here...Vlaanderen are my tire of choice. I do have Vittoria Paves on my rain bike and they've been very reliable as well, but they're discontinued. I have used Continental Competitions with no issues but you need to be a real he man/woman to stretch and mount them.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
I'm curious about these since they're about half the price of Vlaanderens. I know it doesn't matter much for tubulars but which rim were the Schwalbes mounted on? I don't have a lot of clearance to play with so would like to make sure they fit before purchasing a pair.

Did they stretch out to 30mm eventually? I know that is common with Schwalbe tubeless/clinchers.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
No longer made but still available as are 25mm Vittoria Paves in 25mm..also the latest gen Vittoria, like these. 'Strange' poster..tho...

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...es-107091.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...yre-92388.html
Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 AM

Veloflex is the "King of Tubulars"... as long as you don't need a cross model or something of excessive width, pick the width that accommodates your needs and don't look back.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Go with the Gaterskins, they are really good tubulars for anyone who needs a tough on. Heck, go a little wider and less pressure and they feel better than some of the high dollar race tubulars.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 AM

Just replying back about the width and what wheels I run. The Schwalbe 1 are supposed to be a 30 but never stretched out past 27.8. I have these on old Campy Nucleon wheels I don't know the width of the rim though they are 15 year old beater winter wheels. I would like to try the Challenge Strada Bianca (sp) 30 tubular, but I have not heard but feed back on them.
Have a great day.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Veloflex junkie here...Vlaanderen are my tire of choice. I do have Vittoria Paves on my rain bike and they've been very reliable as well, but they're discontinued. I have used Continental Competitions with no issues but you need to be a real he man/woman to stretch and mount them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No longer made but still available as are 25mm Vittoria Paves in 25mm..also the latest gen Vittoria, like these. 'Strange' poster..tho...

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...es-107091.html Shows only in 23s; for your purpose I'd stay at 25 or even 27

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...yre-92388.html
mmmm Paves.

Yes to Vittoria Corsa Elites in 25mm if you can find them as an all-around winter training tire. I've read the Vlaanderen is an amazing tire, but pricier. The old Vittoria Pave to which OldPotatoe linked is still a favorite; the green striped ones were the classics (pun intended)..

I still have a few tubulars hanging in the basement (my last purchase was Vlaanderen's but waiting for tires already glued on wheels to wear through so I haven't actually ridden a set yet) so I'm not on top of the most current offerings from Vittoria, and haven't used Schwalbes.

Last edited by teleguy57; 10-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.