Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Adjusting approach to conventional road riding

EDIT: I really appreciate all the perspectives shared here. I'm not ready to give up on road riding. But I am committing to being more selective about when and where I ride in order to reduce the statistical likelihood of ending up dead or disabled. And I apologize for the stereotyping below - most people in most places are good and gracious - and likewise, driving like a complete jackhole is not the sole domain of any one tribe, type of vehicle, or whatever...

Be well friends.

---------

This is my rant. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I've generally gone numb to the prickish behavior of motorists I encounter on most of my rides. I've learned to ride very defensively, to expect right and left hooks, etc. I've even shrugged off d-bags with hyper inferiority-complexes who think their manhood is somehow confirmed by rolling diesel in my face.

But four times today I almost got intentionally hit or run off the road, and it's just gotten under my skin more than ever before. So much so that I actually told my wife about it...a dicey move considering she already doesn't like me riding on the road...and am pretty much feeling like I want to just focus on gravel, cross, and mtb - with an occasional organized road event.

And when I say intentionally hit or run off the road, I mean situations where there was no reason at all for a $100K BMW to give me 6-inches of clearance at 50-60mph, with me going 35mph in a 40mph zone, or someone in an expensive big-a$$ truck pulling up behind me and then flooring their diesel while swerving toward me just for fun, or someone swerving into oncoming traffic and then back over and into the bike lane right in front of me rather than waiting 20 seconds until it was safe to pass. Oh, and the topper, I'm going 35-40mph down a hill in a 35mph zone - I get a big gust of wind off a truck going in the opposite direction up the hill, probably going 60mph, and that wind gives me a speed wobble, so I slow down a bit and the car behind me lays on their horn like I've spoiled their day by slowing down to 30mph for 100ft.

I just don't get the animosity and general loathsome behavior of people in cars. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Maybe I'm overly sensitive today for some reason. But goddamit, I don't want to be a statistic. And as much as I love riding road bikes, I'm seriously having a hard time justifying it at this point. There are other ways to enjoy two-wheel fun. I guess its time to go find them.

/rant-off

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-15-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:04 PM

Sorry to hear your day went this way. 4 times in one ride would pi$$ me off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 03:11 PM

I rode 60 mi gravel last weekend met 4 cars zero from behind. That why I’m off the hard surface roads.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Glad you made it home alright. I have gravitated towards riding trails and such because of douchey drivers. I had a big truck buzz me yesterday without anybody on the opposite side of the road. It’s quite a frustrating feeling when we as cyclists don’t get any space or people intentionally come too close.

At least there are great choices for gravel and mountain bikes these days. I really enjoy the dirt and gravel roads where I live and prefer them these days to the pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 03:21 PM

You have way too many bikes to give up road riding.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

I had pretty much only good experiences when I was out in PDX a few years ago for a few months. Very respectful for the most part but there are assholes everywhere.

I have had some bad experiences lately and why I made that thread "everyone hates us" because this past month it really feels to me that everyone hates cyclists. I don't have an answer but I sure as **** not going to stop doing what I like because of some aholes.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
That didn't stop me... so several folks here are riding 'ex-thwart' bikes...
Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I've had way too many bikes. I currently only have three. One of which is a gravel/cross rig. And I'd (painfully) let one of the other two go if need be...
Old 07-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I had pretty much only good experiences when I was out in PDX a few years ago for a few months. Very respectful for the most part but there are assholes everywhere.

I have had some bad experiences lately and why I made that thread "everyone hates us" because this past month it really feels to me that everyone hates cyclists. I don't have an answer but I sure as **** not going to stop doing what I like because of some aholes.
Thanks for the commissary. I don't want to stop either. Maybe just shift focus and add in some other two-wheel fun to reduce the statistical exposure rate.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I rode 60 mi gravel last weekend met 4 cars zero from behind. That why I’m off the hard surface roads.
Unfortunately...I'm not in Iowa...but I do think there are good places to gravel/fire-road ride here...at least as long as I'm in Portland anyway...just have to drive to them is all...
Old 07-14-2018, 03:35 PM

I like to believe that the more people there are riding their bikes on their roads, the better it's going to get, but there's a ton of anger in the US right now (and I'm not immune to it either).

If a truck farts smoke at you or tries to run you off the road, I don't think it's out of line to call the the 1-800 'how's my driving?' number and tell whoever answers the phone, "It sucks."
Old 07-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
I like to believe that the more people there are riding their bikes on their roads, the better it's going to get, but there's a ton of anger in the US right now (and I'm not immune to it either).

If a truck farts smoke at you or tries to run you off the road, I don't think it's out of line to call the the 1-800 'how's my driving?' number and tell whoever answers the phone, "It sucks."
It's not box-vans, it's the jackholes who drive these illegal pieces of ****:

Old 07-14-2018, 03:47 PM

I wish there was a way to make a national database to log these encounters with aggresive drivers to see trends. These people are probably doing these illegal acts daily.

On the other hand, people who ride bikes need to take care of their own business and ask each other to follow traffic law. Don't give more fuel to the fire.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM

Hey clean...Whats your saddle height SHoes size? Height?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:18 PM

This is a lot of why I don't ride much down here in Mississippi. Roads are crappy and narrow, and most people are okay but there's a series of jackholes that behave the same way.