Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 09:55 AM

10 speed Record or 11 speed Potenza?

I had one Campy equipped bike about 6 years ago. It had 10 speed Chorus with aluminum crank and bits except the shifters. Did not like the frame so the bike went away. I have a frame incoming and I think it needs silver Campy bits. It'a a Colnago Master with pretty wild paint.

I can get a Record 10 speed group that is silver except the shifters or go with new silver Potenza. Any opinions? Or tell me who cares and I will go with dark 11 speed Shimano.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM

The 11 speed stuff is nice. I say 11 personally over, at best, 10 year old parts.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
I can get a Record 10 speed group that is silver except the shifters or go with new silver Potenza. Any opinions? Or tell me who cares and I will go with dark 11 speed Shimano.
10-speed Record is great stuff. It's also old and no longer current.

Disclaimer: I haven't used the newer Campagnolo so I can't comment on it. Others seem to like it and I'm sure it's fine.

That said, I do have and use regularly 11-speed Shimano and am totally impressed with it, especially at the 105 level, which performs basically identically to my Dura Ace 11-speed at a much lower cost. Big fan here.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM
aka RAEKWON

really depends if you value gear dumping. If you do, you don't want potenza. If you don't, then potenza is just fine.

I like the 11 speed levers better so I will always pick 11 over 10 personally. Oh also, I like that its easy to find a mid cage 11 speed RD so I can run a 32T cassette
Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Administrator

11 speed all day.

here's why:

you can use shimano splined wheels and 5800 cassettes.

campy-10 was nice stuff, but it's all old and out of production. if you break a shifter, you're stuck scouring ebay for what you need, and you're tied to campy wheels and cassettes. there is much more versatility for the 11-sp sector.

IMO.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
11 speed all day.

here's why:

you can use shimano splined wheels and 5800 cassettes.

campy-10 was nice stuff, but it's all old and out of production. if you break a shifter, you're stuck scouring ebay for what you need, and you're tied to campy wheels and cassettes. there is much more versatility for the 11-sp sector.

IMO.
and how could I have forgotten that. 11 speed all day, shimano cassettes are cheap and work great
Old 06-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
and how could I have forgotten that. 11 speed all day, shimano cassettes are cheap and work great
10 sp veloce cassettes cost 40 dollars. How much cheaper is a shimano 11 sp cassette?
If you break a campagnolo 10sp shifter, you fix it.
Campagnolo 10sp is said to hold adjustments better and to be less finicky. I heard some complaints on Potenza being finicky to adjust.
If you can get a pristine record 10 group, jump on it. Unless you want compact cranks.
Another huge plus is the square taper bb but you won´t have compact rings. A 13-29 cassette is the answer but you will need a long cage derrailleur.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Hard core campy guy here, three road bikes with 11 speed, one with 10 speed. I've got a gravel bike with Ultegra and Ultegra level hydro (685) shifters and it works so well. I don't even see the reason for Di2 if the mechanical is this nice on all levels. Precise, a nice campy-like click when I shift, and the parts are cheap in comparison and carried in just about any LBS.

I don't know if I'll ever be fast again, but if I was building a go-fast bike I'd build it up with 8000.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Hard core campy guy here, three road bikes with 11 speed, one with 10 speed. I've got a gravel bike with Ultegra and Ultegra level hydro (685) shifters and it works so well. I don't even see the reason for Di2 if the mechanical is this nice on all levels. Precise, a nice campy-like click when I shift, and the parts are cheap in comparison and carried in just about any LBS.

I don't know if I'll ever be fast again, but if I was building a go-fast bike I'd build it up with 8000.
It´s a lugged steel italian bike; he wants campy bling and there isn´t anything wrong w/ that.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Long time campy user here. Campy 10 works so very well. Campy 11 is also exceptional but a little bit tweakier to set up and use. The lever shape is also quite different, with more of a saddle, less flat. Nevertheless, I'd suggest Athena or Potenza 11, they are excellent groupos and a wonderful value.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
10 sp veloce cassettes cost 40 dollars. How much cheaper is a shimano 11 sp cassette?
If you break a campagnolo 10sp shifter, you fix it.
Campagnolo 10sp is said to hold adjustments better and to be less finicky. I heard some complaints on Potenza being finicky to adjust.
If you can get a pristine record 10 group, jump on it. Unless you want compact cranks.
Another huge plus is the square taper bb but you won´t have compact rings. A 13-29 cassette is the answer but you will need a long cage derrailleur.
I just got a 105 cassette for $35.
A lot more wheelsets out there that take shimano so better choice.
I never had potenza so can't comment, I did have athena, also power shift, a breeze to setup.
Pristine Record 10 will be a lot more money than Potenza... Will also not be all silver.
Potenza crank, although not up to everyones high standards here, lets you do compact and standard by just changing chainrings.
You don't need long or mid cage to run a 13-29 cassette on 10 speed... I ran that on my centaur 10 for many years, perfect in every way and many people have also ran it. You don't however have an option for a 32T cassette AFAIK... You do with Potenza.

But to me, like I mentioned all comes down to lever shape and dumpage. 11 speed is that much nicer to me.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 06-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It´s a lugged steel italian bike; he wants campy bling and there isn´t anything wrong w/ that.
My Merckx has ten speed Record with alloy Centaur levers (rebranded alloy Chorus). The only carbon bit is the plates on the rear derailleur. It is a nice look. My 97 GT (Nobilette) has all alloy Athena. I get it but holy cow the new Ultegra 11 is nice.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 AM

I have 10 and potenza 11 in one bike, 11 works fine if you dont care about weight and you dont need to dump a lot of cogs in one click.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
^This. I have some 11 speed Shimano and yes it does work great. I just put a 6800 group on a friends bike this week. My next Shimano group will be 8000 me thinks. But no black crank for my incoming frame. Oh and I do not care about gear dumping.

This one with DA 9000 might work I guess. Not my frame. Here's a Master with Potenza from the floor of Adrenaline bikes, my new favorite shop!! Not sure what the wheels are but I can probably go with black rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colnago with DA 9000 crank_sized.jpg (84.0 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Adrenaline bikes store floor_sized.jpg (122.3 KB, 299 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 AM

I would go new Chorus 11. Black or whatever other color it comes in.
And a pair of Neutrons.

The red Colnago would look much better w/ BLACK components all over.