Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2004, 12:05 PM

Compact Campy parts

http://www.velonews.com/tech/researc...es/5973.0.html
Old 04-28-2004, 04:53 PM

Good news and bad news

While very happy to see a Campy compact crank and to see that they are building a system, I am not thrilled at having to buy new sprockets (just got some... and I have multiple wheelsets) as well as new derailleurs.

Not clear from the article if you have to get a new rear Dr as well.

Any idea on which BBs will be compatible? Hate the idea of having to replace my Phil triple. But, I would do so in a heartbeat for a splined BB.

Scott, who's not pleased by the sight of DuraAce cranks on Campy bikes. The horror!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Campy or Walk

Scott, I think you may have misunderstood the article. I do not think you'll need new sprockets (cogs) but rather that the compact crank will not accept current chainrings due to the smaller bolt circle diameter. I imagine that the current bottom brackets will work just fine with the compact cranks but you will be out of luck with your Phil, it's a triple and the compacts are doubles and I don't think Campy will ever go to a splined or Isis type BB.The exciting thing here to me is that the Centuar group is getting a carbon crank. Now nobody will have to use an FSA crank just to have an affordable carbon crank. Dilluting a Campy group is bad for the zen of the bike. Sorry Doug, that's just the way I see it.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:57 PM
JohnS

I wonder if Campy will be selling retrofit new radius FR cages. I just put a 48t Stronglight on my bike and wonder if it would help shifting, not that it's that bad.