Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Soft used market example #76

I really hope someone here got this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectrum-Ti...-/263644221945

I pulled my snipe-bid at the last minute - surprisingly. If it'd had a bit longer top-tube, shorter head-tube, and no flames, I'd have bid upwards of $1650 for it...

Whoever got this for $935 is having one happy Cinco de Drinko
Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM

No matter the fame of the name on a frame, flames are always a lame, deal-breaking shame.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:55 AM

That is a gorgeous looking bike - I would treat that thing right!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:57 AM
hoolered

ayyyyyyyyy
Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
If it'd had a bit longer top-tube, shorter head-tube, and no flames, I'd have bid upwards of $1650 for it...
I think you answered your own question. The custom geometry and paint make it a niche item only suitable for a small percentage of the enthusiast cycling population. The sell price reflected the relatively small audience of potential buyers.

Greg
Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I think you answered your own question. The custom geometry and paint make it a niche item only suitable for a small percentage of the enthusiast cycling population. The sell price reflected the relatively small audience of potential buyers.

Greg
The small group of enthusiast of the cycling population use to have more bread
Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 AM

If i have more than 1k in my pocket to buy a frame i will not buy a custom for someone else frame painted w/ flames.
If it´s a Kellog job, i will make it fit for me in the barn. And spend what needs to be spent.

Last edited by colker; 05-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Part of the problem is the geometry and the other problem is the market, too many bikes to choose from for a buyer.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 AM

Road bikes that wont accept fattish tires are the least desirable segment now. I'm watching 3 bikes just sit that are wonderful bikes, but no market demand for skinny tire limitations.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Greg

Right about that. And I think the seller knows it. Hence, he plays "hide the weenie" with the head tube length, described only as "built for long distances".
Old 05-06-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
Road bikes that wont accept fattish tires are the least desirable segment now. I'm watching 3 bikes just sit that are wonderful bikes, but no market demand for skinny tire limitations.
This is relatively true, but there are a few exceptions. I just bought a carbon ti Wittson that only takes 23s new for 1/3rd of the retail price because of this.

An ottrott or meivici still hold a decent price used as well as a handful of others. It's great time for buyers to purchase these types of bikes though. I like my roadies that can fit 28+ tires, but you really can't beat the prices for a used Parlee or other top tier bikes that won't fit larger rubber.

I think Joost nailed it as well. Enthusiasts just don't have as much expendable income any more, so the market is starting to correct itself. The abundance of high end bikes far exceeds the amount of folks willing to throw down that kind of $$$.

Where I live 99% of people are riding trek/specialized/cannondale etc. I do see plenty of Serottas, but I'm only an hour from where they were built.
Most have never heard of the big name handbuilts that we are accustomed to seeing here.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
Fashion.
I rather ride a pure road bike in asphalt w/ 25mm tires and short chainstays. And i don´t mean manicured perfect asphalt: any city street feels good.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:55 AM

My 2 cents...

Painted titanium just does not sell well on resale market. Bare titanium holds value much better. Kellogg’s paint always looks beautiful in person though and is the most durable I have ever come across (a big issue when painting ti). I also have had to take a long time when selling just the frame, been easier selling entire bikes most places ( this forum may be the exception). At least the owners name is not under the clear coat somewhere, another deal breaker on used market for most.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Also

Thought the Super had internal routing for cable on top tube? My old one did and it looked much better. Whoever got this one got a great deal regardless. Spectrum’s ride great.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:01 AM

I may move a frameset or two this year and I expect to take a bath on them. Not worried about it though. Just freeing up some space will be liberating.

A decade ago the custom and handbuilt niche seemed to be thriving but today it seems to be way, way down. In my own case it's because I've become satisfied with what I have and don't imagine getting new stuff is going to improve my life or my riding.